Tube rolling 300B's help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanl, Jul 15, 2004.

1. alanl

alanl

Hi,

I've had my new amps for 5 weeks now and have been rolling tubes for the input and driver and have found large changes in sound with NOS tubes. The amps use input GE 12ay7 & driver Phillips 5687 standard and have settled on input Siemens 12au7 and driver is Raytheon CK5687WA. The change has opened up the sound and there is more space (air) around the sound stage.

I would now like to start trying some of the other 300B that are available, the amps have JJ 300B fitted stereophile give them the best of the rest award so not to bad. Western Elect 300B are just out as I need 8 in total that would be US$4000.

My question is has anyone here played with other 300B tube that they could recommend other than the JJ to try in my amp?

I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting but the Hi-Fi in me demands that need to keep trying to improve the sound (change) the sound I've got today. Change sometimes is a s good as a upgrade.

Thanks for any advise

Alan

alanl, Jul 15, 2004
  2. alanl

Lt Cdr Data om

try valve art, or eharmonix, don't think you can get better.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 15, 2004
  3. alanl

alanl

Here is the problem I'm having there are two Valve Art 300B's one a W/E copy and the Mesh plates. Which should I try? Every brand seems to have many different types.

cheers

Alan

alanl, Jul 15, 2004
  4. alanl

badchamp Thermionic Member

Hmmm...300b's. can be an expensive business :D I should know, my Audions use 4 :rolleyes:

I'm currently using Svetlanas (I like what they do but there remains a question mark over their reliabililty) about $75 each IIRC from Conus Audio in Canada. Good service, I'd certainly use them again.

There are a number of comparative reviews floating around on the web, I'll try and dig a few out and post 'em up.

Cheers
    Jeff

badchamp, Jul 15, 2004
  5. alanl

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

As Jeff has mentioned 300Bs can be an expensive business. But you can get better value for money by looking around.

I use Western Electric 300Bs on my Border Patrol. These are very good & not cheap. I also own Haromix 300B which can be had at a cheap price. I don't find them as good. Another one to try are the TJ electronic Mesh 300B which some rate as the best. I have read many good reviews about this value so it is worth a look. I hope to try some of these.

Here are some write ups on the 300B

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1201/300b/

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/ch300b/

http://www.stereophile.com/features/229/

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/300b_e.html

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 15, 2004
  6. alanl

alanl

SCIBD, thanks for the links. having read the the review on enjoythemusic I'm going to order 8 of the TJ 300B Mesh Anode Globe to try. If I don't like them I can always sell them on.

[​IMG]

alan

alanl, Jul 15, 2004
  7. alanl

merlin

So,

what would be the life expectancy of one of these out of interest? Ball park figure - give an idea of the cost of listening per hour. I have the chance to try a 300b push pull amp and am concerned by the replacement cost of these 300bs

merlin, Jul 15, 2004
  8. alanl

alanl

merlin,

In my single ended amp's 4 300B per channel I have worked out that if I listen to them every day for 10 hours I would get about 2-3 years life from them. I'm driving the tubes very hard as well. In a push pull amp that's not running the tubes as hard you should get 5-6 years depending on how hard your driving the tubes. Electro-Harmomix 300B's are cheap I've seen then sold for US$45.00 each

alan

alanl, Jul 15, 2004
  9. alanl

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Michael (Merlin),

It does depend on how they are biased, set up, filament voltages, etc. Also how well they are made & internal design. Western Electric 300B are claimed to last on average of 40,000 hours when operated with in the spec. My WE 300B are still going strong after a good few years.

You should get from 2000 hours to 10,000 hrs depending on make & type of 300B on average. Better built ones should last longer.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 15, 2004
  10. alanl

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Im using the above pictured 300B mesh plates.

Mesh plates seem to be the pick of the crop for those who cant stretch to W.E's.

Mine are slightly different with black base plates.

I cant compare them with others, as I went straight for these, in an amp that was new to me.

They were around 120 pounds each. ( I only needed 2 in my BP).
    With Svetlanas coming in around 80, and Western Electrics at $$no chance, it was a logical choice for me.

So far theyve proved very reliable and hum free. You get a more gentle broader glow over the mesh for whats that is worth, kind of like a bar fire on a very low setting.

Valve life is just an unknown mike really, luck is a big factor - just like a house full of lightbulbs all replaced at the same time with the same model pop months or even years apart.

Like has been said though, you'd be pissed off if you didnt get 2 years plus.

Chris

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2004
  11. alanl

Robbo

How does one know when to replace the valves? You dont just run them until they pop, that would damage the amp surely.

Robbo, Jul 15, 2004
  12. alanl

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hey Robbo.

Early warning signs are changing volume - it goes quieter and louder.
    If you then flick the valve with your finger things sort themselves out for a bit - a sure sign somethings going to pop pretty soon.

You can also tell by the colour of the valve, but I find that harder, and I tend to ignore the look of it, and wait until its obviously sonically knackered.

You dont need to worry if a valve pops. Just turn the amp off, it shouldnt do any harm.

:)

Dont worry, Im sure your baby is fine :D

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2004
Ask a Question