tube rolling a Shanling cdt80

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muzzer, May 12, 2007.

1. muzzer

muzzer

One of the hifi comics did a tube rolling excercise on the CDT 80 some time ago.Does anyone remember the article and what the outcome was, ie the best tubes for the player.
    Cheers

muzzer, May 12, 2007
  2. muzzer

zanash

this is really down to personal taste......

you can normally pick up several sets of signal valves [you don't mention the type] fairly cheaply ....

or contact

hotroxuk .....either on line or by phone very helpful chap who will point you in the right dirrection

zanash, May 13, 2007
  3. muzzer

DennyL

I know the article you mean, it was in Hi-Fi World. I have the same Shanling and bought the valves they found best. They were RCA, I think. I could look when I get home and let you know.

DennyL, May 15, 2007
  4. muzzer

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

If the triode output stage is as (inexplicably) op-amp laden as their other cdp's, then bypassing them would probably yield a bigger improvement than slotting in some overpriced RCA tubes from yesteryear.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, May 15, 2007
  5. muzzer

muzzer

I have the cdp on loan to see if I like it.It has already been modified with a Tent clock/psu and its sounding pretty impressive compared to my normal Naim 3.5/psu,much more detailed and easier to listen to long term without being boring.I think Chevin Audio do a mod where the opamps are bypassed.

muzzer, May 15, 2007
  6. muzzer

Colin2040

I have the cd t 80 and have the or rather had the rcas fitted and very good it was but I subsequently replaced them with cryo treated valves which were a big improvement over the rca.Cant remember valve make off hand but the rca were good . Were not too expensive got them from states on e bay about £8 or £9 if I remember correctly.

Colin2040, May 16, 2007
  7. muzzer

muzzer

I have found an article on another forum by the author of the hi-fi world article.It is the RCA 5670 that he recommends, anyone know where to source them?

muzzer, May 23, 2007
Ask a Question