Tubes vs Solid State - where to start?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Corruption, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Corruption

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I had ATC SCM 35's and my valve monoblocks really had to work to move them.
    I've now gone to Ref 3A's which are much easier and kept the Prima Luna monoblocks.
    I currently use a conrad johnson pre , the PV15 and love the detail and sound i'm getting out of it.
    However....I'm always up for a change so if you fancy a CJ PV15 pre, let me know !

Pure_Carbon, Aug 6, 2008
  2. Corruption

Corruption

Pure_Carbon,

Thanks for the offer. Where are you and how much are you after for the PV15? My budget is fairly limited unless I can sell/trade-in my current pre-amp.

Regards

Neil

Corruption, Aug 6, 2008
  3. Corruption

I live in Monmouthshire , the Wye Valley , Chepstow area.
    I paid £1500 for it , but have been offered something exotic as a replacement pre amp which is tickling my fancy , so would consider selling the CJ.
    Am looking at get in that region back, £1400 ish ?
    If the offer of the other amp wasn't on the table, this wouldn't be for sale, it's a cracking pre !!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
    Pure_Carbon, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Corruption

Corruption

That's a bit beyond my budget I'm afraid :-(

What are you replacing it with, sounds intriguing!?

Corruption, Aug 7, 2008
  5. Corruption

A friend of a friend has offered me his Tom Evans Groove + phono stage and Vibe pre amp, but I have to take them both or nothing.
    The CJ and Whest phono stage will both be up for sale soon !

Pure_Carbon, Aug 7, 2008
  6. Corruption

grivois

Hi,

I've already purchased two ready-made units from Diyhifi, a Django preamp and a LCR Cole phono, both of which have been impeccably built and haven't required any expert intervention.

Where have you positioned your phono stage and PSU in relation to your turntable? As with all phonos that use step-up and LCR TXs, careful positioning is critical to avoid hum. Does your PSU have the aluminium cover?

Cheers, grivois

grivois, Aug 8, 2008
  7. Corruption

Baudrillard

Hi

Glad to hear your samples are fine.

The PS hum might just be from using a cheap transformer. Phono stage is about half a metre from a Spacedeck (three shelves below) and the ps is just under a metre away. The PSU looks to be pressed steel but not sure- its the standard one

Did you adjust yours inside for connecting to an active or passive preamp?

Baudrillard, Aug 9, 2008
  8. Corruption

grivois

Hi, Try moving the phono stage as far from your ancillary equipment as possible. With careful positioning, my Cole has no hum, even at max volume! If I site the stage next to or near my turntable or amp, I get hum.

If you have dirty mains, the PS case can buzz, that's why DIYhifi now fit an alloy cover and include a DC blokker in the PS.

I haven't had to make any internal adjustments to my Cole. It has plenty of gain and sounds superb with my 0.24mV output cartridge into my Leben amp, which features a passive preamp section.

Cheers, grivois

grivois, Aug 9, 2008
  9. Corruption

Corruption

Does anyone here have any experience using either the Conrad-Johnson Premier 14 or the Audio Synthesis Passion 8M?

I am currently considering both as upgrades to my current Pre-amp.

Thanks

Neil

Corruption, Aug 12, 2008
  10. Corruption

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi B

I read that some 'Cole' amplifiers had gain through a magnetic cover. It was cured with a little damping.

A cheap fix may be to add damping material on the inside of the cover. It will cost little to try.

I saw a forum article on it at the DIY hifisupply forum, worth a look.

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2008
  11. Corruption

grivois

This might cure buzzing, like the alloy cover, but not hum!

grivois

grivois, Aug 12, 2008
  12. Corruption

mtbguy68

Hi Corruption,

I actually have both tube and solid state amplifications. My primary system consist of a BAT preamp and a Plinius power amp which i settled on after a number of changes. I've had the same combination for the last 5 years and have not found any new amps to replace their synergy.

I also have an Aronov tube power amp which i am planning to use in a smaller bedroom system.

If you are in London, you are more than welcome to come around and have a listen to my system. I can also switch the power amps around if you want to hear an all tube amplification.

Cheers
    Alan

mtbguy68, Aug 13, 2008
  13. Corruption

Corruption

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Bristol so unfortunately I won't be able to take you up on it.

I'll take your word for it that it sounds great :) - I must admit I've never heard any BAT kit, but the Plinius amps that I heard at the Hi-Fi show here earlier this year sounded fantastic, powering some huge Dynaudio floorstanders I think.

How did you arrive at your current combination? Was it simply a matter of testing lots of different kit, or did you upgrade one part and then another? I'm really struggling to decide whether a pre- or power-amp upgrade to tubes would give me an improvement....

Thanks

Neil

Corruption, Aug 13, 2008
  14. Corruption

Baudrillard

I'll give that a try. Cheers.

I did post on his forum but he ignored it.

My original point about them still applies. If there are problems that they are unable to fully resolve, you are stuck, despite it being new. I was also advised by the company to open up the unit and make quite tricky adjustments with a multimeter, this despite it being 'obvious' that I was a complete novice. I was lucky not to get electricuted or short the unit (came very close to both). It has no CE stamp either.

That's why I'd recommend to a non-diyer who's got a grand to spend on a new phono stage, to consider buying it from within the UK instead of Hong Kong.

Baudrillard, Aug 13, 2008
  15. Corruption

mtbguy68

Hi Neil,

My journey to my current pre/power combination is like everyone else I think. Started with a Pioneer A400 when I was a poor student then went through various Cyrus/Arcam integrated amps.

I was lucky enough to buy a Chord SPM1000B when the distributor closed down. That was my first really good amp and really showed me what I was missing. I had to get a powerful amp because my speakers are the Celestion Kingstons which I think are fantastic speakers sadly boxed in storage at home.

I stumbled on BAT amplification when I was travelling through the US well before there was any distribution in Australia. That was also my first contact with tube gear. I decided to buy one from the US dealer. I had the BAT/Chord combination for a few years as I try to not update too often so I can travel and also buy more music especially vinyl.

A move to apartment living exposed that combination to some hum which I could not fix, I could not run the pre balanced since the Chord actually did not have a true balanced connection as advised by Chord so decided to look for another power amp that was truly balanced.

Well the Plinius was the default amp since its made in New Zealand and cost about half about what it costs in the US and UK. Took the BAT to the Plinius dealer two hours away from Sydney and wow even my brother thought the sound was amazing. The dealer also was amazed at the combination. Both myself and my brother now runs Plinius.

When I moved to London for work I actually didn't bring my Plinius SA250 IV as it was much too heavy to bring but brought my BAT and the Aronov LS960 power amp instead. While I actually liked this combination I missed the bass grip of the Plinius when playing electronic music. So when I saw a used Plinius SA100MKIII came up I grabbed it and I've been a happy chap since.

Its not as powerful as the SA250 but my speakers are more sensitive than the Celestions so no problems there.

I think I have been quite lucky to stumble on this combination and like I said I've had it for 5 years.

The Aronov amp I bought to try tube amplification, its a good amplifier but I actually think I need to run more sensitive speakers to get the best out of it. I will use it in a second system.

Sorry that i can't be more of assistance to your situation. If someone asked me if I have a preference I actually can't say that I do. I prefer the Bat pre and a Plinius power amp but thats not to say that another combination using Audio Research/BAT/Conrad Johnson pre/power can't deliver the same enjoyment.

Good Luck in your search. If you are at my end of the woods feel free to contact me and I am more than happy for your to listen.

Cheers
    Alan

mtbguy68, Aug 13, 2008
  16. Corruption

SMEagol Because we wants it...

pm sent

SMEagol, Aug 13, 2008
  17. Corruption

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Do you know anyone who can help you?

If not and you can get to Milton Keynes pop by.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Aug 14, 2008
  18. Corruption

Baudrillard

It's all sorted now- Just the psu, but I'll try sticking some foam under the lid, as you suggested. Cheers :)

Baudrillard, Aug 14, 2008
Ask a Question