tuner choices

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muffinman, Mar 30, 2005.

1. muffinman

muffinman

with the impending completion of my wad6550 i will be left without a tuner. my current denon amp has one built in you see.
    i have a pure evoke in the bedroom and like the choice available from DAB but appreciate a good strong fm signal as much as anyone. i only have £120 to spend so s/h is on the cards. does anyone have any views on products i really should check out
    ta in advance

muffinman, Mar 30, 2005
  2. muffinman

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

NAD 4225 off of Ebay - nice and musical and fairly cheap...

I got mine from Smack Generators in 2002 - for - wait for it - £12!!!!!!

domfjbrown, Mar 30, 2005
  3. muffinman

RSC

Yes, at the budget end, NAD or Denon are good, but your £120 might also get you a S/H Arcam (T21/Alpha 7 or 8) or Creek tuner, either of which will paste the budget stuff!
    Alternatively, try to find an old Quad FM3 or Leak Troughline Stereo (these are NOT made up!), which you might just get for the money. These last two are definitely the class of the field... and valved, too!
    Obviously, with the valve tuners, there will be no remote/RDS/pre-sets, but if SQ is what you seek, then look no further...

RSC, Mar 30, 2005
  4. muffinman

lordsummit moderate mod

A second for the Arcam. You should definitely be able to find a second hand T51 for that money. That's a lovely sounding tuner. Otherwise you may well find a Quad 3 for something similair

lordsummit, Mar 30, 2005
Ask a Question