turn it up man

Discussion in 'General Music' started by themadhippy, Jul 23, 2003.

1. themadhippy

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

just been blasting out a rather battered compalation lp "rock machine,i love you" i picked up for 10p at a boot sale
    whilst ive got stuff by most of the artists on the lp theres one or 2 gems i aint heard before,
    first up "brandenburgh concerto no3 in G major 2nd movement" from "switched on bach", bach played on synthasisers, cant see the classical buffs appoving but guess who know wants the whole lp:D sevral exallent tracks later comes" taj mahal , a lot of love" wow turn it up, very simalar bass line to gimme some lovin( one of hippy all time fav's),fantastic stomping blues,so good i played it 3 times :shame: ,must get some more of there stuff especially "the natch'l blues",then theres leonard cohen and the birds, big brother and electric flag and o sod it think i'll play it again:D

themadhippy, Jul 23, 2003
  2. themadhippy

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Hippy - I saw Switched on Bach in Oxfam in Bracknell -been there a while... I could pick it up if you want (or do you an MD copy from my copy - he he he!). The whole album's pretty cool.

Oh hang on - Henryt has it on CD so maybe PM him - it'll be better than my crackly version...

domfjbrown, Jul 24, 2003
  3. themadhippy

HenryT

The "2nd movement" of Brandenberg Concerto No. 3? :eek: That's unusual, the !1st movement" is the famous one i.e. the music which used to be used as the theme tune to the Antiques Roadshow.

Actually, I couldn't quite remember what the version on SOB sounded like, so I played the whole album last night. Well, I think the rest of the album might be a bit disappointment if you're expecting more of the same kind of abstractness, as the rest of the is rather "conventional" (but still very fun in a totally non high brow kind of way) compared to the 2nd movement of Brandenberg 3. Not surprsing I suppose, as Bach never actually wrote an official full score for the 2nd movement, just some a set of chords which he instructed should be "improvised" around. I quite like the result on SOB, fairly weird though. Sort of reminicient of the music from the film "A Clockwork Orange", eh? Not surprising seeing as the music in that film was composed and performed (on early analog synths) by the same guy/gal :)confused: ;) ) .

Yeah, PM your details Hippy if you fancy a CD-R copy, gratis. :) The original CD has long since been deleted and seem to be quite hard to find, and AFAIK you can only now buy the SOB CD in a boxset which is quite pricey.

HenryT, Jul 24, 2003
  4. themadhippy

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

10p! you don't get them that cheap in the HMV sales :D. My LP collection is starting to match that of my CD one now because I can buy LPs so damn cheap unless of course they are classic vynil must have albums such as Automatic For The People.

amazingtrade, Jul 24, 2003
  5. themadhippy

tones compulsive cantater

Henry's right, there is no second movement for Brandenburg No.2, just some continuo chords. Opinion is divided as to whether this was to be preceded by an improvisation (common in music in those days) or whether this was just a short bridging passage between the main movements. The one on SOB is Movement No.1.

Although I prefer Bach on the instruments for which it was intended, I actually don't mind Walter (now Wendy) Carlos's efforts. S/he starts the album with a very effective version of the sinfonia that starts Cantata BWV29, and there are various other interesting tidbits. I think Bach's music is big enough to take it - moreover, the man himself loved nothing more than putting a new organ through its paces. He would have loved a synthesiser.

There was a second album (name forgotten) that included other composers. In the final track, Carlos tried to modulate the synthesiser to reproduce the human voice - and the chosen piece was the opening chorus of my beloved Monteverdi's vespers. It did sound vaguely human, but I think the art has some way to go.

tones, Jul 24, 2003
  6. themadhippy

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

but thats breaking the copyright,i could get in trouble ,o hang on its for work so our prs licence will cover it :D
    As for the 2nd movement no idea,im just going on whats on the sleeve notes,it is rather good though

themadhippy, Jul 24, 2003
  7. themadhippy

tones compulsive cantater

Hippy, here's a link to the Brandenburgs:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/4660/MidiBach-BC.htm

In fact, the music that plays as you open the link is Brandenburg No.3, 1st Movement, which is the best-known part of all the Brandenburgs and the one that Carlos does, I believe. Notice that in No.3 it gives the 2nd and 3rd Movements together. The original sleeve on "Switched-on Bach" called the Brandenburg movement "allegro", which is either 1st or 3rd Movement, but definitely not 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2003
    tones, Jul 25, 2003
  8. themadhippy

HenryT

Sounds like you're talking about "The Well Tempered Synthesizer" Tones. :) The Monteverdi doesn't quite seem to work IMHO, seems a bit slow and dragging, but the Handel (Watermusic) seems to do the trick:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/+wts.html

Looks like I was wrong about most of his/her CD back catalog being deleted, they've re-released all the single discs again seperately

http://www.wendycarlos.com/discs.html

The SOB 4 disc boxset I have at home is detailed here, effectively SOB vol 1 & 2, WTS and Switched-On Brandenbergs:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/+sobox.html#contents boxset

HenryT, Jul 25, 2003
Ask a Question