Turntable Advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by slammed56, Mar 23, 2008.

1. slammed56

slammed56

Can anyone help me out with this ......

My mate has been working in New York for the last 3 years and is now returning home to the UK next month .
    He is shipping his Hifi setup over to his parents next week and has offered me the chance of buying his turntable setup as he is CD ONLY now.
    The problem that I have is will his deck work on UK voltages .
    He seems to think that it should be OK (but is not 100%)
    I have tried to contact the manufacturer but have had no luck in getting a reply from them .

This is my last chance as he needs to know if I want it shipped by the 26th ( If I dont buy it he will leave it with his flatmate to sell in the US )

The deck is a VPI super scoutmaster with the SDS control unit

They seem to be very well reveiwed decks costing $6000 or there abouts ( I have been offered this for £2k inc a Shelter 501 delivered).

Does anyone have any Info/experiance with VPI decks or can help with my US to UK voltage question.

Thanks

slammed56, Mar 23, 2008
  2. slammed56

peez

this is not 100% accurate, but an educated guess, if the motor unit on these decks is dc, then it will use a transformer, and as such i know that you will be able to secure a power supply for it, however if its ac then it may be a different matter as it will have a 110 ac motor, the question is then wether you can adjust the voltage settings. You could call VPI direct and ask them over the phone, for that kind of bargain i would. best of luck.

peez, Mar 24, 2008
  3. slammed56

alphatoner

One thing for certain is that if he has been using it in the states then it will be 110v the question is then

1. does it accept dual supply and therefore also run on 220-240v
    2. If it can't can you change the power supply.

The answer is it doesn't really matter just buy an external transformer to convert 110v to 240v THIS one only costs £15.48 inc

The only thing that you need to be carefull of with Step-Up transforners is that they operate at the correct wattage, this one is 100w if you need more you will have to pay more but should be no problem to find out the wattage of the VPI.

So i would say grab it with both hands knowing that one way or another you can get it to work in the UK at at fairly minimal cost.

alphatoner, Mar 24, 2008
  4. slammed56

slammed56

Thanks for all your advice guys

Just had confirmation that the SDS power unit that is supplied with the SSM will work no problem in any country....this is great news

Lets hope that it arrives in one piece (or rather 3 boxes)

Will post up some pics when it gets here and let you all know what I think of it .

Thanks

slammed56, Mar 24, 2008
Ask a Question