Turntable and speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Goomer, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Goomer

Goomer

Okay, for one reason or another I am no longer wishing to retain my LP12 or Kaber loudspeakers, so am looking for suggestions for replacements for both.

Initial t/t thoughts point me towards an Orbe:- I've dealt with Michell in the past and have always been impressed by their customer support, have heard good things about and from the deck(the one I heard was fitted with an SME5 and unknown cart), and it provides me with the essential 45rpm option. I've also thought about the Garrard 301/401 route but have never actually heard one, so would welcome comments from people who have. Any other suggestions for replacements (locally, I have dealers that stock Michell, Notts Analogue and Rega, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to do side by side demos).

Speaker-wise, I'm really not so sure. The Kabers are (in my humble and possibly in the minority opinion) lovely speakers, with the only flaws that I can find being a lack of bottom end welly, and this is as much to do with the amps I'm using as it is anything else, I think. I love the presentation and, although I've heard criticism from some saying that they are a tad on the dry side, would like to retain some of their qualities.

Amp is a Naim 32.5/hicap/160, and I intend on keeping my Syrinx PU3/Ortofon Kontrapunkt 'b' arm/cart combo for whichever deck I end up with (at least initially).

Your thoughts on possibles for my shortlist would be very much appreciated. Please note, however, that Linn is not an option.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2004
    Goomer, Oct 27, 2004
  2. Goomer

Dick Bowman

Well, I've had a Gyrodec now for about 15 years - it's a bit like the gardener's trusty fork ("oi've had this ere fork for all me life, only had three new handles and a couple of new ends in all that time"). Over the years, new springs, bearing, power supplies, DC motor, Pedersen armboard - all just keeping up to date rather than repairing anything (I did have an AC motor that went noisy - Michell serviced it but to no great effect). It does what it's supposed to (which is more than a Linn I once had was capable of) - as you say, Michell (and at least one of their dealers) are decent people. Thought about the Orbe platter or the full Pedersen mod, but vinyl's not my main source these days, so they didn't seem worth the cost/effort.

If I was looking to buy a turntable today I might look in a different direction - but that's partly change for the sake of it and partly because I find the Gyro plug-ugly.

Dick Bowman, Oct 27, 2004
  3. Goomer

Goomer

Thanks for that, Dick. I've heard only good recommendations as far as Michell go (and have previously owned and loved a Focus), so they're staying close to the top of the list at present. Is the Gyro easy to set up?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Goomer, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Goomer

Dick Bowman

All the spring twiddling can be done from the top with the Gyro. There are some step-by-step guides if you do a Web search - not sure whether mine's "optimal", but it wobbles around without bits banging into each other and seems to sound OK. I'm sure an expert could tweak it a bit. Hope that helps.

Dick Bowman, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Goomer

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I like the Michell Orbe and suspect that their new arm is one of the bargains of the century (although you say you want to keep your current arm for now). Notts Analogue are also excellent. Tom Alves has the Rega (P9?) and may be willing to give his view on how it compares with his ex-Sondek.

As for speakers, what's your budget?

And Chris, dish the dirt. What have Linn done to p*ss you off?

7_V, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Goomer

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Now I don't like the Orbe!
    I find it rather sterile and unmusical...
    If you want toe tapping, I think the best option at or near the Orbe price is the Nouvelle Platine Verdier, though you need a serious heavy-duty support for it..
    Next I'd say the Clearaudio offerings, such as the Revolution, or perhaps a Solution with Souther TQ arm...
    Then the Amazon model 1..
    All of those are available from www.walrus.co.uk (as well as the Orbe - you can test them all against it and see if you agree with me!), and all are very musical, but still highly transparent.
    Speaker-wise, what sort of price?
    There's the MeadowLark mafia option, but if you're checking Walrus anyway, check out the Duevel range.. Cracking speakers with amazing presence, and love or loathe looks.

leonard smalls, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Goomer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I like your speakers. I think you'd have to spend a fair whack to do better.

I think you can get an improvement over the LP12 (in my opinion on what an improvement is of course) for similar money as you'd get for flogging the LP12.

A second hand Nottingham Analogue Interspace is better IMHO. TonyL swapped his LP12 for a N.A. deck, and you should see the guys record collection.

A Kuzma Stabi/Stogi S is better than an LP12 IMHO

Orbes, Clearaudio's, Platines etc all nice - but the above can be had second hand for about 600 including arm, for which you'd never get a Platine or an Orbe for example.

Chris

NB IMHO the Kuzma sounds the best of the above two.

bottleneck, Oct 27, 2004
  8. Goomer

Goomer

Thanks for all these replies - given me something to think about. I'd forgotten about Clearaudio so will scout around to see if anyone locally stocks them. Interesting to see someone saying they don't particularly like the Orbe - I had the chance a while ago to hear my Lingo'd LP12 against one and preferred the LP12 marginally, thinking at the time that the Orbe was the more sterile sounding of the two, albeit only very slightly.

Not actually set at the moment but it's likely to be what I can make on the Kabers, plus a couple of hundred quid extra. Whereabouts are you located, Steve, as I'd be interested in giving your ones a listen.

You have PM.

Thanks again to all,

Chris.

Goomer, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Goomer

titian

Chris,
    my type of TT and my type of LS won't be bad... :D

titian, Oct 29, 2004
  10. Goomer

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Steve,

If you are referring to the Michell Tecnoarm then you are spot on. The Technoarm is much better than the over-hyped and much more expensive Origin Live Silver which in itself is not much better than a rewired Incognito Rega RB300.

How do I know? I used to own the Incognito RB300 (and still do although no longer in use) and borrowed the OL Silver with a view to buying but did not as I was not impressed with it's sound vs the cost. At a friend's house, we put up the OL Silver against the Tecnoarm but suffice to say, my friend bought the cheaper Tecnoarm as it was clearly the better arm. One day, Hifi World magazine will also acknowledge this fact. ;)

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2004
    Lawrie, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Goomer

Joolsburger

Joolsburger, Oct 29, 2004
  12. Goomer

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I know. I bought the O.L. Silver, Lawrie. :(

I'm near Oxted in Surrey, which is about 10 minutes from J6 of the M25. You'd be most welcome, Chris. I've just had the drivers on my demo system renovated so they're like new and I'll be putting them up for sale soon - but come and listen whether you're buying or not.

7_V, Oct 29, 2004
  13. Goomer

Lord .

For the turntable this is another vote for Nottingham Analogue Studios, try and find the heaviest one you can afford.
    They truly are magnificent sounding and are fit and forget unlike those flimsy, lightweight, tweaky, bouncy efforts! ;)
    Tom Fletcher will happily make an armmount for whichever tonearm you wish and his rates are exceedingly reasonable, it will probably be cheaper than most Linn dealers charge for a 'service'.

For the 'speakers, I cannot say as the amplifier/loudspeaker combination is so crucial.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2004
    Lord, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Goomer

I demmed the Orbe against a Nouvelle PLatine Verdier, Clearaudio Revolution, Kuzma Stogi/StabiS, Amazon 1, Avid Volvere and SME10..
    The Orbe came last, with the SME 2nd last, then the Kuzma, Amazon, Clearaudio/Avid joint second and Verdier first..
    I didn't get the Verdier because of it's size, and the fact that ideally it needs 2 supports (1 for TT, one for motor), and I got a very good deal on the Clearaudio - which was the most handsome.
    And before anyone says owt about the Orbe and arm matching etc, it had an SME V and Clearaudio Victory, vs. the Verdiers' Hadcock/Dyn 20 combo, so the French beast was much cheaper!

leonard smalls, Oct 29, 2004
  15. Goomer

dominicT former member

pay Walrus a visit

As Leonard suggests, you can demo so may T/Ts side by side at Walrus (london) that it is a trip worthwhile, they know their T/Ts and also sell stuff second hand. I've known Les a while and he is a great guy. Dominic

dominicT, Nov 7, 2004
  16. Goomer

Lt Cdr Data om

glad to know I am not the only one who didn't like the michell deck, always hankered after one, but it was very sterile sounding and robotic.
    I have a 'slight' theory equipment is tainted by its materials, and techno stuff sounds, well clinical,...gross generalisation but an element of truth.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 7, 2004
  17. Goomer

Often true...
    F'rinstance, I always felt the Steinberger and other graphite necked bass guitars were very dead sounding compared to lovely real wood (like a Warwick or Wal).
    However, my Clearaudio is quite techno but still sounds incredibly musical...

leonard smalls, Nov 8, 2004
  18. Goomer

wflem007

wflem007, Nov 8, 2004
Ask a Question