Turntable + arm for c.£1K - 1.5K

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, May 27, 2007.

1. keith

keith

Have an unexpected opportunity to replace current turntable + arm - "ARISTON AUDIO RD80SL mk2" TURNTABLE + "SRM" solid silicone mat + "ALPHASON HR100S" ARM with ceramic bearings + "AUDIO TECHNICA AT150MLX" CARTRIDGE (boron shaft, ceramic body, microline stylus) (Japan-sourced 2005 model) + "SRM" sorbothane clamp. All seated on "VECTEUR" neoprene-ringed spikes, on [#], on "TARGET" wall frame (default shelf replaced by 100mm thick pinewood). Mains-supplied via "Paravicini/Hi-Fi News" electronic mains stabiliser & speed control. Linked by "Homegrown" 3-ply plaited solid silver leads to amplifier via "GRAHAM SLEE GRAMAMP 2" (2002 model) PHONO PREAMPLIFIER.

So far, various combos have crossed my mind, e.g. "Acoustic Signature" / "Morch".

Comments would be very welcome, please.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, May 27, 2007
  2. keith

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Keith,

In a way, there has never been a better time to buy a turntable. There is alot of choice. Downside is getting to hear all the options against each other.

The Ariston was a well regarded deck in the 80s. I was one of the mid price choices. You Alphason arm was quite rated and is very good. Not familar with the cartridge. I do think the curent crop of decks on the market will beat your setup.

You could look at the Acoustic Signature as a start bench mark. The Challenger at £1395 looks a good start point. You could try it with your Alphason arm.

Another one to try is the Nottingham Analogue Ace Spacedeck at £1100. Another well and heavy turntable. A great sounding deck.

The Avid Diva at £1200 is another one to look at. You may or may not like it's looks but it puts in a very performance.

The Michell Gyrodek SE at £987 is another at around that price and one that may be worth looking at.

The Rega P7 at £1298 is another interesting design that is different to the others. Uses some interesting materials. This come with an arm.

VPI Aries Scout is a deck I have liked on hearing. At £1300 including arm, it is a nice package.

This lot should give you food for thought.

Add to the above is a wide range of 2nd hand and ex-dem items that can be had within your budget.

The Morch arms are very good but not cheap. worth finding 2nd hand if you can.

SCIDB

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007
    SCIDB, May 29, 2007
  3. keith

Tim F

Make sure you budget for a decent phono stage. I bought a Nottingham Analogue, excellent deck.

Tim F, May 29, 2007
  4. keith

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Tim,

Keith has a Graham Slee which will get him going.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 29, 2007
  5. keith

keith

Interesting point. Have listened to the GramAmp 2 and the 2 Special Edition - couldn't hear any difference!

Wonder if moving up to the Gold would be beneficial...?

Thanks for the list - really helpful. Tho as you say, finding them altogether is impossible. Thought I might try "Analogue Seduction" - they have a lot of t/ts.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, May 29, 2007
  6. keith

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Keith,

I was going to suggest Analogue Seduction as they stock the Avid, the Nottingham and VPI decks.

I have never been but they did respond quickly to an email I sent.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 29, 2007
  7. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

Funk V

anon_bb, May 29, 2007
  8. keith

Ant

The difference is not one of those subtle "I think this is nicer" it's a completely different beast. I like the Era Gold, it produces a very solid sound that is direct and fast. I had the Gram Amp 2 SE and didn't think it was anything special, easily beaten by a built in stage in the Musical Fidelity pre I had.

Ant, May 30, 2007
  9. keith

hifi addict

I agree a Funk V Arthur came over and demmed the Funk V with a RB250 and a Golring Cartridge. A very good Dem.

hifi addict, May 30, 2007
  10. keith

darrylfunk

funk v

roksan nima

and denon dl 304

awesome for the money.

darrylfunk, May 30, 2007
  11. keith

keith

Thanks for comments.

I presume "Walrus" is worth a visit also?

The "Nima" seems to crop up all over the place, complete with good comments. Will follow this up, I think.

I note that "W. Benesch" doesn't crop up much. Anyone have experience of them? Logically (a dubious term to use, I know!), a setup like the 'Full Circle' where everything is made to work together seems sensible...

keep the phase
    keith

keith, May 30, 2007
  12. keith

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Keith,

I was going suggest Walrus as well. May be worth the trek as they seem to have the biggest stash of turntables in the country. You will be able to hear the Acoustic Signature Challanger, the Nottingham Analogue Ace Space deck, the Michell Gyrodek and the Rega P7. They also do the Funk Firm Vector and a number of other contenders.

I like the look of the Nima arm. There have been many good comments about it.

I have heard the wilson Benesch Circle deck. Not bad but you can do better. I have heard it against a Avid Diva with a rega RB250 and a DNM cartridge. The Diva had control to the music. The detail and resolution also came across better.

Between Analogue Seductions and Walrus, you have most of the options covered.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 30, 2007
  13. keith

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, May 30, 2007
  14. keith

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I would also plug Walrus, but Noteworthy are also top TT people.

As for TT themselves, my ears selected a Clearaudio, and love it.

Levi_501, May 30, 2007
  15. keith

keith

Interesting... Can you describe how you would go about auditioning a group of turntables, in a shop demo?

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jun 5, 2007
  16. keith

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Phone Walrus :D

Levi_501, Jun 5, 2007
  17. keith

keith

Been there - done that - got the t-shirt

(at least, I will have when I go to Walrus in July):cool:

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jun 5, 2007
  18. keith

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

sounds like a great place to start. I think that's not too far from Derby too, although I'm not 100%

You might want to take your Graham Slee with you too, for comparisons, and to make sure you get a good match.

bottleneck, Jun 5, 2007
  19. keith

keith

Auditioning turntables must be the most complicated of all...?

Inherently you have 3 appendices that affect judgement: an arm and a cartridge and a stand - without these you cannot listen to the t/t.:(

Even if the 3 are duplicated as closely as possible for each t/t, there is likely to be sufficient difference to colour any disc reproduction. You also have the fact that the rest of the shop's system isn't your own so the sound is 'foreign'.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jun 6, 2007
  20. keith

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

and phonostage

Uncle Ants, Jun 6, 2007
Ask a Question