Turntable + arm for c.£1K - 1.5K

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, May 27, 2007.

1. keith

Stereo Mic

The Raven is currently getting a lot of hype on UK internet forums. I understand that the buyers are being encouraged to keep threads going about them - particularly on Pink Fish. I also understand that all of the decks sold in the UK have come from that thread.

Good marketing but it seems like a decent deck. At that price point though, I'd also seriously consider a Vpi Super Scout Master (imported from US) along with the SME 10 or the Kuzma with a tweaked SME iV installed. All of these decks would have the advantage of being readily available and coming from established brands with a good history of service and support.

Stereo Mic, Aug 6, 2007
  2. keith

keith

Thanks all. I studied the Scoutmaster as the likely choice from the VPI range, but am bothered by the poor innate method of bias adjustment (not apparently much improved by the add-on threaded weight option, which can be 'heard' through the arm). This may be seen as pernickity to some readers, but as a music audio restorer I regularly come across vinyls that are well worn on 1 channel - usually the right of course - and recognise the benefit (for my circumstance:)) of 'centralised' groove tracking.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Aug 6, 2007
  3. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

I heard the little raven at a show - it didn't sound remarkable though the setup may have been responsible. Acoustic signature / solid would be worth checking out as well as the pt / funk.

anon_bb, Aug 6, 2007
  4. keith

Stereo Mic

Fair enough Keith. Some people are concerned others aren't.

I was at one point when I owned a Scout but I have to say in Vpi's defence, my records still sound absolutely fine and my cartridge is still in good shape. I'm unaware of anyone having wear issues with Vpi turntables, but given the obsessiveness of our hobby, I can well understand the concerns.

The SuperscoutMaster though is a mighty fine turntable which would cost the same as a Raven/Vivid if bought for say Elusive Disc. The £/$ rate at the moment makes it one hell of a bargain.

Stereo Mic, Aug 6, 2007
  5. keith

johnhunt recidivist

mic

I'm not sure where you get your information from but can't say anyone's asked me to do anything of the sort.

''I understand that the buyers are being encouraged to keep threads going about them - particularly on Pink Fish''

johnhunt, Aug 6, 2007
  6. keith

johnhunt recidivist

and..........

johnhunt, Aug 7, 2007
  7. keith

beeroclock

Hi Keith

Just to clarify the thread started with turntables between £1-1.5K, the Raven 1 with vivid unless I'm mistaken is £2875. At this amount there are any number of second hand options available - not least the SME 20, Nottingham Hyperspace and Avid Volvere/sequels.

regards philip

beeroclock, Aug 7, 2007
  8. keith

keith

"And you win a free burial at sea with a woman of your own choice"...:cool:

Yes, the cash has risen, so that those you mention are feasable.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Aug 8, 2007
  9. keith

keith

Curious:eek:

Is "Immedia" still in business?

I recall someone in Winchester that I used to know had one of their t/ts, with I think a SME arm.

There is a website, but no-one appears to stock their t/ts.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Aug 12, 2007
  10. keith

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I believe they are now called 'spiral groove' same designer Perkins?
    Heard their new tt ,20K Euros pretty table.

Purite Audio, Aug 12, 2007
Ask a Question