Turntable cable ? Problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Colin2040, May 16, 2010.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

I have recently aquired a Luxman PD300 with SME III arm.I am getting interference on left channel which is irritating. I have not switched cable around yet,it has rca connections and a seperate lead to see if the noise switches channels.Any thoughts would be appreciated. Its a bit of a pain as the connections are just that bit awkward to get at.
    Thanks in advance

Colin2040, May 16, 2010
  2. Colin2040

johnandchris

First thing, as you rightly said, change them round. If the noise changes channels then you have a problem with the cable. Could be a dry solder joint/broken shielding etc. If the sound continues in the same channel then could be a dy solder etc on the arm. Also check the headshell leads are on correctly and not touching each other/on the right way round.

John

johnandchris, May 16, 2010
  3. Colin2040

RobHolt Moderator

If the cable is damaged, fixing a connection within the plugs would be the best solution.

A word of warning should you be tempted to substitute a regular phono-phono interconnect for the old SME cable.
    I'm guessing that the SME III will be carrying a MM cartridge and if so these are very sensitive to cable capacitance. Many third party regular interconnects will not be suitable as the capacitance is too high. You must also ensure that any cable is screened.

So if you replace the cable, make sure that you inform the dealer that this if for a tonearm.

I'll be happy to check the cable and resolder any connection for you if you are running the SME original.
    It will only cost you postage.

RobHolt, May 16, 2010
  4. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks for the input.Its not an SME CABLE .Its a cable I have made up, its screened aircraft cable but the info re the cable is useful.I will see if I can get an sme cable.I am not too keen on having seperate cables so I may go for a contiuous arm rewire.I dont know much about SME arms having never owned one but this one is like new ,absolutely mint and I have been really surprised at how good it is.Its a Shure v15 mk3 thats fitted and so far its performance has been impressive.

Colin2040, May 16, 2010
  5. Colin2040

Colin2040

Continuing saga! Not had a lot of time recently so only just revisiting this problem again. What I have tried so far....
    Switched cable around decided this is a bit irellevant as hum is on both channels.
    Switched cable to a JPS and currently have another on it which made no difference.
    I have switched table on and moving the arm fully across and arcing back to see if there are any cracks or pops but zero just a constant hum.Should say hum is only apparent at position 3/4 but then quite noticeable.
    Checked connections,tried earth lead connection to arm cable on and off...no difference.
    Removed the conversion unit allowing a two pin plug to fit and replaced it with a three pin ....zilch.

So any ideas from here? Gratefully received.

Colin2040, Jul 1, 2010
  6. Colin2040

johnandchris

Unplug your radio, see if that helps. Tuners give off a large amount of RFI.

johnandchris, Jul 4, 2010
  7. Colin2040

Colin2040

Would try that but dont have one?! I am certain its an earth loop.The TT does not have an earth cable and I am running it through a filtered power supply. I will try it straight from the mains.If that fails arm is coming off!!

Colin2040, Jul 4, 2010
  8. Colin2040

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Sounds like the arm or cartridge is picking up motor hum probably due to a break in the wiring somewhere. I'd imagine it's not due to an incompatability between SME, V15 and the TT considering the popularity of the arm and cartridge back in the day.

Dave Simpson, Jul 4, 2010
  9. Colin2040

Colin2040

The TT at low levels is superb and I was taken aback at how good the Shure and arm were.My initial thoughts were to remove the arm and move it on. However after initial listening I was quite taken aback. Any way I think the arm is coming off and I will investigate further. I was going to do a Spall arm but would like this sorted first.

Colin2040, Jul 4, 2010
  10. Colin2040

RobHolt Moderator

Was a long time ago but I seem to recall the III has a little gold plated screw on the black connector shield beneath the arm. Is your earth connection going to this?

RobHolt, Jul 4, 2010
  11. Colin2040

Colin2040

It appears to be ,and yes it connects beneath the arm bt there are two screws and cables.I have tried both none and either to see if that makes a difference with no luck.The pd300 has quite a recessed opening underneath so access is tricky so I think it really needs removing to accurately assess it.

Colin2040, Jul 4, 2010
  12. Colin2040

RobHolt Moderator

Yes, whip it off and have a good look.

You can also check for continuity for each signal, return and earth if you have a meter handy.
    If not just buy a cheap one for a fiver at Maplin. It'll be fine for this job.

RobHolt, Jul 4, 2010
  13. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks Robholt I have a decent meter soI'll give it a once over.I kinda like the arm on the turntable they look right for each other.They are both mint so I think they are worth looking after.

Colin2040, Jul 4, 2010
Ask a Question