Turntable choices

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Jan 3, 2004.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hello fellow lifeforms, happy new year.

Considering alternatives to the venerable LP12. Must be black.

Michell Orbe is the front-runner, I've heard one on quite a few occasions now and it is very impressive indeed. Not yet heard in my system, however, so a slight reservation there. Looks great though.

Suggestions?

The Devil, Jan 3, 2004
  2. The Devil

Alex S User

Hello lifeform,

As you know, a Well Tempered Record Player (the cheapest in a range of 3) trashed my LP12 in every respect in under 10 secs. My Linn was Aro/Lingo at the time.
    Others, apart from the Orbe, to look at include Notts Analogue and VPI offerings.

HNY

Alex

Alex S, Jan 3, 2004
  3. The Devil

Robbo

Devil,

This is a wind up right:confused: Your JW modded LP12 is the best deck around isnt it?

Happy new year btw.

Robbo, Jan 3, 2004
  4. The Devil

Joolsburger

Have you listened to the latest Xerxes X with DSU and 5.5 speed control. Same price as an Orbe and offers at least as good a sound IMHO (Have heard both). Fitted with an Artemiz it's possibly a better deck. Lots of interesting views and reviews of several decks here
    www.tnt-audio.com.

Joolsburger, Jan 3, 2004
  5. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Alex,

Ah yes, the WT, Notts, VPI not heard at all. Are they black?

Robbo, Hi - HNY.

No, not a wind-up. WAF is rearing its head, and Kathie prefers the appearance of the Orbe to that of the LP12. I can't say I disagree with her, tbh. She would like me to switch to an Orbe, or a similar-looking deck, in black so it would match my stands, boxes and speakers.

Hi Joolsburger - can't get yr link to work, is the Xerxes black?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2004
    The Devil, Jan 3, 2004
  6. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

Hi James
    Welcome back :)

Some pictures of Nott analogue decks are HERE

No exactly black but lovely looking all the same

penance, Jan 3, 2004
  7. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

You could always try the new Musical Fideliy M1 :D (oops sorry, it's not black...)

Avid stuff looks good (with the exception of the gold plated Acutus) and apparently sounds the business too...

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 3, 2004
  8. The Devil

Robbo

Ahh, the old WAF chestnut!

Talk to Merlin, he has a VPI I believe. He loves it. It's black too, and looks very nice in the flesh (not heard it though).

Robbo, Jan 3, 2004
  9. The Devil

Joolsburger

Joolsburger, Jan 3, 2004
  10. The Devil

Tom Alves

Just swapped out my LP12 for Rega P9. Third the price, just as good and more to my taste. Some of it's black

Tom Alves, Jan 3, 2004
  11. The Devil

merlin

Ah good to see the return of "the Dark Side"

Yep I do like the Vpi, I would definately try to get a listen to the Scout, or if funds permit, the Black Knight (yes it's black!)

You might be interested in the Stereophile review, as the author uses LP12/Aro/Armaggedon as his reference, and reckons the Scout mates well with his Mana. Shit might have to try it!

Have a read here http://www.stereophile.com/analogsourcereviews/776/

To my ears, it's a bit of a bargain.

merlin, Jan 3, 2004
  12. The Devil

mick parry stroppy old git

Bub

LP12's are tempermental.

Have you thought of a Loricraft 501 with its air mounted motor.

There is no question that it is the best sounding TT around. Just ask anyone such as Paul Duerden who as actually listened to it.

I have a 401 and with all the Loricraft tweaks and it sounds better than the Ninja.

This time last year, I would have made you an offer for the Ninja, but now I would rather keep the 401.

To buy a 401 at my spec would set you back around £3700.00 ish so it's not that bad.

The 501 is better than the 401 BTW.

The site is www.garrard501.com

well worth a look.

The latest version with a stainless steel chassis is not shown and that with its solid brass plinth is a belter.

You can have it in black if you wish, that is the advantage of buying a bespoke product.

Your Missus will drool over it. Mine did and she dosent drool over much these days. She has given me permission to buy one and I soon intend to.

The Garrard is not cheap but you owe it to yourself to have a listen. There is no point in being a pluto crat unless you buy the best.

Regards

Mick

PS This time behave yourself or you could be banned again.

This forum needs men of your quality.

Having said that, get shot of those bloody horrible speakers you own and go for some of the big Tannoy's. They are big buggers.

Do a search on www.tannoy.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2004
    mick parry, Jan 3, 2004
  13. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Mick, honestly those Garrards make an LP12 looks almost stylish! If Bub's missus doesn't like the LP12 then she's going to throw up at the sight of a Garrard - looks like something a nerdy schoolboy would have had in their room in the 50s :chunder:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 3, 2004
  14. The Devil

julian2002 Muper Soderator

james,
    welcome back and happy new year. i'm not a vinylista but kuzma turntables get good reviews all the time and the stogi / stabi is sufficiently interesting looking to be waf friendly. or how about a platine verdier a massive black maglev platter with an off board motor. of course theres always the clearaudio master reference if you fancy putting off the m5 for a year or two ;) however roy gregory owns one which doesn;t bode well for it's enjoyment factor.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 3, 2004
  15. The Devil

Robbo

Can't imagine the missus would like the big Tannoys much either! Huge slabs of 1950s style Teak. hmmm... nice:)

Robbo, Jan 3, 2004
  16. The Devil

notaclue

I would have thought that http://www.stereophile.com/analogsourcereviews/258/ might also be a contender for the best turntable. But it is around $75,000. That might be a bit too much.

I'm afraid those Garrads look very dated and, to be honest, quite ugly.

notaclue, Jan 3, 2004
  17. The Devil

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Im sure theres a lot of listening to be going on, before any decisions are made?

I cant even give you any indications really, because I dont know your budget! (or even if there is one!)

My favorite turntables have high mass platters, uni-pivots and advanced power supplies that can make micro adjustments to speed accuracy (on belt drives).

Turntables by SME, Nott Analogue, Kuzma, Avid, VPI, Platine and many others all follow variations on this formulae it seems to me.

This is a BLACK bargain that I havent heard... but its reputation proceeds it.... should have good WAF too..

second hand nouvelle platine with morch arm at walrus, 2195 quid:

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2004
  18. The Devil

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Jan 3, 2004
  19. The Devil

Sid and Coke

Why don't you just buy a new Black Ash plinth for your existing LP12 and get it re-built ? I'm sure the dealer would give you something for the exchange item or you could easily e-bay it ?
    Are you going to keep the existing LP12, hoard it out of sight and buy a new toy, or is your new deck going to be a complete repalcement ?
    If you like the sound of your existing LP12 and it would appear that you've had a bit of fun getting it to the stage you are at the moment, maybe a new plinth and re-build would be more fun than getting a totally different new deck. As we all know the initial rush that one often gets from a new peice of kit, upgrade, etc, can well let you down a few months down the line, by which time it will be too late if you've flogged it and some other lucky bugger is enjoying your former pride and joy.

Sid and Coke, Jan 3, 2004
  20. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Ho ho ho....

Welcome back.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 3, 2004
Ask a Question