Turntable dilemma

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Paul V, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Paul V

Paul V

Guys and Gals

Should I take the plunge and upgrade my original Xerxes/Artimez [new power supply, mat, new counterweight, service etc etc] or investigate whether for example a new Rega P9 would prove a better long-term investment ??.

Either would be used with a MM or high-output MC. I will get a phono board put into my Border Patrol pre soon and it's MM only.

If any of you think I should stick with the Xerxes could you give me cartridge ideas bearing in mind the above ??.

Any views welcome.

Paul

Paul V, Oct 11, 2005
  2. Paul V

Dexter

Hi Paul,

Some background info would be helpful. How old is your current Xerxes and Artemiz? Which power supply? When was it last serviced? What cartridge have you been using? Do you like the characteristics of the Xerxes sound, or are you looking for something different?

Cheers, Dex

Dexter, Oct 11, 2005
  3. Paul V

johnhunt recidivist

definatly flog it and buy an LP12

johnhunt, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Paul V

Paul V

Dex

Sound of the Xerxes is good. Deck about 1987, arm 1990, audio technica AT OC30 [step down from ART1] about 1993 but not a tremendous amount of use since then. XPS3.5/DSU. Microgroove +.

The point of my question [sorry if it wasn't clear] is that should I spend more money on upgrading an old deck, or simply buy a new one. There are so many things that you can bolt onto an old Xerxes that one begins to think whether you really get value for money.

I don't play vinyl as much as CDs but I would be concerned if I wasted the money throwing money at the Xerxes when over 20 years technology had moved on so much as to make even a fully-modded Xerxes a lesser option.

Paul

Paul V, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Paul V

Dick Bowman

My take on this subject is that - on the whole - modifications/modernisation of any component is likely to lead to a refinement of the general nature of the component, very rare that the underlying characteristics will change greatly.

So - if you want "more of the same", modify and/or upgrade.

if you want something different, swap the Xerxes for something different.

Dick Bowman, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Paul V

Dexter

Paul,

I had an original Xerxes up until just a couple of weeks ago. It had a lesser power supply than yours (XPS-II). I ran it with a Michell TecnoArm and Roksan Corus. Nonetheless, it managed to quite comfortably see off new Rega P25 & P7 and I also found it preferable to an Armageddoned LP12 in direct comparisons. I posted about it HERE.

So nearly 20 years on, I believe that the Xerxes sound has hardly been eclipsed by new technology. To my mind, the unique signature "swagger" of the Xerxes remains very special and largely unchallenged in its range.

That said, however, I was so smitten with what the Xerxes could do that I wanted to find a solution for the next 20 years. Like you, I found myself at the crossroads between carrying forward with my older model and accepting the limitations of what I could do with it or moving forward with a new deck. I ended up choosing the latter option.

[​IMG]

The new Roksan Xerxes.20 retains the basic sonic character of its predecessor but adds a greater sense of authority and assurance. Surface noise is diminished, bass is further extended, and pace & rhythmic timing is even snappier while the overall presentation is fuller (comperable to an LP12 without the bass bloom) than the original. I posted all about my Xerxes.20 HERE .

So for slightly less than a Rega P9, you could get the Xerxes.20 with the new XPS-7 power supply (individually tuned to your specific motor to virtually eliminate vibration at the source) and upgrade your Artemiz to current spec.

And if you're not a fan of high-gloss maple like me, the X.20 is also available in luscious piano black lacquer:

[​IMG]

Best, Dex

Dexter, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Paul V

Paul V

Dex

I love the maple look, my Xerxes is natural ash and beautiful.

Thanks for your reply, will have to have a long think about it now..

Paul

Paul V, Oct 13, 2005
Ask a Question