Turntable problems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I've got a major problem with my Turntable at the minute, it is seriously unable to stay at pitch, to the extent after it's been running a while you it gets a major case of pitch fluctuation making it unlistenable. I've tried changing the belt, and I've tried cleaning said belt, and all pulleys and the platter, but I've made no improvement. My thoughts are is the motor shot, or cheaper this do I need to put more oil in the bearing. It spins quite nicely at the moment so I suspect it's not that. Any ideas please is there something obvious I've missed, or do I need to find a turntable expert. Does anyone know anyone in the North-West, preferably Manchester way.
    It's a Townshend Avalon by the way

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  2. lordsummit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Well thinking about it logically its either belt, pulleys, bearing or motor - you've eliminated everything - belt, pulleys and by the sounds of it bearing - which only leaves the motor (or its power supply). Looks like your suspicion is probably right. Even if the bearing does need to be re oiled, if its spinning freely you wouldn't expect the kind of gross pitch problems described. It does sound as though the motor is wimping out.

Maybe a call to Townshend themselves for advice might be in order. Dunno what their customer service is like, but if its anything like NAS or Michell, who I HAVE had dealings with you would hope they could sort you out or at least tell you who might.

Is it on all records or just the odd one? I've got a copy of Sheer Heart Attack by Queen, where the B side is stamped so off centre that it's an impossible listen ... the last track (In The Lap Of The Gods Revisited), goes so off pitch, in and out that you'd think Freddie was strapped to a roller coaster whilst singing. Is it that sort of up and down pitch thing, or is it just a general runing slower and then some? Had the latter with an old Phillips deck once and that was definitely a buggered motor.

Uncle Ants, Apr 7, 2005
  3. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

It's a massive up and down thing. I had it last night with the Inspirals which got me thinking about cleaning and all that, then it was better with some piano music but not right, finally I put my 180g The band brown album on that is guaranteed to sound wonderful and that was all over the place to. So like you say I'm going to ring Townshend and see what they say

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  4. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I rang Townshend and boy am I impressed. Max Townshend is out to lunch, but ring this number after 2.30 and you should get him!!!! I going to speak to a legend. It's almost worth my tt breaking

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
Ask a Question