turntable recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gav.d, Jun 3, 2006.

1. gav.d

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

And where on earth do you put acrylic in an aircraft??? :confused: :confused:

Dynamic Turtle, Jun 16, 2006
  2. gav.d

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

in the window?

bottleneck, Jun 16, 2006
  3. gav.d

lordsummit moderate mod

Funny there's nothing wrong with my Pro-ject, can't imagine anything breaking without the aid of my clumsiness.
    I'd happily recommend one to anyone

lordsummit, Jun 16, 2006
  4. gav.d

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

You really didn't like it did you :)

The Pulley is acrylic and would be extremely hard to break, but I fail to see how either piece could be broken unless you stomped on it or something

Never had one fail yet and we've sold a lot of them

I don't see how unless you regularly use sharp knives inthe proximity of your deck

Rubber and plastic, I wouldn't say flimsy exactly. Probably the weakest point on the old 9 though - they have now been replaced with aluminium and sorbothane jobs on the latest models

If you trod on it - that would probably be true - did you break yours and if so how?

Most people have no problem - you can usually get it within 0.05g - but as with any arm you would be wise to use a balance anyway

Of course - to provide backup for customers - would you be happier buying a deck from a manufacturer whio said there were no spare parts available for their deck, but don't worry ... nothing ever goes wrong?

Seriously any deck needs some looking after and no deck will respond well to mistreatment. An RPM9 probably wouldn't respond well to be dropped from a height ... but few decks would.

Uncle Ants, Jun 16, 2006
  5. gav.d

And there I was thinking it was glass that protected me from the elements @ 35,000ft!

Weight issue I guess?

DT

6. gav.d

zygote23

I've just bought a pro-ject x-pac a month ago. I can't see anywhere that would damage or wear out (apart from maybe the belt getting eaten by the cat). It does however make me aware of BLOODY DUST which I can see on it and the glass support it is on.

BTW the only turntables I had for years before the pro-ject were 1210's and so I was limited to mental techno. Now I can dig out my old ECM lp's and be amazed at how they sing. Pat Metheny mmmmmmm.:D

zygote23, Jun 16, 2006
  7. gav.d

You really didn't like it did you :)

No, I really did like it! Lovely sounding deck by any measure!

The Pulley is acrylic and would be extremely hard to break, but I fail to see how either piece could be broken unless you stomped on it or something

Well, given how many times I lifted/moved the motor and forgot that the base is not attached to the motor and dropped the damn thing, I would've hopped Pro-ject would have found some way of screwing the motor plinth/base into the motor housing somehow. Very easy mistake to make. Top it off with an acrylic pulley and.... :(

Never had one fail yet and we've sold a lot of them

C'mon, you've got to agree that a $2 wall wart is not a high-quality long-term PSU solution?

I don't see how unless you regularly use sharp knives inthe proximity of your deck

Acrylic is world famous for its EZ-scratch properties. Anyone's who's accidentally knocked their arm onto the platter will have a nice scratch on the acrylic, let me tell you!

Rubber and plastic, I wouldn't say flimsy exactly. Probably the weakest point on the old 9 though - they have now been replaced with aluminium and sorbothane jobs on the latest models

Glad to hear it.

If you trod on it - that would probably be true - did you break yours and if so how?

Very easy to snap whilst packing & un-packing.

Most people have no problem - you can usually get it within 0.05g - but as with any arm you would be wise to use a balance anyway

A seperate reference balance should be mandatory!

Of course - to provide backup for customers - would you be happier buying a deck from a manufacturer whio said there were no spare parts available for their deck, but don't worry ... nothing ever goes wrong?

Seriously any deck needs some looking after and no deck will respond well to mistreatment. An RPM9 probably wouldn't respond well to be dropped from a height ... but few decks would.

8. gav.d

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Well that's good :)

Hmm ... Maybe. Now I don't want you to take this the wrong way but some might say that falls into the clumsiness category :)

Like I said we've not had one returned yet. Its does the job (its just a step down tranny) with no appreciable ill effect on sound quality. No doubt it could be put into fancy metal box :) The two speedbox models do provide an upgrade on the PSU front. Regenerated AC and push button speed control.

if you tonked it that hard, then losing your cantilever might be more worrying than a scratch. Again I don't want you to take this the wrong way but some might say that falls into the clumsiness category :)

I see where you are coming from but its the same arrangement on all the Pro-Ject arms and I'd have expected a lot of returns if in practice it were a problem ... We've had none though

It should be the law in fact :) Though all I was saying is that if push comes to shove and you haven't got one. The scale on the weight is actually surprisingly accurate ... if you do it right. The biggest problem is that section of the various Pro-Ject manuals was written by someone with a less than stellar grasp of English but most folks seem to cope okay

Uncle Ants, Jun 16, 2006
  9. gav.d

silverback

In the mid 80's, there were two main contenders for top deck...the LP12 and the Rock. You don't want an LP12, but the Rock has just gone on getting better and better. I bought one in 1985, since when, it has required three drops of bearing oil and three changes of drive belt.
    You never fiddle or tweak
    It'll track any cartridge on the market from £50 to £5000 and make it sound stunning
    It's made by a bloke who lives in London and will answer the phone personally should you ever need any advice (and do the work himself0
    It looks lovely
    It sounds stunning.
    The Rock Reference was described recently as one of the best three decks in the world regardless of cost.
    The humble ordinary rock ain't far behing.
    BUT...its sound isn't coloured
    It doesn't have lights or shiny gold bits
    It doesn't have an endless 'accesory' list to make 'improvements'

It just is brilliant. Try to hear one.

silverback, Jun 16, 2006
  10. gav.d

nando nando

Hi, I Personally Know Max For Untolled Years, I Also Worked For Alphason , Being Selling And Helped On Many A Many T.t's From Rotel " Early 70's" Luxman, Goldring, And I Could Go On Foerever Since 1969, Your Oppinion Is Very Valid, So Are The Expereince We All Had And Still Share With Turntables,"no Offence" Linn Lp12 ,are And Will Never Be One That I Will Regard As Liking, Sorry But I Had My Fair Share Of Selling Them As Having Owned Four Since They Began,regards.

nando, Jun 16, 2006
  11. gav.d

lordsummit moderate mod

The Rock is a great deck, but I had problems with mine with any record that wasn't flat, that trough ate a couple. Then the bearing failed (think it's previous owner was less careful than myself) I'm not sure it's the best answer, especially if you want something easy to use. I'm always impressed by the Nottinghams. The Clearaudio's are a bit 'CD' for my taste, and the Rega's a bit bass shy. The Roksan is nice, but it didn't ring my bells. I bought a Pro-ject Perspective. Very nice it is too. The speed controller is a useful upgrade to it as well. Highly reccommended.

lordsummit, Jun 16, 2006
  12. gav.d

gav.d

Sincere apologies for not replying to all your replies before this but I'm recovering from having to spend loads on an unscheduled roof repair, the scaffold alone would have bought a new spacedeck! :( Anyway took all your suggestions on board and despite some reservations about the longevity of acrylic and bearing in mind my depleted funds bought an ex-dem radius 5 with nima from my local dealer which he let me have for half r.r.p.
    I was able to compare it to a marantz tt15 which was lucky as he normally only has pro-ject 3's and xerxes in stock and the radius was streets ahead, the marantz too clinical and one dimensional.
    At home I wouldn't have believed the difference, so much better in every respect even my wife noticed, plus she likes the appearance. So I'm very happy, a huge upgrade for a modest outlay and I don't need to worry about the rain coming in.:JOEL:

gav.d, Jun 28, 2006
Ask a Question