Turntable repair shops in the Greater Manchester area?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, May 13, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have decided that I think my turntable needs professional attention I won't be happy if I tried to fix it myself.

The problem is its a 5 year old Project Debut II, would it cost too much to get it fixed properly? I am almost thinking it might be worth fixing my turntable so it at least plays by using a spare OM3 stylus of an old Yamaha. then give it my parents.

The Debut III's are cheap and have a better arm than mine, so it would be an upgrade and a brand new TT for £120, I know it won't be much better, but if its going to cost £60 to fix mine it might be worth it.

There is also a small crack in the lid which will effect its value.

amazingtrade, May 13, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

First off what exactly is wrong with it? Perhaps the forum can give you some idea on how easy it may be to fix, or if there's a work around.

OK one particularly good person at TT setup and repair is Helen Koczur 01706 642107, 130 Drake Street Rochdale. It's a bit out of your way but she fully set up my Dual 704 (which has more settings than an Airbus A340) and even changed the captive RCA jacks with new swish ones for nothing, apparently on her test rig it was producing a "hum" that I'd never heard before.

The only trouble is she isn't around the shop much anymore, but she knows her stuff (apparently she now trains the new team of techies at Thorens for the new range!!) and is very cheap.

BTW Hi-Fi World think the new Debut 3 is better in every respect than the 2, so it may be worth looking into - and at slightly more money £200 the Goldring GR2 is even better still apparently (well the GR1 which I have was IMHO quite a bit better than the Debut 2 at the time, so it makes sense really).

RDD, May 14, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Didn't know she was still around. Might take my Townshend down and see if she can sort it!

lordsummit, May 16, 2005
Ask a Question