Turntable thoughts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I've had a quote from Townshend to repair mine that comes in at about £120 plus posting. I'm reticent to say the least! That seems a lot of money. So I had a thought. I'm skinter than a skint thing having bought the valves and a new phono stage and a load of records.... so I wondered about financing something on credit. So I pops around t'internet for a while and the most affordable deal for me is on a Pro-ject RPM6. Now I've heard it and liked it, but never really paid much attention I mean I wasn't going to buy it was I. So anyone here, is it any better than the P3, I used to have one of those and quite liked it. I know it's different to the Townshend but hopefully being new it's not going to break for a while, and I'm fed up of my toys breaking, most of all Mrs Summit might agree as it'll save her lashing out on an expensive repair.
    I'd fit the Shure to it. I mean the arm on the Pro-ject has to be better than the Basik doesn't it.
    Any thoughts?

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  2. lordsummit

sideshowbob Trisha

Probably decent enough, but minimal resale value, and IMO the arms on the more expensive Project decks are not particularly great. I suspect you could do better, how much is your budget?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 7, 2005
  3. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Peanuts, I'd get about £100 for the Townshend, mainly for the arm, it needs a new bearing... The RPM6 is about £14 a month at Hi-fi bitz hence my asking. I'd really like a Clearaudio at that sort of money, or possibly the cheap Roksan, but it would have to be on the drip, I've spent all I'm allowed this year, and we booked a very expensive holiday.

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  4. lordsummit

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Doesn't the lifetime guarantee come with any s/h Rega Planar 2/3?

Bob

Bob McC, Apr 7, 2005
  5. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

I wouldn't go back to a P2/3 now, I'd miss the bass too much

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  6. lordsummit

sideshowbob Trisha

What's up with the Townsend? May be possible to get someone else to fix it for less if it's nothing major.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 7, 2005
  7. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

It needs a new bearing fitted to the spindle, I've got the instructions, but I don't fancy it myself, it needs drilling out and then a new thread cutting, I don't have the tools or the skills. The pillar the bearing sits on also needs regrinding and I can't see how I can get it level without a proper workshop. I haven't really got the tools to do that either. I reckon it's going to cost me that money either way!

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  8. lordsummit

Anex Thermionic

You might be able to convince an engineering company to have a look at it? If you find some nice guys it might be worth a try.
    Pro-jects are ok but they tend to use funny geometry so you can't change the arms on them easily (if at all). I don't think I'd really buy anything over the debut ones. I think you'd get more lastability from looking elsewhere, clearaudio & roksan as you suggested.

Anex, Apr 7, 2005
  9. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd flog the townshend on e-bay, and buy something else used.

bottleneck, Apr 7, 2005
  10. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

That's what I'm tempted to do, but it's worth I guess £100, plus the cart, say £250 max, so then I've got to buy a cart unless it comes with something on. I hate it when stuff breaks. I couldn't get away with selling it as working, it's too knackered, the bearings just seized, so the deck can't keep any speed going

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  11. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Buy a used deck then, and sell the townshend with the cart that came on the used deck?

Shame really. Those Townshends are supposed to be decent.

bottleneck, Apr 7, 2005
  12. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

It is fabulous, but I suspect I've never heard it at it's best. I've got a friend who is very good at this sort of thing, but he won't follow the instructions. So I'm going to let him look at it and see if he can sort it. I'm going to ring Townshend tomorrow and see how much his repair kit is, if it's not too bad I'll have a go, if it's beyond repair Ebay it is. I'd be sorry to see it go

lordsummit, Apr 7, 2005
  13. lordsummit

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I dunno - disable the bias spring on the P3's RB300, use the counterweight alone to dial in the downforce, stick a Flutterbuster/Heed Orbit PSU on it, and put a decent cart on the arm and there's easily enough bass - not sure I get that comment! Plus it's free-fi - you can sell it on again when you shell out for your uber-deck :)

Yep - the older Planar decks have a TRANSFERRABLE lifetime guarantee - unless of course they've had the motor upgrade, which then means the deck has a lifetime guarantee, but the motor and PSU don't! So a lifetime guarantee on a bit of wood, a bearing and an arm - he he...

domfjbrown, Apr 8, 2005
  14. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Well I had to bow to female superiority, she would only countenance something new 'You're not having something else that's going to break again...' so after reviewing the options, showing her what was available, a Pro-ject Perspective is going to be heading our way. It looks wonderful, is very well reviewed, and made a nice noise when I heard one. It's also got suspension to play with and some silicone in it somewhere so I won't miss the Townshend's trough too much. Mrs Summit wouldn't consider the RPM6, looks like a dustbin, so we'll see how we go!

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2005
  15. lordsummit

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Richard,

Sorry you have had problems with the Avalon. That is one of the downsides of buying 2nd hand. I hope it hasn't put you off in the future because you can get some good deals 2nd hand.

I have to agree with Ian (Sideshowbob) that they don't seem to hold there value and can be hard to shift 2nd hand. But it should give you some enjoyable sounds.

Here a review

http://www.hifiplus.com/t-rev12-2.html

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 8, 2005
  16. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

No I'm just being pragmatic. It's a good deck, I've heard the original 6 make some nice noises, it's got a good arm on it, and the Shure will match it nicely. I'm trying to make my system finished. All I'm going to do is buy some cables and an Okki Nokki, and call it quits. I don't want to spend much money for a while, just buy some tunes!

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2005
  17. lordsummit

analoguekid Planet Rush

instead of the okki nokki, consider the KAB ev1 "nitty gritty", for £120 delivered (inc duty) it's a great device, and much easier to pack away when not in use, TBH unless you have hundreds needing a clean, or run a second hand record shop the KAB is good enough for most domestic use. leaves a hundred pounds for some new vinyl, potentially one hundred charity shop records.

analoguekid, Apr 8, 2005
  18. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Ah but I've got hundreds needing a clean, about 1200 classical ones to start with!

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2005
  19. lordsummit

analoguekid Planet Rush

If thats the case I'd go with a full auto one, that puts on fluid etc, but the kab may be a little fiddly to do so many with at one time.

analoguekid, Apr 8, 2005
  20. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Yes but they're really dear, so I'd rather just clean it before I play it. It takes Tony L less than a minute to do a record on both sides on his VPI

lordsummit, Apr 8, 2005
Ask a Question