Turntable to compliment MF A5 setup

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by D-C, Aug 26, 2008.

1. D-C

D-C

Afternoon all,

I'm looking to upgrade my turntable from a Project Debut 2. I listen to much more vinyl than I do cds.

Any suggestions on a turntable which would integrate nicely with Musical Fidelity A5 (pre + power amps) setup?

My budget is around £600-£800, don't mind good quality used.

As for the music I listen to.. quite mixed.. 80's pop, house, hardcore.. rock, electro (incase this has any influence on suggestions).

Speakers are Linn Keilidh (I plan to upgrade these next year).

Thanks in advance for all advice!

D-C, Aug 26, 2008
  2. D-C

peez

my mate uses a MF nu vista M3 integrated, with a Origin live resolution and EAR 834p, you might find a used Aurora for your bugdet, his deck / amp sounds superb

peez, Aug 26, 2008
  3. D-C

D-C

Looks good, you talking mk 1 or 2?

D-C, Aug 26, 2008
  4. D-C

SCIDB Moderator

Hi D-C,

For your money, you have many choices. Sticking to a £800 top limit, there are number of new items you can look at. For this money you should be able to get a setup inc arm & cartridge that can give you very good musical satisfaction.

Also bear in mind that you need to be aware of where you place the deck. Feedback and isolation issues are very important. All decks are sensitive to what they are seated on, some more than others. Also some decks require more setting up than others.

2nd hand will allow you to get good deck that could be upgraded at a later date.

One problem will be getting to hear some of the different decks against each others.

A good starter and benchmark is a Project X pack for £800. This features a rather good Ortofon Rondo red cartridge worth £300. It's an all in one package that you may have a good chance of finding one for dem.

Another is the Rega P5 with a Rega cartridge which will give you change from £800.

On the 2nd hand front, there are plenty. Linn Lp12s are common and can be easily had for under £800. They do need to be set up well.

A 2nd hand Nottingham Analogue deck is a fine piece of equipment. Very manuel in operation but capable. Dosen't go out of tune. There is one here. Add a rega/moth arm with a cartridge and way you go.

Michell Gyrodec is another well built deck once setup, away you go. Definitive audio has a gyrodec for £600. Added a Rega arm again. Plus you have many options to upgrade this deck.

I would look at the two 2nd options.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 26, 2008
  5. D-C

D-C

Hi SCIDB,

Thanks for that detailed set of reviews.

I must admit that I am probably leaning more towards the used equipment, people who spend £000s on the original equipment generally look after it.

Also, the turntable would be seated on top of a hi-fi rack, so there shouldn't be too many problems with isolation.

From what I've read on the Michell Gyrodec I'm impressed. And as you say, the seemingly endless options to upgrade are a bonus (actually a double edged sword- I could see myself investing in modding in the future).

One of my problems is transit.. I no longer have a car. I'll have to look closer to home (London area) for an example.

Many thanks again,

D-C

D-C, Aug 27, 2008
  6. D-C

RobHolt Moderator

I'd second the Gyro suggestion.
    Works well with anything from a modest Rega RB250 up to heavyweights like the SME V, and of course it looks stunning.
    They also stay in tune for years once correctly set up.

An LP12 with basic or Valhalla PSU is also excellent but needs periodic re-setting for top performance - I'd say every 18-24 months. You should find one with an Ittok arm within budget which makes a fine combination.

One of these fitted with a good budget cartridge such as a Denon DL110 is the way to go in preference to a cheaper deck (eg Rega 3) fitted with an expensive MC.

RobHolt, Aug 27, 2008
  7. D-C

unclepuncle

unclepuncle, Aug 28, 2008
  8. D-C

RobHolt Moderator

That's a nice deck and well worth the cash IMO.

RobHolt, Aug 28, 2008
  9. D-C

Fen Dancer Two left feet

Why, thank you kind Sir.
    Sounds brilliant too...

Fen Dancer, Aug 29, 2008
  10. D-C

nando nando

new avid diva or project x-pack,
    just a thought,nando

nando, Sep 2, 2008
  11. D-C

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Avid Diva is a £1000. Are you willing to sell the Diva for £800?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 3, 2008
  12. D-C

nando nando

the project x-pack is great value for money as well as sound, comes with a ortofon rhonda red m.m. cartridge and speed box, at
    £759.00,
    nando.

nando, Sep 3, 2008
  13. D-C

SCIDB Moderator

Hi D-C,

It's a shame you don't have transport then you could have had Fen dancer's now sold deck. It would have done the job nicely.

If you can get a New Diva within you budget, then that is another one to look at. The Old Avid Diva is also another deck to look at. I have seen these go for less than £800 2ND hand.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 3, 2008
Ask a Question