turntables, are people going back to vinyl?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Jun 1, 2006.

1. nando

nando nando

press have new figures on vinyl sales are up!

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  2. nando

snowflake Former Albino Ape

Never left it :)

S

snowflake, Jun 1, 2006
  3. nando

nando nando

neither have i , although i must have about 3.000 or over, people think that i am a dinossaur, quite agree that vinyl is making a great come back to people that have left it years ago, and forgotten the audible pleasure that it bings,p.s.. snowflake, if you don't mind me asking witch turntable do you have? regards, nando:MILD: :MILD:

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  4. nando

Alco

I've also read it in many magazines, on sites, and even on the Dutch TV news.
    It seems that since vinyl was more or less announced 'dead', in the late 80's/begin 90's, it's never been more populiar than the last 2 years or so.
    Many, beautiful TTs appear on the market, and they're going like hotdogs over the counter.

Still,...what's the use of a great, brandnew TT when new titels on vinyl are still as rare as me winning the lottery jackpot ever.
    Ok, new titels on vinyl are growing, which is nice, but still...compared to CD it's close to nothing imho, and... the price is a serious drawback.
    Many new LP's are re-issues of old (thoug good/classic) albums, which have been maiinly 'nice-price' CD's for years already.
    On vinyl I experienced they're much more expensive.
    (sometimes up to 3 or 4 times the price of its CD copy)

So, unless you've already got a healthy amount of old LP's, in good condition, I'd think twice if you have to start from scratch again.

I also found that some stores like to get on the analog bandwagon, and claim to be 'dealer' of brands like Pro-ject or Rega, which in daily practice means they can order one for ya, and try to mount a cartridge for you...
    Adjusting a TT/Cartridge combination to the max, is a skill not many shops seem to be able of, at the moment.

Alco, Jun 1, 2006
  5. nando

KUB3 ciao

Not in the longterm. When oil runs out* you can kiss vinyl goodbye forever.

*If China and India continue as predicted you have about ten years left. It's won't be economically viable to pump the last 25% of remaining oil apparently.

KUB3, Jun 1, 2006
  6. nando

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Yeah, right. That's when CDs will start to be faced with greenhoiuse glass.

SteveC, Jun 1, 2006
  7. nando

nando nando

i quite agree with you about record stores jumping in the band wagon, turntables are a very delicate procidiiaure to set up, it takes a lot of patience and now days most salesmen in the high street retailers do not only have much knowledge, but very seldom have the patience to do so,a,good cd player can reproduce a very nice sound, convinient i say has that edge , but i do like the sound that vinyl brings, i also listen to a lot of cd's ,but i find records more of a listening pleasure.

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  8. nando

Alco

I can fully imagine your experience, Nando.
    I still have an ancient, el-cheapo plastic DD Akai turntable.
    (hardly worhty of the name turntable ;) )

Still, when I hook it up to my Nait-2, it's kinda shocking how (relative) good it sounds.
    (especially compared to an expensive CD-player like my Naim CDX)

I'd love to have a TT and browse through boxes stuffed with old, s/h LP's, ready to buy for a few bucks.
    But I'm not sure it's worht all the hassle.... I mean, cleaning LP's, warped LP's, LP-fairs that are held only on weekdays when I have to work. (like today!!),etc,etc...

Still, who know one day...again... Stranger things has happened in my live :D ;)

Alco

Alco, Jun 1, 2006
  9. nando

nando nando

hi alco, i do like the sound of the naim cdp, as i sold quite a few in my past times in high street sales, nothing wrong with the akai t.t. , but yes vinyl does take more care to keep than cd's, but i do prefer the sound , but sometimes "expecially" when friends come round and drinks are on that the issue of playing a record is not such a good idea , hence the cd's come in, warped vinyl can not be cured as such but a good clamping system can help, luckelly i have one or two warped ones but they play fine , i do understand about you not having time to go and buy records, like you said, maybe one day ,regards,nando.

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  10. nando

joel Shaman of Signals

OFten win the jackpot, do you, Alco? :D
    FWIW, many new releases are also released on vinyl - although they may not be available directly from your local retailer.
    One of the nice things about the web, of course, is that whatever it is, it's usually available online somewhere.

joel, Jun 1, 2006
  11. nando

nando nando

AMAZON. SELL: vinyl, however about winning the lottery, please keep me informed, joke aside, one of the best things is " i believe" if you have been away from vinyl and going back to it there is nothing more but to enjoy buying a new turntable , a few records s/h/ or new setting it up and have a very relaxing listen, you may just enjoy it,:MILD:

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  12. nando

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am 23, I always try and get music on vinyl if I can. I just find it so much more romantic than CDs or MP3s.

It sounds better too :D

It is strange that my grandparents on my dad side (well into their 80's) have ditched vinyl in favour of CD and yet I am not even 30 and have loads of the black stuff :D

amazingtrade, Jun 1, 2006
  13. nando

nando nando

nice one, when i was 23, almost most of my wages if not 70% went on hi-fi and could't wait for sat. morning to go to the local record shop and go balistic on buying tunes, girlfriend not very pleased, but..:MILD:

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  14. nando

Leporello

Vinyl sales *may* look proportionally high, because those satisfied with digital have moved on to downloading their tunes. A regrettable trend, IMHO. Redbook rules.

Regards,

L.

Leporello, Jun 1, 2006
  15. nando

nando nando

hi, that could be true, but true music listeners, i think are trully going back to vinyl, do you use a turntable? regards.:MILD:

nando, Jun 1, 2006
  16. nando

Leporello

Not really. I still have my mediocre Luxman table in the kitchen cupboard, but since ca. 1986 I have not bought any vinyl LPs. I occasionally use it to make transfers to CD-Rs.

Perhaps this is some kind of generation gap. It amazes me that especially young people seem to be interested in vinyl!

Regards,

L.

Leporello, Jun 1, 2006
  17. nando

nando nando

gosh i used to have a luxman t.t. loved it, late 70's gorgeous t.t.'s with sme 3009 and shure v15mk2, oh dear i must be getting young, music is and has always been a very important part of my enjoyment along my times, nostalgia in the various parts of hi-fi that i have used and enjoyed is a non forgeteable affair, , young people are learnig to apreciate sounds just as we did like my son now 20, loves his vinyl, dares not touch mine, i have just got him a pro-ject x-pack t.t. . over the moon he is.:) :)

nando, Jun 2, 2006
  18. nando

meme

I suppose now that the downloading culture and ipods are so ubiquitous (well at least it feels that way) your grandmother and seriously uncool people like George Bush have them , buying vinyl is partly an alternative to all that stuff. There are plenty of good reasonably priced turntables around at the moment plus plenty of new releases if you look about, and of course the internet makes tracking stuff down much easier than it used to.

I recently started using mine again after six years rest, i still prefer cd mainly because of the availably of titles and my old turntable isn't all that hot (i might have to buy a new one...). But some stuff has been released exclusively on vinyl ( the last Es album for example) which is nice, and i have enjoyed the tactile nature of playing records again.

meme, Jun 2, 2006
  19. nando

nando nando

i know the feelig, i was without a turtable for two years after resigning as a director of my last hi-fi shop, missed my vinyl but had my cd's, it was ok. but having so much vinyl and started going on my own few bob came in and i purchased my new t.t. played some records that i never heard for years, i mean years, i did nott stop for hours and days, pleasure took away the sorrow, back to life...:MILD:

nando, Jun 2, 2006
  20. nando

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

26 here and bought my first/only TT about 4 years ago. I definately don't regret it - I've got quite a bit of stuff that never made CD and also a lot of stuff that I have on CD but felt like buying the LP of. I'm amazed by the quality of budget TTs these days - especially when fed through a decent phono stage - since getting the Rotel to feed my Debut II through, my vinyl playback setup has reached much better heights - it's on par with my CDP when you get a good pressing. This setup certainly puts the cheap plasticky midi system decks to shame.

But, having said that, the Bush MT-1 I bought foir my parents a couple of years ago is certainly very enjoyable and a doddle to set up.

nsherin, Jun 3, 2006
Ask a Question