Turntables...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006.

1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I hear you are making some possible system changes bub - could the Mana be the next to go? ;)

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  2. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, I'm waiting for the SME to show up. Bettered in all areas by the Brinkmann LaPonce, of course.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  3. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Perhaps you can start a thread here on your findings? Personally I preferred the BLG to the SME 30 - but thats just personal preference. Lets keep things gentlemanly.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  4. anon_bb

Markus S Trade

It lead to all kinds of mistakes, just a page or so back Bub thought that **** stood for Linn.

Markus S, Jan 6, 2006
  5. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

LOL Markus.

Yes, when it arrives, I'll post a thread. I have never heard the Brinkmann, and have no desire to. Demoing TTs properly (i.e. at home) is difficult & time-consuming, and in any case - and call me old-fashioned - I want to buy British.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  6. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

We are all part of europe now bub - I always just want to buy the best. If thats british then great. I hear sme are replacing some or all of their range in light of recent competition - you might be better hanging on for a while. If you really want to buy british then why not consider Simon Yorke - they look and sound better than the sme decks IMHO.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  7. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

YHO means nothing BBV. I've heard a Brinkmann. Also heard a Yorke. They do look nice I'll grant you. I suspect this clouds you judgement somewhat.

Stereo Mic, Jan 6, 2006
  8. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

SME are considering introducing a new model, but that's all. Shop demos are of little or no value - you have to live with a deck for a while to get what it does. A few afternoons spent in Walrus is no basis for a decision.

The SME 20 is a classic, and I want one, basically. It looks nice, and the reviews are all fantastic. Whether you think something else is better is irrelevant, even if you are "right".

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  9. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually I dont think the Brinkmann looks nice at all it looks horrid. The choice was made totally on performance. Your comment is wishful thinking! My opinion is just as valid as yours SM. Being a humble sort I dont beleive in setting my opinion up as somehow superior as some do, especially as regards setting myself outside the law ;). I suggest you start another thread if you wish to debate it further as it isnt really on topic.

Bub they plan to introduce a model inbetween the 20 and 30 or so I have heard but that isnt the limit of the changes as I am sure you are aware. My decision was based on much more than "a few afternoons in Walrus". I didnt even hear the yorke and the sme at Walrus. And you werent there at all. Reviews and looks arent the basis for a decision either. Perhaps you can start the thread now in anticipation if you wish to discuss further as its not really on topic for this thread. If so I hope we can converse in a sensible fashion or it will be very tiresome.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  10. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Well it's more interesting than talking about Mana Audio's alleged problems.

The only other change is a new power-supply which reacts to motor speed fluctuations 300 times faster than the old one. I know this because I've been on the phone to them today.

It's my decision, and I know what I want, and what I don't want. I don't see much wrong with basing my choice on numerous glowing reviews. I'm certainly not basing my choices on anything you have to say, because you appear to be a silly wind-up merchant.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  11. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes it is more interesting but it should be on another thread.

I wouldnt be surprised if they just changed the PSU - in fact it may be responsible for some of the things I heard. You dont see what is wrong with basing a choice on reviews ... yet. Am I correct in saying you have still to even hear the deck? The B&W N800 gets numerous glowing reviews but it still sounds like s**t. Maybe I am just too cynical. No its never my intent to wind you up. The yorke is a great deck... as is the sme.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  12. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

No, I haven't heard it. I have better things to do with my time than spending it demoing a lot of TTs. I will have the 20 on sale-or-return, so that's fine. On a Mana-related theme, the SME is JW's favourite turntable of all time, and he's heard a few.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  13. anon_bb

michaelab desafinado

James and BBV please take your TT discussion onto a new thread.

michaelab, Jan 6, 2006
  14. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Mods - can you snip out the turntable related bits into a seperate thread please?

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  15. anon_bb

michaelab desafinado

Done.

michaelab, Jan 6, 2006
  16. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Many thanks. Sometimes these things happen - best to branch them off as soon as they get going!

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  17. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I await your report on the first listening session with interest bub!

Given the amount you are spending it does seem odd to me that you dont have the inclination to look at a few alternatives, but thats your preference and thats fine. I think shops are useful to the extent that if they cant get it to sound good in the shop then you dont bother taking it home. However sounding good in the shop doesnt mean it will necessarily sound good at home.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  18. anon_bb

Heuer

I have one and it is a thing of joy to use. Currently running with a Koetsu Rosewood Platinum. Never needs tweaking or adjusting it just does what it says on the box - plays music very well.

What is the PSU upgrade all about, and is it a retro fit?

Heuer, Jan 6, 2006
  19. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

BBV,

You simply have a hard on for La Ponce as Bub has intimated. The same for PMC and Bryston. In your opinion they are peerless. In my opinion they are average. Come on admit it. You like the style of the Brinkmann and you like being different. No harm in that providing you don't upset others.

SME do not have a need for constant model updates and changes. This is because they designed something fundementally right in the first place that has stood the test of time. We will see how Brinkmann fair in years to come.

Stereo Mic, Jan 6, 2006
  20. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

SM - noone is discussing BLG except you on this thread. This is about the SME. Bub stated he wanted only a british deck so I suggested the Yorke was worth a listen. If he doesnt want to make that effort then that is his choice. Note that I did not suggest the Brinkmann as it is not british. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder against Brinkmann as your comments across several fora shows. Probably as a few reviews placed the BLB in the same category as the rockport above the sme30. Not that this means anything. Give it a rest. Style doesnt come into it - I actually prefer the look of the yorke and the sme. Likewise PMC and Bryston are ugly pieces of kit. Face it - people can listen to the same kit you did and make a different choice. That doesnt invalidate either choice.

I beleive Linn use the same argument for the lp12 yet that doesnt stop the sme being better in every respect. Your argument is just marketing hyperbole.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
Ask a Question