Tv Licence Rip Off, Time To Stop.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nando, Jan 1, 2009.

1. nando

Haselsh1 Shaun H

You only need a TV licence to receive broadcasts that are watched as they are transmitted. If your TV is being used to watch DVD's or video's, you do not need a licence. You do not need a licence for the BBC iPlayer as it is not a 'live' broadcast. It is very clearly outlined by the licencing authority.

Haselsh1, Jan 5, 2009
  2. nando

RDD Longterm Lurker

Seems you're right, I think the law's changed recently as that didn't used to be the case – seems they're now putting the onus of trust on the public, very shaky ground that and almost impossible to prove one way or another.

RDD, Jan 5, 2009
  3. nando

Dev Moderator

Yup, I'd agree it's shaky. So if I get a visit from those friendly people I just need to make sure that I can prove that I cannot watch any TV broadcasts because my laptop (with TV adapter) is not booted up, my TV doesn't have an aerial etc. etc.

Dev, Jan 5, 2009
  4. nando

Bob McC living the life of Riley

No.
    You have to prove nothing.
    The authorities have to prove you watch live broadcasts without owning a license. It matters not whether you own equipment that can receive live broadcasts. If you do not avail yourself of them you do not need a license. You do not have to have a TV licence to own a TV set.
    It isn't shaky at all the law is unequivocal it is just the idiots that the licencing authority employ who do not understand it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    Bob McC, Jan 5, 2009
  5. nando

Czechchris

That's right, you don't have to prove you are not breaking the law.

Innocent until proven guilty, in this country. They have to prove guilt.

There is no other area of life where the authorities try to insist that you must prove you are not a lawbreaker.

Czechchris, Jan 5, 2009
  6. nando

RDD Longterm Lurker

Totally irrelevant to me but useful for others I may be able to pass this interesting info onto, just goes to show you need to keep up with this stuff or you get left behind :)

RDD, Jan 5, 2009
  7. nando

Haselsh1 Shaun H

I was quite pleased when the TV inspector or whoever the hell he was turned up. I had no aerial connection to my TV and no way of ever connecting one but I was making full use of DVD. It still didn't stop the paper notifications arriving on the doorstep via the post though. If it proves one thing it is that you must know the law.

Haselsh1, Jan 5, 2009
  8. nando

You should not have let him in. They have no right of access without a court order.
    I hope you just ignored all letters and didn't waste time responding to them.

Bob McC, Jan 5, 2009
  9. nando

Czechchris

Too right! And in order to get a court order they have to produce some evidence that you are breaking the law. Not having a licence is not evidence.

Czechchris, Jan 5, 2009
  10. nando

Haselsh1 Shaun H

I did knuckle down and let him in but I simply dismissed all of the threatening letters thereafter. As I said earlier in this thread, what they do is basically harrassment and that is a criminal offence in the UK. Isn't it funny how the TV licencing authority seem to get away with it when the rest of us would have a court injunction against us...???

Haselsh1, Jan 5, 2009
  11. nando

mr cat Member of the month

if you check my url above you'll see that it's standard practice... :)

mr cat, Jan 5, 2009
  12. nando

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Indeed.

I wrote them a snotogram and haven't heard from them since.

I also did as Mark suggested, and withdrew implied right of access. That means that if they knock on my door they are trespassing.

Unfortunately, my understanding of their MO (no, not the forum member.... Modus Operandi) is that writing a nasty letter gets you put on an ignore list for two years, after which their threats begin again.

I-S, Jan 5, 2009
  13. nando

penance Arrogant Cock

Try getting them to understand a relative has died and no longer needs a licence, apparently they epect the deceased to put it in writing!
    Last thing i need is dealing with nobbers like that.

penance, Jan 5, 2009
  14. nando

Dev Moderator

Guys, I can't help thinking that it is perhaps too for licence dodgers to avoid paying up. If everyone did that who will suffer in the long run?

P.S. Please note that my comment is not aimed at those who genuinely don't need to pay the licence fee.

Dev, Jan 5, 2009
  15. nando

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Mmmm... a reduced rate for those who cannot see...!!! Aren't they so bloody generous.

Haselsh1, Jan 5, 2009
  16. nando

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Strangely.... you don't need a TV license if you have a freeview box that you use to listen to the sound (with no picture - ie with no tv attached), but that a blind person with a tv must pay?

Dev - then they should detect those people's tvs and bring them to court with that evidence and convict them. Then they don't need to make unpleasant threats to people who genuinely choose not to watch tv.

I-S, Jan 5, 2009
  17. nando

Tenson Moderator

Experience would suggest that isn't true. My best mates girlfriend did not have a TV so ignored their letters. They came round with the police and broke the lock on her apartment door when she was out. They even made a fuss about hanging around and fitting a new lock. I guess being Japanese they thought she was a terrorist?!

She had started the proceedings to take the police and BBC to court, but sadly she got very ill and passed away recently.

Tenson, Jan 5, 2009
  18. nando

Tenson Moderator

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think Nando's point to begin with was that if you have Sky TV, not Freeview or terrestrial, then why should you pay the BBC? The only reason I can think of is you can still receive the BBC on Sky TV.

Still, I like the BBC radio, news service and Top Gear, so if I had a TV I would be happy to pay the license. I don't have a TV though, so I don't hehe!

Tenson, Jan 6, 2009
  19. nando

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

Same here Bob... in fact only few Italians pay :JOEL:

Arlequen, Jan 6, 2009
  20. nando

Despite Tenson's sad post let's be quite clear here. Without a court order the TV licensing people have no more right to enter property than a milkman.

Bob McC, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question