TV licence........

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DavidF, Apr 21, 2008.

1. DavidF

DavidF

I'll just post this over here as well....

I just got a note telling me that "they have no record" of me paying for a liccence (I have!) having bought something from a major supermarket. The only thing I can think of is a home security camera!

I make this point as;

1) This is not the first time this has happened.

2) IME the TV licence is not something thats easy fo file away! It doesn't seem to have a proper place (IME).

3) There is (increasingly) very little worth watching on TV now anyway so I strongly resent paying for it TWICE!.

4) It annoys me profoundly when they can't keep their records straight .....this letter may have coused an older person real worry.
    They hadn't even got my name right.

Right address, wrong person.

David

DavidF, Apr 21, 2008
  2. DavidF

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Although aimed more at not paying for the license, this is a useful site, have a read through some of it:

http://www.bbctvlicence.com

Their adverts always make me laugh... "We have a database with every address"

Well done, you have access to the postcode address file, have a cookie.

Telkman, Apr 21, 2008
  3. DavidF

DavidF

Intersting, thanks Mark.

Perhpts I am just generally hacked off with everything just now (with a pulled back thats so sloooooow to come right)....

all too often now a put the TV on and find one of;

1) Graham Norton.

2) Some form of talent spotting documentary (the first couple were ok.....after 500 :rolleyes: ....... no.)

3) Some form of ( c****y) quizz.

4) Cornotion st't, deadenders or similar.

5) A USA crime series ( last night involving a blokes wife murdered+daughter kidnapped.......I don't want to see it)

There are good progs (IMO) eg coast, historical stuff, bbc news, geographical travel docus.

FAR too much dross though.

IMO of course!

DavidF, Apr 21, 2008
  4. DavidF

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

I shan't comment on the TV license, I'll only get myself intro trouble... :p

It's all down to personal choice, I guess - have you got Freeview?

The 4/5 main channels are far more dumbed down these days than ten years ago for the most part - fortunately I've got Freeview and a hard disk recorder, so I can record and watch some intellectual viewing at my leisure!

Telkman, Apr 21, 2008
  5. DavidF

DavidF

Yes, I use a Humax recorder.

It doesn't have dvd recorder built in. I bought a separate dvd recorder but using the two is more trouible than its worth.

I don't really like watching stuff in retrospect. I normally hit on stuff on the moment whilst having my nosh. If there is something, great; if not ......

"The 4/5 main channels are far more dumbed down these days than ten years ago for the most part "

Yes, agreed.

My dad says they are all competing with each othe to see who can do it the worst...and I think hes right.

DavidF, Apr 21, 2008
  6. DavidF

lbr monkey boy

My telly must be on the blink, all I get are programs about people selling houses, buying houses, relocating houses, building houses or renovating houses. Think I'll listen to my hifi instead...

lbr, Apr 21, 2008
  7. DavidF

kmac

Excellent point lbr, I hardly watch TV nowdays as the hifi is so compelling....and you get to choose whats on.

( I use you in the generic sense, I mean I get to choose whats on my hifi,not you)

kmac, Apr 22, 2008
  8. DavidF

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I haven't owned a television for over a year now and can't say I miss it a great deal. I still catch it on the odd weekends at my parents (Family Guy appears to be the only thing worth watching at the moment). I use a projector for playing video games and watching dvds. Obviously, I listen to lots of music and read lots instead. If I need news and want to listen to documentaries and political analysis, I listen to Radio 4.

I do miss the History Channel and nature documentaries, but I always buy Attenborough box sets upon release.

Despite all this, I STILL PAY MY TV LICENSE!!! This is because the TVLA are the biggest bunch of Gestapo-Nazi-Axe-Murderers I've ever come across and I'm quite happy paying £12 a month to shield me from offensive letters and keep nasty men away from my door. Madness I know, but what price sanctity??

I'm not old fogey either - I'm 28!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 22, 2008
  9. DavidF

DavidF

Avery healthy approach if I might say so.

I applaud you.

NO

Don't let them bully you!

DavidF, Apr 22, 2008
  10. DavidF

DavidF

I switched on last night .....

a family scene of some sort; the usual fashionable flashing scenes ...one to the other ......so that you can't focus on any thing...

then it came to rest on on a man throwing up in toilet (full sound effects of course)..

...as I was havng my tea. :mad: :mad:

Was that necessary?

This really cliinched my opinion of contemporary TV transmission/production quality.

:(

DavidF, Apr 25, 2008
  11. DavidF

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I don't pay the TV licence fee either...

... and they just won't leave me alone. I've told them repeatedly that I don't have a TV, and their response to that is a nice threat to send the "enforcement officers" around. To enforce what?! Are they to re-educate me such that I renounce my non-viewing ways?

I don't have people sending me letters about not having a fishing licence, public entertainment licence, HGV class 1 licence, etc. I fail to understand why the TV licence is different?

I-S, Apr 25, 2008
  12. DavidF

DavidF

The impression I have of them from here and pf is that they are bullying bunch of b******s.

DavidF, Apr 25, 2008
  13. DavidF

A.N.

Despite all this, I STILL PAY MY TV LICENSE!!! This is because the TVLA are the biggest bunch of Gestapo-Nazi-Axe-Murderers I've ever come across and I'm quite happy paying £12 a month to shield me from offensive letters and keep nasty men away from my door. Madness I know, but what price sanctity??

I'm not old fogey either - I'm 28!

DT[/QUOTE]

dont pay it!!!! ignore the letters, wait til some suit comes to ye hoose to demand payment and smack the tw*t right in the kisser and remind him that he'll get the same again if he continues to demand moneys with menaces. :bub:

A.N., Apr 25, 2008
  14. DavidF

DavidF

:D :D

DavidF, Apr 25, 2008
  15. DavidF

eisenach

Ah, yes! The good old TVLA. For 20 years, we didn't have a TV at all, and received perpetual harassment. Then about 6 years ago we bought a TV in France which could only receive the SECAM system off-air (ie not UK TV), which we fed with DVDs and VCs. This satisfied TVLA. We didn't need a licence and we never heard from them again. 3 years ago, I bought a French satellite TV system which can only receive French TV. Guess what - we need a licence! We still can't/don't watch UK TV, but we have to pay £130-odd a year for the privilege. Worth it for radios 3 & 4, though - maybe!

eisenach, Apr 28, 2008
  16. DavidF

DavidF

I've just been having an office sort out.

notice the credit card payemnt ducumented.

So, with....

1) the credit card payment notifiction

2) the online payment receipt

3) the licence

....do I have sufficient evidence that I paid?

(Or) might I need more evidence, since its obviously clear that their records (according to them in their letter to me) are bang up to date and they had every right to ask me to pay again?

DavidF, Apr 28, 2008
  17. DavidF

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Ignore them from now on. If it goes to court watch the judge react when you produce the proof you paid. You're watertight definitely!

Bob McC, Apr 28, 2008
  18. DavidF

DavidF

YOu would have thought so....

;)

DavidF, Apr 28, 2008
Ask a Question