TVC Compatibility

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by FreddytheEagle, Mar 9, 2008.

1. FreddytheEagle

Tenson Moderator

In my home-brew 3-way stereo digital crossover. The 6 layer 24 position volume control switch is a meanie!

P.S. Just been informed by my secrete agent man that the MKI is not at all bad and sounds very similar to the MKIII. The MKII should probably be avoided though.

Tenson, Mar 13, 2008
  2. FreddytheEagle

anon_bb Honey Badger

Was it the squabous lurker in the water?

anon_bb, Mar 13, 2008
  3. FreddytheEagle

FreddytheEagle

Not heard this one. Nor would I want to. I've seen the price. 24 carat gold ridiculous.

...IMO of course.

FreddytheEagle, Mar 13, 2008
  4. FreddytheEagle

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Blimey it must look like a plate of spaghetti in there.

Uncle Ants, Mar 13, 2008
  5. FreddytheEagle

anubisgrau

true, i have both mk2 and mk3 at home and mk2 is flat and squashed compared to mk3, not to mention it has no +6db gain option plus can't be wired balanced properly. i might seem harsh with S&B but i just believe 102 is not the best world TVC transformer as they advertized (in music first promotion), there are better sounding products out there.

anubisgrau, Mar 13, 2008
  6. FreddytheEagle

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

So is that the distinguishing mark? The +6 dB switch is certainly nice to have.

SteveC, Mar 13, 2008
  7. FreddytheEagle

FreddytheEagle

The power amp has arrived and is now in session. It may be a daft question, but - my integrated (not yet decided on which passive) is being used as a pre at the moment and outputs 0.74V, whereas the power amp needs 1.2V for full power. Does it therefore follow that the 65W output would be pro-rata i.e 0.74 divided by 1.2 times 65 = 40wpc (rather than 65 wpc).

:confused::confused::confused:

FreddytheEagle, Mar 22, 2008
  8. FreddytheEagle

Tenson Moderator

Yup, if you can't output enough voltage from the pre to drive the power amp, you won't make use of its full power. Many active pres can output more than they spec, but I'm not sure in this case since it will be designed to work with the other half of the integrated.

Except I think it should be worked out that since a halving of voltage is -6dB (0.74 is almost 1/2 of 1.2) and -6dB means a quarter of the power. So you can only use just over 15watts.

Tenson, Mar 22, 2008
  9. FreddytheEagle

FreddytheEagle

Cheers Tenson

Blimey, the bells starting ringing when the new amp sounded not as good as I hoped. :(So at the moment I'm running (circa) 15w into a B&W 800 series speaker! :yikes:No wonder.....

Does that mean with a TVC i'd get the output voltage of the cdp - 2.1vrms (which would be more than enough to fulfill the 1.2V requirement) or is there a voltage drop across the TVC?

FreddytheEagle, Mar 22, 2008
  10. FreddytheEagle

Tenson Moderator

You should get the full voltage. Or if the TVC has a +6dB option you can get even more.

Tenson, Mar 22, 2008
  11. FreddytheEagle

FreddytheEagle

Zanash (pete) has been round and we've plugged his Beard pre, which has the ability to be run as either a passive (resistive) or valve active pre, into the system. Things are cooking now on both. The passive to me sounds slightly more detailed and with the valve active section used everything sounded nice and rounded. Cheers to Pete for his time and effort.

I can heartily recommend his cabling by the way which is sensibly priced and very good. the palladium interconnect is awesome. :slayer:

Decided on ordering the Django TVC so will post a report when that arrives.

FreddytheEagle, Mar 25, 2008
  12. FreddytheEagle

garykg Garykg

One thing you should remember is that you do not ONLY pay the dollar price but bank charges, carriage, import duty and VAT! .The prices we offer are based on straightforward cost calculations WITHOUT ANY MARKUP! You also benefit from dealing with a LOCAL supplier - so in the event of a problem WE sort it out. It seems some people are never happy. By the way the SAC
    STA -522 transformers are available at £200 /pair
    (including VAT) + postage £6.00
    Gary Gardner - Acoustic Perfection, Ely, Cambs.UK

garykg, Mar 26, 2008
Ask a Question