Tvc passive pre advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oceanobsession, Mar 2, 2008.

1. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

Hi all. Whats the best value for money tvc passive pre.
    I would be using a rotel rb981 power amp Input Impedance/Sensitivity 33 k Ohms/1.0 volt.
    my cd player is an arcam cd 192 output level (0db) 2.2vrms
    would these values be ok
    cheers ocean

oceanobsession, Mar 2, 2008
  2. oceanobsession

stugeek

I used to use an RB-981 with a traditional passive-pre. I have no idea how a TVC pre works but with a traditional passive the amp was boring, flat and unexiting at lower volumes. Give it a bit of welly though and my living room became a church, concert hall or recording studio - depending on what was played of course :)

PS - I think the passive had the effect of attenuating high frequencies at low volumes hence the dull sound.

stugeek, Mar 2, 2008
  3. oceanobsession

speedy.steve

Dunno about matching the sensitivities but the Promethius TVC has got to be the best value and works well in my kit.
    Better than a simple vol pot and better than a couple of active pre-amps I've tried (these were also better than the simple vol pot).

I second that about the lower volumes - the TVC less more music through somehow.
    All to do with impedance matching so I'm told.

I'd like to try a more exotic TVC at some point in time though.

See

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=13934

These are more money

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/django_e.html

speedy.steve, Mar 2, 2008
  4. oceanobsession

dreftar

I have ued a promithius in my system since early December and would not part with it. The only thing that I would change though is to the duo mono version of this wonderful passive. The case even works well in my system complementing my LP 12. I find that it works exceptionally well at lower volumes than I usually play music and since Ive began using the passive the volumes that I listen to music have decreased and I find that I am litening to more music for longer spells now. Initially the bass was a bit overwhelming with the Promi but after a month or so the character of the pre amp changed and it became more open, detailed and altogether a joy in use.

dreftar, Mar 2, 2008
  5. oceanobsession

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I think those values are OK. As far as the workings of TVCs as opposed to passive volume pots goes, and the perceived loss of dynamics with the latter, Music First have a kind of explanation and some technical details starting from http://www.mfaudio.co.uk/passive_pre.htm.

SteveC, Mar 3, 2008
  6. oceanobsession

i_should_coco Monkey

i_should_coco, Mar 3, 2008
Ask a Question