TVC Sound

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by murray johnson, Jun 18, 2006.

1. murray johnson

Stereo Mic

Rob, that's because according to the creator, BG's colour the sound and the incredibly transparent TVC exposes this. That's the problem really - the TVC is always blameless.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad pre, and represents good value for money for DIY audio nuts.

Stereo Mic, Jun 25, 2006
  2. murray johnson

Dev Moderator

S&M, what's Star Trek got to do with TVC? :D

In case you're not a trekkie, an Android often talks about his creator in TNG.

I hadn't realised that Thorsten invented the TVC. I suddenly see him in new light, to me it's truly an original idea. God, he must be loaded:). Or at least can afford some shirts:D.

Dev, Jun 25, 2006
  3. murray johnson

Tenson Moderator

I thought he was just suggesting that Thorsten was a God. Quite unlike S&M.

Dev, my understanding is that while T came up with the main specifications for the TX102, S&B make them and the Music First pre-amp. As far as I know T pretty much told them how to do it. Not sure if he gets anything for it but a load of annoying stories about how the Music First replaced a million pound pre-amp each week, I'll let him answer that one!

Tenson, Jun 25, 2006
  4. murray johnson

anon_bb Honey Badger

The sad thing is there is no competitiveness its all in your imagination.

As I have stated I will audition other preamps and phonos as they become available and have been doing so already.

anon_bb, Jun 25, 2006
  5. murray johnson

Dev Moderator

I knew S&M didn't mean that. He knows that's my role:).

Dev, Jun 25, 2006
  6. murray johnson

JonR

What have you been auditioning then, BBV? Care to let us in on the big secret?

I have heard a Premier T-1 (I think it's called) TVC unit at a bake-off recently and all of us who were there thought it sounded very good indeed. Source was an Esoteric X-03 CDP, and the power amp was a Blackgate-equipped Audio Synthesis Desire Decade.

JonR, Jun 25, 2006
  7. murray johnson

RobHolt Moderator

Still on. A friend and loyal Naimee has kindly offered to supply the CD5X/Flatcap/202/Hicap/NAP200. It has to be done with Naim for the full-on effect ;)

PM mw with some dates mid/end July.

RobHolt, Jun 25, 2006
  8. murray johnson

Dev Moderator

All this talk of TVC is ****ing me off because about 5-6 weeks ago I ordered the source slelector and volume control switch and there's still no sign of them.:mad:

Dev, Jun 25, 2006
  9. murray johnson

RobHolt Moderator

Rest assured though Dev that your shinny knobs are safe :)

RobHolt, Jun 25, 2006
  10. murray johnson

Tenson Moderator

Rob, Eww...

Dev, Was that from EAO or DIYHIFSupply? I just sent about £125 to EAO so I hope they deliver!

Tenson, Jun 25, 2006
  11. murray johnson

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Just for the sake of balance - at another '2 posters from zerogain' bake off at mine - the glasshouse was found roughly the equal of the TVC - with different sonic presentations. The glasshouse was refered to as being 'more naim like' for its snappy presentation, and the TVC for being 'more musical fidelity' for its fairy-gossamer light touch thing.

The active valve pre was prefered to both pre-amps, by a small margin.

All this in the context of my own system.

The point of my post is just to point out the individual nature of each system will suit certain products more than others. Individual taste may vary too.

Nothing new or exciting in what I've said, it's old hat to know that there is no such thing as ''better'' or ''worse''...just different... but nevertheless they are words that pop up a bit often.

bottleneck, Jun 25, 2006
  12. murray johnson

anon_bb Honey Badger

The WAD pre and phono so far - but a number of other phonos lined up. I now have the S&B stepup attached to my phono and have rejigged the latter for MM. Quite a big improvement especially in the bass - need to experiment with loading though.

anon_bb, Jun 25, 2006
  13. murray johnson

RobHolt Moderator

Lets widen things......

I was talking about the TVC ringing with Simon at the weekend and we got onto the subject of vinyl and the effect of frequencies above 20khz on a TVC. There is plenty of wanted 'information' above 20khz on a vinyl disc but also a lot of rubbish including the ringing of the cutting head. Some phono cartridges are better at retrieving these signals than others. Some, mainly moving magnet designs with limited HF response above 20khz will not faithfully retrieve these frequencies. Most have a tip mass resonance at between 18khz and 25khz and little output thereafter.
    Moving coils extend much higher at the top end and different models will react differently to cutter resonance and other HF hash.

Below are three 1khz square waves replayed via an ADC moving magnet, Denon 103 and Fidelity Research FR1. The ADC has the most limited HF response with the FR having the greatest and the Denon somewhere in the middle. There are many factors at play here but you'll get the general point I'm sure.
    The caption on the graphs to 'ignore ultrasonic cutter ringing' is rather ironic :)

Of course, many op amp based phono stages also do strange things when presented with these signals, buts thats another argument :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RobHolt, Jun 25, 2006
  14. murray johnson

Stereo Mic

Good heavens I wouldn't suggest that. Only the creator seems to think along those lines.

You'll usually find he's behind most recommendations on ZG somehow ;)

Stereo Mic, Jun 25, 2006
  15. murray johnson

Stereo Mic

Why's that then Rob?

Stereo Mic, Jun 25, 2006
  16. murray johnson

RobHolt Moderator

Well, those scans come form Hi-Fi Choice 1981 and the reviewer clearly believed that the ringing was of little consequence. I'd say that HF hash entering the replay chain at any point is important. Some circuits handle it better than others.

RobHolt, Jun 25, 2006
  17. murray johnson

Tenson Moderator

Nick,

Following on from what Rob posted.. we theorised that maybe the reason we heard a difference with the level of attenuation at you place is when we were playing from record and the ringing was being excited, accentuated by the crock clips not getting such a good connection sometimes. It would explain things. Maybe it is worth experimenting with a filter on your phono stage? I'd try a 2nd order at 30KHz.

Tenson, Jun 25, 2006
  18. murray johnson

anon_bb Honey Badger

There isnt a difference any more - so it was just the croc clips I think.

anon_bb, Jun 25, 2006
  19. murray johnson

Tenson Moderator

Ahh okay. Well I'm glad the pre is working well. You never know, it might get better still if you can filter out ultra high frequencies.

Tenson, Jun 26, 2006
  20. murray johnson

Dev Moderator

DIYHiFiSupply. I have contacted them and they told me that the switches were despatched about 5-6 weeks ago, straight after receiving the order. They have asked their postal service to start an investigation. EAO were reluctant to deal with me because it was a small order and I don't have an account with them.:(. Pity really, because they were very helpful otherwise.

Dev, Jun 26, 2006
Ask a Question