TVR Gone Now!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bob McC, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC living the life of Riley

3 pm BBC news. This morning's announcement of 73 lay offs is now factory closure in 6 months. Rumour has it they are only making 2 cars a week.

Bob McC, Apr 24, 2006
  2. Bob McC

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I saw this on the news the other day, it seems have got burried with the Ryton closure.

It is a shame, TVR did make some interesting cars even though they are a bit crap in some ways, i.e death traps and unreliable.

i guess we should have known it would end up in trouble when that Russians bought it.

amazingtrade, Apr 24, 2006
  3. Bob McC

Mr_Sukebe

Check the Pistonheads website for more details.
    Yes the factory is closing, but that's because they're moving to another (as yet undisclosed) factory.
    Nothing like having only half the story in the press. Such a nice bunch that they are.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Bob McC

I've heared it all before though, shop closing down for reburshment = shop gone for good.

The problem is I don't think many people buy TVRs, they are used for track days and such but it is quite rarer that I see a TVR, I probably see far more Aston Martins about.

5. Bob McC

Heavymental

Maybe the publicity will do them good. If indeed they are moving....

Heavymental, Apr 24, 2006
  6. Bob McC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'll be gutted if they close.

Nobody makes better looking sports cars inside or out than TVR in my opinion.

(gross exageration, but I think they look fabulous)

bottleneck, Apr 24, 2006
  7. Bob McC

julian2002 Muper Soderator

they were better in the mid 90's hay days though, they had that bonkers v8 engine and the styling was like nothing else. nowadays they all look a bit eliseish with a few axe wounds scattered here and there and they all have that straight 6 engine.
    they should do a 20-30k 2 seater convertible with a detuned straight 6 (like their old 's' series) and a new mentalist car with twin turbos or a supercharger / turbo combo pack on their striaght 6. 600+ bhp in a fibreglass body, no traction contol, airbags or abs. yes that's what they MUST make.
    their interiors have just got better and better though - totally hatstand but great.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Bob McC

Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo, Apr 24, 2006
  9. Bob McC

Things have probably improved but they do have a reputation for being unreliable with the general public.

As for safety in the wrong hands they are lot more lethal than your average Renult.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Don't know about reopening somewhere else but if yer only making 2 a week you could build them in my shed. TGWU spokesperson thinks its the end anyway.

Bob McC, Apr 24, 2006
  11. Bob McC

Dev Moderator

As are Porsches (particularly the early tail happy 911s), Ferraris....

Actually in the wrong hands even a pram can be dangerous:).

Dev, Apr 24, 2006
  12. Bob McC

Yeah but at least you have ABS, traction control, airbags, impact bars etc on your porchse so if you crash it you have a good chance of survival, providing you're not doing 100mph at the time :D

13. Bob McC

Dev Moderator

I know what you mean but I think the danger element only added to the appeal of the TVRs (ahem, not for me obviously:)).

Dev, Apr 24, 2006
  14. Bob McC

I suppose it is a bit like motorbikes. I can see the appeal in fast or nice cars but I have never really got TVR as a road car, on the track I can imagine they would be extremely good.

15. Bob McC

badchamp Thermionic Member

My g/f's ex used to have one, sounded great, looked the biz but christ it was uncomfortable for anything other than a perfect road. Shook me bollox off. Obviously thats why she left him for my Rover 416 !! :0

Jeff

badchamp, Apr 24, 2006
  16. Bob McC

I would rather be a passanger in a sexy 416 anyday. The sound of that lovely K series doing its job (assuming it is a K series) and the lovely note of them head gaskets blowing (only kidding :D).

17. Bob McC

avanzato

Years ago someone I vaguely knew killed their girlfriend in a 911 crash so it's best to dickaround in one on your own (if at all) and over the weekend a Viper managed to drive into another car while overtaking on the Acle straight. Terrible road that one, cars are always coming off it and disappearing into the ditch.

I see quite a few TVR's around maybe cos I live on a 'twisty' road that's just had a sudden outbreak of 'Think bike' signs. :rolleyes:
    So assumed they were still selling OK or I was just seeing the same cars again and again and again :D
    IMO the recent TVR's designs have been ugly but I'd have though there was enough demand around for them, obviously there wasn't.
    I get the impression that these days the Pushchair is used to find out if the road is safe to cross, stick it out into the traffic and if the baby doesn't get run over then it's probably OK to go. The number of times I see pushchairs hanging over the curb while the parent stands safely on the path.
    There've been two K series in my family neither of which had any engine problems, the cars actually succumed to rust (Metro) and the complete desintegration of the interior trim (Rover 400). The Metro was mildly amusing as it was much faster than it looked and had comfy seats, the handling was quite good (at least when the suspension hadn't deflated)

avanzato, Apr 25, 2006
  18. Bob McC

greg Its a G thing

Try a Clio 182 and you'd retract that statement.

greg, Apr 25, 2006
  19. Bob McC

Coda II getting there slowly

didn't Peter Wheeler sell up sometime ago to a young man from Russia who was going to invest etc (the quote from the factory was about new uniforms for everyone)?
    and wasn't it Peter's dog that was responsible for some of the styling? (taking bites out of the models!)

Coda II, Apr 25, 2006
  20. Bob McC

Dev Moderator

A long time ago, I saw a Ford Capri undertaking a car on the outside lane at traffic lights and hit a pram which was half off the curb. The baby/pram flew over the car before landing on the ground. It was a very sickening site. I don't know what happened to the baby. All I remembered for a while were the screaming mother and the look on the Capri driver's face, who probably was prosecuted for the undertaking but in my opinion the mother was equally to blame.

I still feel sick when I see mothers pushing their prams/push chairs so near the curb before stopping to look for traffic. I can't believe how so many of them can be so moronic.

Dev, Apr 25, 2006
Ask a Question