tweaking.....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, Jun 20, 2007.

1. banpe2006

b1u3print

So you feel that an equipment rack can make or brake a system?

b1u3print, Jun 22, 2007
  2. banpe2006

Neil

Peter Belt - interesting but 'barking' in some respects - advises to try some of his tweaks for free (pin back a corner of each curtain in your listening room and enjoy the difference, unpin and check your suffering...) before purchasing his foils and creams. It's worth googling!
    Some tweaks seem 'left field' but I'd say keep an open mind. I purchased Thorsten L's (3Dsonics, ex of this forum) DVD player extensively modded for CD replay - in addition to new power supply, clock and zap filter output stage there are chinese chess pieces to 'resonance tune' components, crystal points and C37 laquer involved - the result is a true wolf in sheeps clothing, much more than the sum of its parts imo...

Neil, Jun 24, 2007
  3. banpe2006

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I got some of the chess pieces free at a show too.

They are quite pretty.

I can't play chinese chess unfortunately, but my 8 year old likes to play with them.

bottleneck, Jun 24, 2007
  4. banpe2006

zanash

They can play a huge part in the final sound ....if you think thats a yes so be it ... but there are many other factors involved. In this case I've heard the system and rack combo and heard the difference adding a set of davidf's feet made....these couple/isolate so it clear the rack is at best just holding the gear up and not doing much sonically...this of course can't be extrapolated to racks in general.

Theres no evidence to suppose Mr Belt is anything but sane .....[I don't necessarily agree with his ideas pre say] ....but just because someones ideas do not conform to the herd mentality does not necessarily make them barking... just different. His fuse tweak works for me ..but not a lot else.

zanash, Jun 24, 2007
  5. banpe2006

zanash

I got two set of these .... pieces ....they make very good feet ..though I was admonished for there use in this fashion....I've had odd results with these that are inconsistent at best ..I'd promised to do a write up on them but ...due to there inconsistent effect this has proved highly problematic. I'm told you don't even need to take them out the box ....

zanash, Jun 24, 2007
  6. banpe2006

Lynn SkeptiK

Peter Belt is perfectly entitled to make a good living out of the difference between the mirror and the wardrobe if he so wishes. Let him go on exploiting the worm holes of our insecurities...good luck to him.

Now, I have some Pennine Oil Shares available.

Anyone?

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 24, 2007
  7. banpe2006

zanash

sorry ....why are you bad mouthing this chap ?

Just because he has different ideas does not mean that he is quote "exploiting the worm holes of our insecurities" it just means he has different ideas ....by the way there such a thing as trading standard in the uk ...if as your suggesting his products don't work ...why not contact them ?

Sorry if this seems like a rant its not meant to be ....its just that people are entitled to there own ideas....

I'm not getting on at you ....this still reads a bit aggressive ...but it say what I think

zanash, Jun 24, 2007
  8. banpe2006

DavidF

Thankyou.......:)

DavidF, Jun 24, 2007
  9. banpe2006

Lynn SkeptiK

Sorry. Didn't really mean it to sound like I was badmouthing the guy.

But even if I was, am I not entitled to my own ideas and to say what I think?

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 25, 2007
  10. banpe2006

darrylfunk

do you ever feel you are listening to the system more than the message of the music ?
    it seems to me that many people on here are fiddlers in the hobby end rather than music lovers.

it may be worth imagining someone else owning your system and having lent it to you for use in your own home with the proviso that you dont touch it !!!

this may reduce the urge to improve / tweak / imagine subleties etc.

after a few weeks you will be able to decide if you are using your system more just to play and enjoy music or if its crapola and you have lost interest in using it thus you have a poor music reproducer and o.c.d.

give it a try .....

darrylfunk, Jun 26, 2007
  11. banpe2006

banpe2006

I like this darryl...a good way to test...

banpe2006, Jun 26, 2007
  12. banpe2006

melorib Lowrider

What are you doing in this forum, why not go to one of music only, boring... :chunder:

melorib, Jun 27, 2007
  13. banpe2006

zanash

An interesting prospect....I actually do the reverse if I go and visit anyone ...

I imagine what would I do if the system was mine ....so essentially theres a useful tool to analysis your system.

As to tweaking .....

You should know if a tweak works or not ...if you can't tell then its probably worth taking it out and listening again ..if you can hear the loss of the tweak then refit it. As to the music ...just because you tweak your system does not mean you don't sit down to listen to music.

those people who don't try different things will never know if a small change in say speaker position will improve the sound out of all proportion to the effort. But theres a dichotomy here ...if your interested in music and hifi then the aim is to get the best sounding music from your system ..ie closest to the original performance or reducing the signal losses from software to replay. If anyone tells you any different, you can tell straight away they are not interested in music or its reproduction. They are like my wife ..she is happy with a wind up transistor radio to listen to music and the spoken word. Where as I strive to get the very best from my system and if that means trying different things or ideas so be it !

zanash, Jun 27, 2007
  14. banpe2006

Joe

So your wife isn't interested in music? If that's the case, why does she listen to it?

Joe, Jun 27, 2007
  15. banpe2006

Dev Moderator

Actually Darryl makes a very good point. If you are constantly listening to how your system sounds and thinking how you can improve it, you can't realy fully enjoy the music.

Dev, Jun 27, 2007
  16. banpe2006

melorib Lowrider

Very good point indeed... :zzzz:

melorib, Jun 27, 2007
  17. banpe2006

Dev Moderator

Glad you agree:rolleyes:

Dev, Jun 27, 2007
  18. banpe2006

zanash

I think you missunderstood ..or I was not clear ...

my wife likes music but it's does not need it to be played via hifi ...in the same way some people are very happy with the there mid fi systems ..they don't have the need to listen to every nuance of the performance. Unlike those that have an interest in hifi .. that what high fidelity means ....ie getting as close to whats on the software as you can by any means. Following that logic if you have hifi but if its not set up right or performing at its best ...I would question your choice of hobby....

I know a couple of rather well off people who have very good system [£20k+] but they have no interest in hifi /music reproduction and have not taken the time to setup there system [tweak] and consequently the systems sound dire...

I hope that explains things a little more clearly....

if you don't set your gear up to get the best out of it [tweak] then I suggest your not actually that interested in as faithful music reproduction as you can make your system ...[hifi]

tweaking is not just fiddling with cables and supports its the whole gamut ... from inital setup to best performance which may include everything from a mains rewire to moving the speakers by a few mm.

zanash, Jun 27, 2007
  19. banpe2006

Joe

OK, I take your point. Another way of looking at it is that many of those who enjoy/appreciate music can 'hear through' less than perfect equipment (and of course there's no such thing as perfect equipment anyway ..) whilst those who demand an ever-closer fidelity reproduction of the source are in danger of not seeing the wood for the the trees, mistaking the map for the territory, etc.

Personally, I'm far too idle to be shifting speakers by a few mm, but that's an entirely different issue.

Joe, Jun 27, 2007
  20. banpe2006

zanash

yep...your not wrong !....but if its your own system and you know its off song then you do something about it ....that for me is the difference.

zanash, Jun 27, 2007
Ask a Question