u-ziq - royal astronomy

Discussion in 'General Music' started by julian2002, Jul 2, 2003.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

this album has fallen through my letterbox today and as u-ziq has been mentioned in various other places i though i'd write my first impressions...
    u-ziq is in a similar vein to aphex twin in that he seems to respect no genre boundaries. royal astronomy borrows elements from classical / orchestral music, smaller scale string quartet style classical music, a large lump of drum and bass, samples, sequencers vocals and the bbc radiophonic workshop. he then mixes them all up and builds up layer upon layer of beautiful, musical sound. there is heavy use of varius effects and distortion in there too just to keep things interesting.
    if you are at all intrigued by aphex twin then i would say this is a no brainer after getting AT's ambient works vol 1. it';s not quite as accessible as this but is a lot easier on the ear than drukqs although perhaps not quite as satisfying once you 'get it'.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 2, 2003
  2. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

an absulute peach of an album! (that why didn't reply to my pm? ;) ) One of my MOst played at the MOment! There's just so much going on there! Starts off with them strings, then builds into a nice hip hop sound then goes over all sorts of ground! Can't remember track names (and too lazy to check) but the one with the female vocal, it's a spot on tune, but the vocal sample could have been cut better IMO it's a bit too rough and the "click" on it is a little annoying. Saying that, it adds a little to it in it's own way!

A 10/10 album IMO!

I'd of done a full review on it by now if not for the fact i'm trying to do a-z with my reviews!

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Jul 3, 2003
  3. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mo,
    you have pm.... the bloody counter at the bottom of the forum was always telling me i had no pm's.
    i'll be doing squarepusher's do you know squarepusher next...
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 3, 2003
  4. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I don't own "Do You Know Squarepusher" but i've got: Feed Me Weird Things, Big Loada, Selection 16, and Go Plastic. each and everyone is worth getting!

I just checked a few reviews of Do you know... to see what the general vibe is on it. Quite mixed it seems, but MOstly positive. I'd quite happily buy everything the man/genius has done. Hope it floats your boat!

Tends to go MOre for the jazzy sounds with the style of drum n bass Aphex does so well too. Drill n Bass?

Hope you likes it!

MO!, Jul 3, 2003
  5. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

and just incase your pm counter thingy doesn't work again... you have pm :D

MO!, Jul 3, 2003
Ask a Question