Universal remote advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ted, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Ted

Ted

Hello all - I'm in the market for an all in one remote, but I don't want one with just touch sensitive buttons as I like to control my hifi without having to look at the remote - ie I like to "feel" my way around.

I have read a good review on a US website about this remote which has both hard and touch sensitive buttons, but know nothing about Sony's reputation in this area.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=706&item=3822436226&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Any views much appreciated!

Ted, Jun 24, 2004
  2. Ted

michaelab desafinado

Get a OneForAll 6. A bit fiddly to program but once setup it's a doddle to use.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  3. Ted

Ted

Thanks for the reply - doesn't it just have touch sensitive buttons though? I really want hard buttons......

Ted, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Ted

mattross

mattross, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Ted

analoguekid Planet Rush

or the rc3200 which has both and can be edited to how you want on for each component, 1meg memory is only restriction mine currently has seven devices seton it and most have 2 or 3 screens (you can have more per device) whith buttons grouped as to use or frequency of use, has about 7 hard buttons inc 8way pad thing, also allows you to mix, eg the volume for my 5.1 thingy is controlable from other devices eg (sky remote) so volume can be adjusted wether in sound mode or channel change mode, costs £150 new tho. (is not as bad on batteries as people say, have had mine ov er 3 months now and still getting 3 out of 4 bars on batt meter.)

analoguekid, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Ted

Ted

Thanks - the rc3200 looks good and is probably about the sort of price I'd be prepared to pay.

analoguekid - are you very pleased with it then? Any negatives that might influence my decision?

cheers

Ted, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Ted

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Ted

analoguekid Planet Rush

Programming can be a little fiddly, but you only have to do it once, and backlight doesn't come on automatically when you tap screen/buttons, other than that I'm extremely pleased with it.

Paul

Ps try seven oaks as they will let you change it easy enough if you find you don't like it.

analoguekid, Jun 25, 2004
  9. Ted

michaelab desafinado

All the OneForAll remotes except the Kameleon have real buttons.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 25, 2004
  10. Ted

sane4sure

I bought the Marantz RC2000 MkII for £45 on ebay to replace a Kameleon 6 and have never looked back. All the buttons you could want and never missed a beat learning the functions of my other remotes. Just make sure you turn the 'auto backlight' feature off if you don't want to be changing batteries every 5 minutes.

sane4sure, Jun 25, 2004
  11. Ted

Hex Spurt

The Philips/Marantz programmable remotes are very good. I use a Marantz RC9200 which is a fancy colour screen version. The 3200 does a lot of the same functions.They're all based on a similar design with a mix of hard and soft keys.

The really clever bit about them is they take macro functions to the next level. Rather than just replicating my existing remotes, my Marantz is set up around activities. It's programmed to present simple choices like 'Listen to CD' 'Watch a Film' 'Watch TV'. All the non-essential functions and buttons are hidden in the background. They're still accessible, but out of sight when not needed. It makes the HiFi and AV system simple to use for anyone not just us techies.

The final big bonus is the whole thing can be programmed on your PC. Its possible to have a couple of versions of your programming stored safe on the PC so you can revert back to a working version really easily. Well recommended :D

Regards

Hex

Hex Spurt, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Ted

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah hex but unless you use all marantz gear you need to be a bit osf a techy to prog the thing, still worth it though.

analoguekid, Jun 25, 2004
  13. Ted

Hex Spurt

analogue kid, no not at all!

The remote can work as basic as you want. It is a multibrand learning remote. You can point your Pana/Sky/Teac/Naim/Sony/etc etc remote head to head with the learning remote and just squirt in the IR for each function. It would take about 3 minutes to program up for a CD player for example. If all you want to do is replicate several remotes to clear the coffee table clutter it really couldn't be simpler.

Regards

Hex

Hex Spurt, Jun 26, 2004
  14. Ted

analoguekid Planet Rush

I changed all the screens on mine with customized ones tokk bloody ages. Still like it tho'

analoguekid, Jun 26, 2004
  15. Ted

Hex Spurt

Yeah, if you decide to program from a clean sheet then that can take a while, but there are so many templates available at Remote Central you can usually find someones programming that suits your own needs then just modify it slightly. Saves loads of time :D

Regards

Chris

Hex Spurt, Jun 26, 2004
  16. Ted

Ted

Just spoke to my dealer - he only has either the Marantz 1400 or the 5400. Will knock £50 off the 5400 when I said it was too much, but we're still talking £350....

Of course compared to the usual sums we're talking about, it's not bad for "hifi", but then again, it's just a remote!

Oh, I can't decide...........

Ted, Jun 26, 2004
  17. Ted

Hex Spurt

Ted, Vickers HiFi have the RC1200 on a special offer deal for £50. Here's the link http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk/retail/frameset.html :D

this from the Special offers page:
    carriage free England and Wales
    to order call... 01904-629659

NB. You must mention the website
    to obtain these special prices.
    ...anything else, let us quote you !

Hex

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
    Hex Spurt, Jun 26, 2004
  18. Ted

mattross

mattross, Jun 27, 2004
  19. Ted

The Oracle Village Idiot

The Oracle, Jun 27, 2004
  20. Ted

Ted

Thanks all - I've gone and bought the Maranzt 5400 - spent a while programming it and am quite pleased. Still not sure it's worth the money, but time will tell....

Ted, Jun 27, 2004
Ask a Question