Unwanted Mobile Calls

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Jul 16, 2004.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hi Guys

Most of you have mobiles I guess, so I'm hoping you might have a way of dealing with unwanted mobile calls.

I seem to be getting rather a lot of call's from "withheld number", now I don't answer these calls I just press "busy" and let it go to answer phone, if it was anyone important they'd leave a message so I know its companies that are calling.

I've registered my mobile number on the Telephone Preference system which is supposed to prevent this from happening.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set mobile up to "ignore" these calls, I used a Nokia 7250 if that helps.

I know could get a new Sim / Number but don't really want to do this unless there is no other way of dealing with these calls.

I would also like ot know where they got my number from as I don't give it our, nor is it listed on Orange, so someone has sold it. assholes.

Thanks

Lee

lhatkins, Jul 16, 2004
  2. lhatkins

Sgt Rock

I think the only way to get rid of the calls is call your telco and tell them to block withheld number.

Sgt Rock, Jul 16, 2004
  3. lhatkins

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Interesting you say that; I haven't registered my mobile but have never had a phone call from a company trying to sell me double glazing or the like. I get junk texts, but not phone calls.

I'm assuming the "number witheld" calls aren't from friends phoning from work, or who have set up their home phones to do this of course...

MartinC, Jul 16, 2004
  4. lhatkins

Saab

yep,this could well be friends and colleagues who have set their own phone not to transmit their number

also,switchboards sometimes won't transmit a number,so you could be missing business calls

Saab, Jul 16, 2004
  5. lhatkins

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, my mum has her number ex-directory and evertime she rings its normally number withheld...next time try answering it!!

mr cat, Jul 16, 2004
  6. lhatkins

Sgt Rock

Switchboards allways show the same number from different extensions.

Unless the extensions can be dialed direct where the last digits are the extension number.

Sgt Rock, Jul 16, 2004
  7. lhatkins

MartinC Trainee tea boy

It's very standard for large companies to withold numbers, otherwise the switchboard would get lots of people phoning back saying "someone tried to call me...", without the switchboard staff having the faintest idea who.

MartinC, Jul 16, 2004
  8. lhatkins

Hi, thanks guys, I am 99% certin that its not anyone i know, 1, they'd leave a message, and 2 they know my office and home numbers. Your right about switchboard, our one at works comes up as "witheld number" but again if it was someone I know they would contact me in other ways.

No I thought it might be possible to set up a profile on the phone to block out witheld calls (by turning the ringer off or turning the vibrating thing off) so that only numbers stored in my address book would make my phone ring. If I could do that, that would sort the problem out.

I have the same policy at home too, if the phone rings and its witheld, it doesn't get answered. Have done this for several years and never given me a problem, I like to know who I'm talking to Before I answer the phoen.

lhatkins, Jul 16, 2004
  9. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've never had this with my MObile, only the rare text. I'd try answering it just to check, then try contacting your network for a solution.

I never answer the house phone during the day. 1471 and if it's someone I know I'll call them back, or they'll try my MObile if I've not answered the house phone. We seem to get LOADS of calls. The worst are the ones where you answer, and a recorded message kicks in! This seems quite a new thing where either you're told to hold while an operative answers in a second (**** off!!!!) or given details of what a lucky git you are for being selected in a prize draw! But the worst is "consumer lifestyle survey"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if these are UK based, but you can't work out a word they say, they take about 10 attempts to say the name right! I always try to be polite and tell them I'm either busy, or not interested, thank you and goodbye. But they then launch into "No! It will only be a few min's! Don't go! NO NO NO!!!" I've one several occasions had to just talk over the top of them as they start asking regardless of me saying no! "I've been polite, I've said no, now goodbye"

Cold Calling, perhaps the single MOst annoying thing in the world!

MO!, Jul 16, 2004
  10. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Infact, I'm going to buy a new house phone which displays who the caller is (Like MObiles do) before answering, now!

MO!, Jul 16, 2004
  11. lhatkins

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Cold callers are not worthy of a polite response. Its a bloody intrusion of my privacy. As soon as they start I just reply ' not interested, goodbye'. I wish I had the gall to just say 'hang on whilst I get a pen' then fail to return to the phone.

Bob

Bob McC, Jul 16, 2004
  12. lhatkins

Lt Cdr Data om

I am in telephone preference, and mailing preference.

I still got a call, apparantly from the electoral register being public, and also, some building surveyor company.

the alleged source denied they gave my number away, after asking the caller.

I havne't read up on the stuff, how should I speak to someone who calls? to the manager? then report them? and who gave my no away?
    they do get apologetic when told tho'

TBH, I feel very strongly about this, details being passed everywhere, I think its should be law to ban this, and only have it if you wish to opt in, not the other way around.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 16, 2004
  13. lhatkins

Companies are supposed to abide by the Data Protection Law, but as the law are so dam complex its hard to know what "is" or "isn't" covered. But personally, I think cold calling and junk mail (both letter and email) should be totally BANNED with Jail being used as a punishment, these companies are scum and should be wiped out.

lhatkins, Jul 17, 2004
  14. lhatkins

Rory satisfied

you have to subscribe to Caller ID though as well MO. Which is around £4.99 a quarter and be aware that people who
    1) aren't in the phone book
    2) aren't with BT
    still won't have their numbers shown

Rory, Jul 17, 2004
  15. lhatkins

lordsummit moderate mod

I use caller ID and it's really useful. I've never had a phone call on my mobile that shouldn't have had access.

lordsummit, Jul 17, 2004
  16. lhatkins

analoguekid Planet Rush

I too don't answer withheld number calls as genuine callers (ie business call) will leave a message and then I can call them back. I also don't always answer the door, we seem to live in a society that has to answer the phone when it rings, how often have you had a conversation interupted when the other person stopped to answer the telephone, this happens a lot in shops and hotels, I always complain loudly when this happens and ask the person to put the caller on hold, once at a large london hotel I reached over and disconnected the call myself, and pointed out to the receptionist that it was rude to interupt my conversation and she could answer any calls when I was finished, she wouldn't have interupted me to talk to the person behind me so why do it for the phone, let it ring or get someone else to answer it.

With sales calls you suspect as coming from overseas (like BT do for example with their Indian call centres), my caller display come s up with international or out of area rather than withheld, if you suspect this kind of call then interupt them and ask if they are calling from mainland UK, they have to be honest, then get in touch with company and object.

analoguekid, Jul 18, 2004
  17. lhatkins

johnhunt recidivist

i don't get many unwanted call and therefore I answer the calls i get. It's part of my job after all. although i get an unsolicited text message every saturday pm telling me a pretty poor joke.

johnhunt, Jul 20, 2004
  18. lhatkins

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Some of those are from me, dude; our landline withholds numbers by default. I just ring your landline if I get the answerphone (or if it's after 7pm, of course, I'll use my mobile, as it's free).

But it's probably only a couple of calls; the others MAY be from people who have your number, OR, they may be from a "robot" that dials all the way up from 0700000000000 to 079999999999 - like that episode in the Simpsons with the autodialler :)

domfjbrown, Jul 20, 2004
  19. lhatkins

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Of course - the best response you can give is "I rent my place; can't do anything about your windows/doors/pain in the arse product/etc" and that usually does the trick. Or you could invite them round and then ensure you're out - the ultimate timewaste tactic. Of course, if it's some fly by night company, the person coming round might work on commission, and get very arsey...

Caller ID works cross-network - at least on Eurobell (when the cucking funts don't turn it off by accident); it's worth its weight in gold if you ask me - I've been using it for 5 years. In my old flat I kept getting "Out of area" or "Witheld number" about 4 times a day - including in the middle of the night. EVERY TIME I answered the line would go dead; I suspect it was a robot trying to get a modem on the other end of the line...

Is there a number you can dial that will disable witheld numbers - just for that one call - so I can still ring LHAtkins from the landline, and it show my number?

domfjbrown, Jul 20, 2004
  20. lhatkins

skp574

Here's a solution that could work... only on the BT network though

Get your telephone number ex-directory and witheld so you shouldn't be pestered by cold callers looking in telephone directories. If you wish to call out to people who have mobiles and caller ID units and they want to see who is calling them do the following... You dial 1470 before the main telephone number. That prefix code temporarily gives out CLI (Caller Line ID) to the recipient, so they know you are calling them.

This is the solution for PAYG dial-up ISPs who require your caller ID in order to connect.

I have an NTL line and it doens't work AFAIK. Dialing 17070 on a BT line gives a whole load of options (only really should be used by engineers ;) ), such as callback so you can test to see if your phone rings ok. Useful for testing secondary extension sockets.

HTH

skp574, Jul 20, 2004
Ask a Question