Up-grade time (I think)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oldfella, Oct 4, 2010.

1. oldfella

oldfella

Hi there
    My original system was based on the Arcam Alpha9 Power/pre amp. Alpha 9 CD player, Alpha 7 Tuner, Ruark Talisman I speakers, Rega 3 turntable and various odds and s*ds for AV and Dab.
    Now however for reason of re-claiming floor space (Guess who wanted it back?) I have replaced all the separates with The Arcam Solo 5-1 system which has pleased my good lady but left me with a slight problem in that the system now sounds just a bit too relaxed compared with the original configuration.
    My opinion is the Ruarks are the main issue here so I'm looking for some general advice for livening up the system and also for speaker suggestions to include a "matched " centre speaker for AV replay.
    My main attraction is sound quality music taste is Simply Red, Phil Collins, Eagles etc the AV bit being secondary.
    Suggestions and ideas welcome.

Roger :confused:

oldfella, Oct 4, 2010
  2. oldfella

ossy

The ruarks imo are not the problem here (I have talismans II's) - the ruarks are hugely underrated, i've been trying unsuccessfully to replace them for the last 3 years but have come to the conclusion that they are extremely good indeed and I am now satisfied!! If you are going to replace them make sure that it's an upgrade rather than a replacement for replacements sake.

If you've replaced other bits then surely it's the new solo which lacks bite?

As for a center, try adding a decent sub.

ossy, Oct 4, 2010
  3. oldfella

oldfella

Hi ossy
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Certainly one of the thoughts I had was to consider an u/g to Tallisman II's but as yet I haven't met anybody that has gone through that process to determine the overall benefits. Reviews I have read on the II's seem to suggest that they were more involving that the originals.
    The other point of course is what level of general "wear & tear" the drive units etc have suffered over the 20 years I've owned them and whether an upgrade would bring them back on song.
    Roiger

oldfella, Oct 4, 2010
  4. oldfella

Jimbo

If you do go for a speaker upgrade then the best option is try at home first with your system. Only you can determine whether they are an improvement and not rely on peoples choice. Speakers imo are the biggest factor to consider for the room they go in. Jim.

Jimbo, Oct 4, 2010
  5. oldfella

UK Duty Paid

Jordan JX92 - make cabinets or get the cabinets made for you. Huge variety of enclosures but a simple 6 litre sealed box is excellent.

Wilmslow Audio now sell these

toe in angled right & you won't need the centre speaker

No crossover these are "full range"

UK Duty Paid, Oct 10, 2010
Ask a Question