Update your anti-virus & scumware proge.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by auric, Dec 17, 2003.

1. auric

auric FOSS

Over the past few days the following vendors have released patches to their free anti-virus offerings

Lava Soft - Ad-ware;
    Spybot - Search & Destroy;
    Grisoft - AVG.

So, keep upto date and have a happy bug free holiday.

Funny but nothing from Microsoft for my XP Pro machine. . .

Auric:)

auric, Dec 17, 2003
  2. auric

Sgt Rock

No Norton AV update yet, so we must be safe :D

Sgt Rock, Dec 17, 2003
  3. auric

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I don't worry about these types of things :MILD:

garyi, Dec 17, 2003
  4. auric

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Got a new menace in my email yesterday :rolleyes:

Something like 'YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE' or words to that effect.

I don't have a PayPal account so I knew straight away it was a virus, but what is worrying is that for once the email content has been written by someone who speaks English. There are no obvious errors or exaggerations or capital letters. Unlike most other viruses, it was also addressed directly to me so ended up in my inbox rather than my junk folder. The attachment is disguised as a screen saver file. I suspect that a lot of PayPal users will fall for it though.

technobear, Dec 18, 2003
  5. auric

michaelab desafinado

Any PayPal user who does fall for it is a complete knob :rolleyes: They remind you sooooo often never to give your details out and that only addresses starting https://www.paypal.com/ are valid ones.

Started getting a new form of spam since yesterday. It was advertising "free cable TV" :confused: but it's "spamness" was disguised by a large chunk of random words in the e-mail, presumably to fool some of the rule based spam filters.

My e-mail service (www.fastmail.fm) uses SpamAssassin which is easily the best spam filter I know of but so far it was fooled by these new e-mails. Fortunately it "learns" very quickly and I'd be surprised if I get many more :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 18, 2003
  6. auric

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I had the paypal one a few days back. I've also not got a paypal account! I had a smilar one from hotmail a while back, saying that they were clearing out unused acounts and therefore needed to confirm who was still using their acount. They of course needed all my details (including password) for this!

Forwarded it to hotmail who since took action :D

I tend to forward false and suspicious emails to the advertised companies genuine customer services. Infact, I recieved an email the other day in response to something I forwarded MOnths back! Apparently police action is being taken! :D

MO!, Dec 18, 2003
  7. auric

Robbo

I have had this one a couple of times over the last few weeks. Like you I dont have a paypal account so I knew something was suspicious. Norton picked it up both times.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Dec 19, 2003
  8. auric

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I got one of them too – I don't use MS Outlook, so I am immune to anything unless I am insane enough to run an attachment manually, which I'm not! I sent the offending email with it's attachment and all headers on to [email protected] to make sure they are aware of it.

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 19, 2003
  9. auric

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

I got a Paypal e-mail too, and the *only* thing that seems to be amiss is the expiration date of 1006! I do have an account, and everything else was good, including the url which actually went to https://www.paypal.com; even the e-mail ID was good.

I didn't do anything, but it really was Paypal! Might just bee good timing on the part of the scammers.

~ ~ Dave

Nepherim, Dec 20, 2003
Ask a Question