Upgrade choice for Bel Canto REF1000s: biamp or power conditioning?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dami0n, Jun 17, 2007.

1. dami0n

dami0n

I have a pair of Bel Canto REF1000s driving B&W 803Ds, source is a Resolution Audio Opus 21 cd player. I want to get the best of the Bel Cantos. I was thinking either get another pair and biamp my 803Ds or alternatively purchase an Isotek Sigmas power conditioner.

I can't home demo a biamp setup as there are no Bel Canto dealers in Ireland yet so I would have to buy "blind" from the UK.

Which do you think would be the best upgrade for my system, biamp with Bel Cantos or Isotek power conditioning?

dami0n, Jun 17, 2007
  2. dami0n

Mr_Sukebe

Have you verified the quality of the pre-amp in the Opus CD21?
    Pre-amps seem to be a lot more important that we tend to give them credit for. Might be worth checking out other peoples thoughts on that area. Sorry, can't help on how good the CD21 is.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 17, 2007
  3. dami0n

zanash

Power condition is a suck it and see as it depends totally on the quality of the mains in your location.....so and advice is a guess!

borrow a unit in try it ! I'd go isolation rather than filtering ...but thats just my preference.

biamping is only going to give you more of what you have ...sort of a richer taste in the cooking analogy.

zanash, Jun 18, 2007
  4. dami0n

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Get a pair of 802's or 800d's if you can afford them. Best conventional speaker I have owned .Or if you really want to upgrade amplification buy my ASR Emitter ( sorry about the shameless plug ) but the advice still stands! Keith.

Purite Audio, Jun 18, 2007
  5. dami0n

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

also consider going active, and, no need for such a powerful amp for mid and treble duties.

**edit**
    also, make sure you can independantly adjust the volume on each power amp so that you can level match them.

bottleneck, Jun 18, 2007
  6. dami0n

indolent

I've heard the 1000ASPs driving 800Ds with no problems what so ever. So it may be worth looking at the pre as mr Sukebe says. The Pre function in the Opus is good but isnt up to the quality of the rest of your components.

The 1000s like a very good power cord. This has improved the sound quality from mine no end so worth consideration.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
    indolent, Jun 18, 2007
  7. dami0n

dami0n

If I was going the power conditioning / isolation route. My options would either be the Isotek Sigmas, or the Nordost Thor. Does anybody have any experiences with either of these components? If so how do they compare?

dami0n, Jun 18, 2007
  8. dami0n

Joe

I treid the Nordost Thor for a couple of weeks. Couldn't hear any difference over a standard distribution block, to be honest.

Joe, Jun 18, 2007
Ask a Question