upgrade from Eikos /argo/ hera / GTE-A400

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by grog, Feb 4, 2010.

1. grog

grog

I've been pondering an upgrade off ond on now for ages.
    so i'm looking to your collective knowledge for some reccomendations.

the system is in the bedroom and is the main stereo system (i've got surround sound downstairs)
    but additionally it is used as the sound for the tv (projector)

the system is currently

Acoustic Precision Eikos CD player
    Technics SP10IIBBC TT with SME series 3 ortofon VMS20Emk2
    Michell Argo / Hera pre amp
    hugely modified Pioneer A400 (converted to power amp, with GTE modification and many further mods by Tom Evans)
    Veritas 40 transmission line speakers

I don't think I'll ever part with the CD player or speakers, they are both totally stunning, to be honest the system sounds great but I want to improve it and feel that the amplification may be the way to go.

I also use a yamaha DSP E800 home cinema add on to switch the video and sound for the TV/DVD.

it would be great if the pre amp was remote control but i guess i could cope without.

does anyone have any reccomendations for a shortlist?
    i would be buying secondhand and as such it's hard to caompare lots of different amps.
    i've always wondered about the old school krell and suchlike but never tried one.
    I guess as most of the kit was designed / modded by tom evans i should get a Vibe and Linear A but if i did that i'd be living on bread and water for the next 100 years!

grog, Feb 4, 2010
  2. grog

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Gog,

One option is to look at the amps. A suggestion is to look at the old Michell Orca pre and Alecto power amps.

The early Alectos were designed by Tom Evans. I have used a Alecto stereo amp before and it had power, detail and clarity which made the music engaging.

These do crop up 2nd hand, the Orca's are less common. The Orca does have a remote control.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 4, 2010
  3. grog

grog

Thats tempting, i've been keeping an eye on secondhand alecto prices for a while, and they do seem to hold their value well.
    the orca i haven't seen for sale before but i'll keep my eyes peeled.

grog, Feb 4, 2010
  4. grog

Werner

The Graham Fowler-designed Orca is vastly better than the Argo or Argo HR. The Alecto MkIIs are also better than the older versions.

What phonostage do you use?

Werner, Feb 5, 2010
  5. grog

vincula

vincula, Feb 5, 2010
  6. grog

kt66

you need valves :D

kt66, Feb 7, 2010
Ask a Question