Upgrade from Linn Axis?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jaques Liverot, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jaques Liverot

Jaques Liverot

Hello all!

I've got my 40th birthday approaching and thought I'd treat myself to a turntable upgrade whilst my ears are still working properly and I can get the benefit from it.

I have a later (with Akito) Linn Axis that I've owned since new, but am looking for something that's less woolly in the bass. I always had in mind that I'd get an LP12 when funds permitted (and I could use the Akito), and that's still an option, but the LP12 seems to divide opinion and appears to be over-priced secondhand compared with other turntables.

What should I consider that will give me a worthwhile improvement and would cost in the region of £1000 secondhand? And where should I get it from?

Presumably you could easily better a 20-year old £400 CD player with a new one costing considerably less, but I suspect that turntables have improved to a lesser degree. Would something like a Clearaudio Emotion be any sort of improvement?

Jaques Liverot, Jan 27, 2009
  2. Jaques Liverot

johnandchris

The AXIS shouldnt be woolly in the bass. Try an upgraded tonearm cable first.
    Just my two penneth worth

johnandchris, Jan 27, 2009
  3. Jaques Liverot

Jaques Liverot

Thanks. Maybe "woolly" isn't quite the right word, but the bass is certainly its area of weakness and a bit more definition wouldn't go amiss.

Are there kits available for re-wiring an Akito, like the Origin Live ones for Rega arms, or do I just get some wire and start soldering?

Are there any other tweaks I could try?

Jaques Liverot, Jan 28, 2009
  4. Jaques Liverot

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

Hi Jaques,

I'm using the Michell Tecnoarm and I found it a very good arm for the price , about 430£GBP at Stone Audio and I think changing with your Akito should be a great improvment for a reasonable price

[​IMG]

Arlequen, Jan 28, 2009
  5. Jaques Liverot

Papa Lazarou

I'd look for a secondhand Gyrodec or Spacedeck if you want something modern.

Alternatively, if you can find one, the Voyds are rather good. Since Linns are your cuppa tea the LP12 is another choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    Papa Lazarou, Jan 28, 2009
  6. Jaques Liverot

kt66

keep the Akito - and get a valhalla'd, cirkus'd LP12 without arm for £500 ish - and you should be able to get £100 or more for the axis.

Or get LP12 with Ittok and sell yours for £200-300.

kt66, Jan 28, 2009
  7. Jaques Liverot

Jaques Liverot

Thanks for the advice so far.

Where is a good place to look for secondhand turntables? I've only really looked in Ebay so far, where you don't seem to be able to get any sort of LP12 for £500, yet alone one that's been upgraded in the last 25 years!

Jaques Liverot, Jan 28, 2009
  8. Jaques Liverot

murray johnson

murray johnson, Jan 28, 2009
  9. Jaques Liverot

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Thats a lovely thing. Buy it Jacques!

...just don't get caned on an arm.

I bought an STD305m on here as its just a lovely thing too... I can't afford an arm for it just now, but I'm happy to wait, and erm, dust it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    SMEagol, Jan 28, 2009
  10. Jaques Liverot

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Just a couple of points:

You won't be able to fit a Rega (or Technoarm or similar) to your Axis as the Axis does not have a seperate armboard and the mounting method and geometry of the Rega based arms is not the same as the Linn.

Don't upgrade the arm on the Axis - selling it as it is will be much easier and there is little to be gained from improving the arm on this deck (as well as being difficult to do),

The Michell decks are good value and even more so secon hand - the suggestion of a Voyd is a good one (though may be an issue if the PSU goes faulty) - or a PT2 or similar (Nottingham Analogue perhaps) - Roksan.

YNMOAN, Jan 29, 2009
  11. Jaques Liverot

Rocket 88

I advise you to consider a secondhand Townsend Rock..around £395 on Ebay (and sell the Linn). For the arm I use an Ittock on my Cranfield Rock (a good match) and I've had a Mission774SM on an Elite/Townsend Rock. You can get an Audio Technica OC9 for £275 (widely considered a great match for the Ittock - which I can confirm from experience). Rock - Ittock - AtOC9...thats a great front end for a grand..
    Hope that some help

Rocket 88, Mar 29, 2009
  12. Jaques Liverot

white-socks

Maybe try the Thorens decks, they are absolutely beautiful.
    I have a TD160B MK2 with a Rega RB250 arm which I love to bits.
    This Thorens puts my Michell Syncro (With upgraded Mycro platter) to shame, the Thorens has much better soundstage, Depth and detail.

Soon me and my father will be selling the Syncro. If anyone is interested please ask us.

white-socks, Apr 7, 2009
  13. Jaques Liverot

Werner

Mmm. Makes one wonder what may be wrong with that Syncro...

Werner, Apr 8, 2009
  14. Jaques Liverot

white-socks

Well the syncro was properly set up.

white-socks, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question