upgrade/mod recommendation for Michell Focus S please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dominicT, Jul 27, 2008.

1. dominicT

dominicT former member

Hi guys

I don't know how many of you remember the Michell Focus S? Its a cross between the Focus and Girodeck with Girodeck platter and bearing etc. I bought it new in 1984 and had a Linn LV V arm with Osawa ( detachable) headshell fitted. I have just fitted a Dynavector karat 17D (current model). I am using a MF XLPS. The rest of my system is: Audio Research LS25, Audio Research VS115, Wilson Benesch Curves, Transparent cabling throughout (thanks to KJ West One) and custom Hutter racks (Thanks to Phonography).

Theoretically the Linn arm can easily be bettered due to its detachable headshell however....I have been comparing it with a Wilson Benesch Circle and a Thorens TD160HD/TP250. I much prefer my deck to the WB in that the WB has no life and is very controlled, dull, dull, dull, but competent. The Thorens I much prefer to the WB but its not better than the Focus S in all areas. On balance then I want to keep and upgrade my S; the question is what to do. (I like the life and immediacy that my S has and don't want to lose this)

I am very happy with the sound, especially the tonality of it. The bass could be tightened up a bit (compared to the Thorens) and Uncle Ants has previously mentioned the Michell Tender feet and this seems sensible.

For a budget of £500 what else should I do? I will not be in a position to audition anything as I am no longer based in the UK so will need to buy purely on recommendations. Should I keep the arm and get a better phono pre? Or get a better arm eg Michell Techno arm or OL modded RB250? Or any other ideas other than to sell the deck and get something else.

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
    dominicT, Jul 27, 2008
  2. dominicT

Mark P

I'd suggest going up to a Michell Technoarm or OL250. Or, pick up a 2nd hand 250 and have it modified by Johnny at Audio Origami. It may be worth asking Johnny what he could do to the Linn LV V.

Live with it for a bit before changing anything else. I'd suggest that the Dynavector will give much more in a better arm. I remember the difference between the Linn LV V and LV X back in 1984. My OL 250 with a special heavy weight made by AO is streets ahead of the Linn's.

Mark P, Jul 27, 2008
  3. dominicT

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

You need to be a little bit careful with an RB250 on a standard Focus One as the platter is quite low and the RB250 rides a bit too high at the back. This may not apply to the S version though.

Uncle Ants, Jul 28, 2008
  4. dominicT

dominicT former member

Thanks both for the thoughts. Never heard of audio origami so I will ge in touch with them.

The platter is the original Girodeck platter so is a little thicker than the Focus One platter. I had to fit spacers to my Rega Elys cartridge as it was so low profile so maybe if I do change the arm then I could consider spacers to 'lower' the height of the deck?

Am so impressed with the S now that it has the Karat 17D, huge upgrade over the Rega Elys.

dominicT, Jul 28, 2008
  5. dominicT

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

You could be okay as we are only talking 3 or 4mm with the standard platter. Just make sure the arm board isn't too thick. Spacers on the cart will work, or an extra mat or what I did was actually raise the platter bearing with a spare Linn armboard I had for it.

Uncle Ants, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question