Upgrade or downsize..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hsam, May 13, 2010.

1. hsam

hsam

Hi guys!

Im thinking of buying a pair of Dynaudio confidence 5 speakers.Since i miss abit of attact in my Martin logan vantage.
    I do like the vantage,but they seems to still have that (you must sit here to get the 3D sound)Use to have the areius i and odysse also.

Would it be a downsizeing???
    I know the Dynaudios are pretty hard to drive 83-84dB.

Help

hsam, May 13, 2010
  2. hsam

Neil

If your amplifier is man enough then give the dynaudios a go - they like some current up 'em but the results are worth it! I've a foccus kit from early 2000 (basically a contour 1.2 front ported) which I've not sold despite using Merlin VSMs for the majority of the time.....

Neil, May 13, 2010
  3. hsam

Mr_Sukebe

What about getting an amp that better matches your MLs?
    First time I heard a pair of MLs, I really wasn't that impressed. At the time they were being driven by a Quad power amp. Second time round (same speakers) and they were being driven by some EL34 valve amps. The differences were huge. Massively better. Not that it would solve the issue about where you sit, but might help with the "bite".

Mr_Sukebe, May 14, 2010
  4. hsam

hsam

Hey!
    Sofar i have used Rouge audio M150 mono's.Arcam p1 mono's and Mark levinson no29.
    At the momment they are hook up with a TacT millinium mk4.

hsam, May 14, 2010
  5. hsam

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

Never liked Dynaudio. To my ear they have fundamental problems with microdynamics. I guess it is due to their low sensivity and drivers. And they need some pretty powerful amps, which typically have the same problem. Having ventured into high power/high current territory with Brystons, Levinsons, and finally ASR Emitter it took me some time to realise that attack or "bite" and high power do not nesessary come together. More often it's just the opposite - amps with huge power reserves are unable to reproduce it properly. Just as low sensitivity speakers. I agree that it is well worth trying good valves with ML.

Nomoretweaks, May 16, 2010
  6. hsam

hsam

Hi!
    I did try valves Rouge audio M150 mono's, 8x et88 total.The sound was way to soft and laid back.
    Maybe a mcintosh or AR will do?

hsam, May 16, 2010
  7. hsam

elis

As far as speakers are concerned it's truly kind of a mistery. Sensitivity of a speaker on its own does not represent a criterion for the sound quality the speaker can produce. However, if "bite", speed, and dynamics are priorities one almost inevitably ends up with high sensitivity speakers. I'm not so sure about amps. :JOEL:

elis, May 16, 2010
Ask a Question