Upgrade path suggestions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gulliver, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Gulliver

Gulliver

Have only bought my firsturntable this year and want to improve on the sound I get.

I've got a Project Expression Mk1 with an old Phono stage, Cambridge A5 amp and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers.

CD replay is Ok, but I want to get more form the turntable.

DIY isn't a realistic approach for me, so I'd be grateful for your thoughts on improving 1) phono stage, 2) Cartidge, 3) Whether it's worth bulying a speed box; and finally if anyone has experience of the PMC DB1+?

Many thanks in advance, this is my first post and I'm aware my kit isn't as esoteric as some. Any changes will have to be incremental over a period of time. With limited means.

Gulliver, Oct 5, 2006
  2. Gulliver

Tenson Moderator

Don't know much about turntables, but the PMC standmount range is superb. I had a pair of AML1’s for a few years which really kicked arse and show what PMC can do if they want to.

Tenson, Oct 5, 2006
  3. Gulliver

Baudrillard

I once swapped a pair of TB2s for DB1's (the floorstander version) based on good reviews and because I thought they'd better match a small room.

But it didn't take long to realise my mistake. They just weren't as open, communicative and dynamic as the bigger drive units of the TB2s. I also think a good standmount and stand can have the edge over a floorstander, especially at the cheaper end- you hear less speaker. Go for as bigger size bass driver as your room will allow.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
    Baudrillard, Oct 5, 2006
  4. Gulliver

Coda II getting there slowly

Ummm... floorstanding DB1 is GB1

To me the GB1 sounds like it gives more bass - but I much prefer the DB1 to live with.

the '+' versions have the upgraded tweeter, the original can display a little hardness when pushed, from memory the upgrade is around £200.

Last year I went for a complete change of turntable from budget to, um, not really budget because I wanted the difference to major rather than incremental. Prior to that, adding a Slee phono stage for under £100 had also been a real step forward.

Coda II, Oct 5, 2006
  5. Gulliver

zanash

well if you want more from tt spend your money there !!!

give uncle ants a pm and see what he has to say .....

but for me a better phono stage and or new cart seems the way to go from your initial post

zanash, Oct 5, 2006
  6. Gulliver

hifi addict

I think Zanash is quite right. Get the right cartidge and phono stage and that will improve things a lot, then you can always use the phono and cartridge on other decks at a later stage.

I like high mass decks but they are more expensive and I am too lazy to fart about with trying to get the deck to bounce right.

So a good deck to go for is the funk firm turntable ultra light easy to set up and has a lot of qualities of a high mass deck

always listen to the kit before you buy. Don't buy because a review says you should. Hifi is extreemly subjective and dependent on a milllion other things, i.e. mood, room, cables blah blah blah the list goes on.

thanks for turning up

hifi addict, Oct 5, 2006
  7. Gulliver

lordsummit moderate mod

Strikes me you could spend your money in several ways, but I'd start this way:
    Denon DL160, a better phono stage, Trichord Dino? then better amp and speakers to make use of the better signal.

lordsummit, Oct 5, 2006
  8. Gulliver

nando nando

Upgrade

HI A SPEED BOX DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE, however , the pmc db1 are very nice , mid tops, to me bass is too much for the enclousere but is just my view having them here, what i compared them with believe it or not were a pair of castle richmond 3i bookshelf, my coments are the castles are super all round, i have a spped box spare for sale £20.00 should be ok.regards nando.

nando, Oct 5, 2006
  9. Gulliver

Gulliver

Thanks people, I'm going to try out the speed box Nando has offered to sell.

Probably look at phono stage in new year and speakers as and when finances allow in future.

You've given me plenty of food for thought.

Gulliver, Oct 9, 2006
  10. Gulliver

Gulliver

Thanks Nando.

Got the speed box and the results are instant.

Funny when I've improved my second hand and bargain basement equipment. I don't seem able to explain how the sound has improved, just that it's improved.

But trying anyway...it seems like an extra layer of fuzziness has been taken away and I'm just getting coser to a clearer sound.

Instruments languishing in the background are coming more to the fore and Kate Bush's voice sounds even more beguiling on the tracks I'll always put on first, when comparing new changes.

I'm delighted, thanks and will consider a cartidge change in the near future!

I'm starting to think I can't afford not to upgrade.

Gulliver, Oct 19, 2006
Ask a Question