upgrade poweramp&speakers or add sub?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ditton

John East

Linn Akurate 242

I must say that I don't find any bass bloat or bloom with the 242s. I used to have Ninkas, driven in Activ mode with three Klouts and was very impressed with the 242s, in the shop and auditioned in my listening room, which is a dedicated room, but only about 16' x 12'. I was concerned that the rear ports might excite room nodes, but they don't. The sound is very clean, detailed and goes deeper than the spec suggests. I now run them totally activ, with the three Klouts (mono boards for the 242s are available, by the way) and a four channel Chakra 4100 for the tweeter and super tweeter and the sound is breathtaking. They go much deeper activ - down to 40 Hz minus 3db -which is the bottom note on a bass and low enough for me. Subjectively, they seem to go a lot lower than that. And without bloat or overhang.

Music is my main focus, but movies with low bass shake the room, so I'm satisfied. An excellent speaker, but do audition them activ. The improvement is massive.

For me, all things being a compromise, this is about as good as it gets!

John East, Aug 20, 2006
  2. ditton

melorib Lowrider

I agree except for the EQ part, I tried EQ with TAG DP TMREQ and Krell Showcase equalization, it seemed better for a while, but in the end music lost some inpact, too lean, I think I am used to some boom, but all my guests also preferred without EQ... :rolleyes:

As you can see I use subwoofers in both my systems, Riga's is only stereo...

Anyway, playing with location of both speakers and subwoofer, (2 is ideal), plus the xover, 100 hz in my Cascais system resolved most ressonance problems...

melorib, Aug 21, 2006
  3. ditton

sastusbulbas

I always thought that stand mounts , subwoofers and floorstanders all had equal amounts of set up problems.

Regarding small speakers and bass performance. My own Linn Kan MkII are hooked up to a large Technics SU-MA10 amplifier, I get better bass performance when I use Classe amplification, and even better bass performance when I use Krell amplification.

So I guess amplification also plays a big part in bass performance.

I also agree with Wadia meister, and his views on subs versus a properly integrated speaker and system.

sastusbulbas, Aug 21, 2006
  4. ditton

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I use a Revel B15a, which is similar to a large velodyne in many ways.

I just use a £5 5 metre lead I bought from Maplins.

I use the high pass crossover, so the whole signal goes through it.

Sounds great to me.

bottleneck, Aug 21, 2006
  5. ditton

mr cat Member of the month

cheers - I must have posted that some time ago!

anyway, I'm using some QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable whilst using my Nads - agin, that sounds great! :D

mr cat, Aug 21, 2006
Ask a Question