Upgrade suggestions.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jebustheone, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jebustheone

jebustheone

Hi guys I was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm not as Hi Fi savvy as I used to be; I just don't have the time to research any more.

I was wondering if any of you could make any suggestions for budget improvements to my Hi Fi system. The sort of improvements I'm looking for are ones that cost a little, but have an amazing impact on performance.

I have at the most about a grand (GBP) to upgrade my whole system, but would prefer to have enough money for me and the missus to eat for the rest of the month :)

The reason for the upgrade is that I've just got a new flat, and my new living room is amazingly perfect size for listening. I even have a panoramic sea view now :)

(please don't laugh, I've never had much money)

Cambridge Audio DVD77

Two Rotel RA-314s (both about 40 yrs old lmao)

One Pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ (the floorstanders)

A pair of Eltax Liberty 3+ (the bigger books shelves)

Profigold interconnects

Some old Linn cable.

So.. The Camb is my cd player as well as my movie player. My rotels each have a pair of bi-wired speakers each. The bookshelves are stacked on top of the floor standers. My system is a cheap mess :)

I'm especially
    looking to replace my old amps, as well as get some new speakers. The speakers have to have a LOT of grunt in the lower ends; I listen to bassy music, and use them for films to. It would be difficult to integrate a sub into my system atm. Although they need grunt, I would like them to not sound like crap, if you know what I mean. Something along the lines of B&W, Kef etc.

If you're wondering
    why I have the bookshelves on top of the floor standers then this is why: I wanted to try some quadro DD surround, but was unimpressed, and it kind of annoyed me, so I decided to stick with stereo for films and games etc.

The amps
    are strange. They are both very old, and VERY temperamental (they have a mind of their own) and sound completely different in every way possible. This is strange considering how that they are the same make/model.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help from you guys :p

jebustheone, Mar 22, 2008
  2. jebustheone

mikedefacto

Sorry but I just can't see past the bold type... wasn't aware this was a newspaper

mikedefacto, Mar 22, 2008
  3. jebustheone

DavidF

Well if it was me I'd make a bee line for a dedicated (+hot!) cd player. With every respect I think a cd player should offer a sonic improvement over your DVD player.

Many are turning to squeeze boxes here, so that maybe an option for you to consider.

If it was me though, I'd look on e bay; there some very nice cd players coming on the market.

Thats a starting suggestion.

Anyone else?

Welcome btw

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
    DavidF, Mar 22, 2008
  4. jebustheone

DavidF

:D

I thought it made the text very easy to read!

DavidF, Mar 22, 2008
  5. jebustheone

DavidF

JBT,

"The bookshelves are stacked on top of the floor standers. My system is a cheap mess "

IME set up is half the battle to sonic improvements!

I'm sure you have thought about speaker +listening distances etc etc?

I felt compelled to mention this 'cos this some thing you can do FOC!!

ie nil ££!

DavidF, Mar 22, 2008
  6. jebustheone

Tenson Moderator

Its hard to say where to start because, to be honest, all of it could do with a little updating. First and foremost get some better speakers. Of all the parts in hi-fi speakers make the most difference.

PMC have some serious gunt, and sound good in the rest of the range too. Keep a an eye open for a pair of FB1. They will suit you down to the ground. You should secure a second hand pair for £750 if you can bargain hard! (I never can!) There are a few pairs on hififorsale.com

Now the next step is either your CD player or amps. I'd say the CD player, but the way you describe two supposedly identical amps sounding different suggests they are rather knackered. So if thats really the case, I'd get a new amp with what you have left. You can get a Cyrus 3 (don't get 3i) for around £150 and its superb. The FB1 like a bit of power so I'd probably actualy get a pre / power combo because that would enable you to get a real bargain pro studio amp. So if it were me I'd search out a Promethus TVC pre-amp second hand (again one on hififorsale.com) probably get that for under £150. Then get an Alesis RA500 power-amp for another £150.

So whats that... we have spent £300 on a pre-power combo with loads of quality power on tap, and £750 on a pair of awesome speakers.

If thats a bit tight, then just get the speakers and upgrade the rest when budget allows. You may not even feel like it at that point because a quality pair of speakers will undoubtedly give the rest of your kit a new lease of life.

Hope that helps!

Tenson, Mar 23, 2008
  7. jebustheone

banpe2006

im picking up a pair of fb1s in the next week from Dover of all places....i purchased them blind a month ago and havent been able to collect as yet due to work....They will be in the west mids by thursday i guess....(one owner from new)...I have no idea what they sound like, but reports are overall very good. However, should they not suit, I will have a pair going and would look to sell for £675 , which is what I paid for them. The trouble is, Ive seen a pair of their bigger brothers at a price I cant refuse (£1300 ob 1 s) and may buy these and compare the 2 before selling one pair..I will know more in a week or so...andy

banpe2006, Mar 23, 2008
  8. jebustheone

banpe2006

Ive seen a pair of avi monoblocks on ebay for £350...I have used these amps for over 8 years now, and can safely say, they are real money beaters! they were 1400 new in the early 90s and are incredibly musical. An absolute steal.. Ive compared mine to many "better" amps, but I just dont get the same emotion or enjoyment i get when listening to the avi.....They are fast and very good in bass and vocals. I use a valve amp into them, but have used a reasonably cheap Sony cdp xb 930e into them which had its own digital vol control and the sound was very good. These sell for about £80....and were 350 new....so for amp and cd player, youre looking at just over 400....this is an incredible price for the sound you get...there is also the alpha arcam 7 which was supposed to be very good......dont know if it has digi control......or an old meridian 206 etc

banpe2006, Mar 23, 2008
  9. jebustheone

jebustheone

I did it like that because it makes it easier for people to read. It also makes people less stressed over reading long bits of text. Para-spacing also helps. If it annoys you, I won't do it :MILD:

I've decided to get some B&W cm7s, someone close has offered them to me for 450, which is pretty good for me. OTOH, the 28 response on those PBC is a dream for me. Thats pretty amazing in my eyes.

The pre/power combo sounds like a win, but it is really worth the extra $$$ to get monoblocks vs stereo? I'm not convinced about the monoblock/$$$ advantage.

Yeah, my amps are knackered. They are both more than 40 years old. I'ts a bit love/hate with them. They are really beefy (60wpc), but one pair is warm, the other is flat and boring, probably something wrong with this pair.

Yes I have thought about listening and positioning etc. I've got a 1.5/1 factor room, and my equaliteral triangle set-up is on the 1.5 side. Speakers about 30 cm away from wall, on spikes off floor some tweeters at ear level, etc. It's set up as good as it gets I think. I just got some speaker stands out, and now the book shelves are about 60cm to the outside of the floorstanders; which so far sounds better, although the plate is a bit small, i don't want them to fall off lmao.

I looked at the FB1, and couldn't find one under a grand, or close enough to collect. I looked at the specs on the net and saw the bottom end response: 28hz!! :O (probably due to the transmission maze venting)

By the way, I'm really not at all bothered about size. I prefer a well built box anyway :) My favourite style is the plain audiolab style
    :O

Why do the RA500s have knobs on the front? I thought it's supposed to be a power amp? I'm considering saving for an audiolab/monoblock amp combo. It'll cost me, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Do they even sell those any more:confused:

Thanks for your help so far. It's MUCH appreciated :)

jebustheone, Mar 23, 2008
  10. jebustheone

Tenson Moderator

Hi,

Frankly, if you can do it without pissing off your friend, I would hold out for a pair of FB1. IMO B&W are a bit whussy! Andy's offer sounds good, and he will more than likely be selling them when he hears the OB1 ;)

You won't find FB1 for under a grand new, but there are a fair few around second hand.

http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/home.asp This is a good site for s/h gear.

The RA500 has knobs on the front just for gain adjustment. They aren't really meant to be volume controls. Say you wanted to integrate it with another amp in an active set-up then the might help. You can easily bypass them if you have a soldering iron and a bit of wire!

With 150watts per side, it makes your 'powerful' Audiolab seem quite weak ;) I wonder where Ditton is, I sold him my pair a while ago.

Not much advantage in going for a monoblock option. Not at this level, or unless you want even more power. How about two RA500, one a side, to give 500watts per channel?

By the way, when you want to look at upgrading the DVD player it would probably be cost effective to get a DAC. This can take the digital output from the DVD player and it does the conversion to analog, making it sound far better. There are a number of affordable options around. Of course the one I sell, a highly modified Behringer SRC is the best, for £285. http://www.audiosmile.com/src2496.htm :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
    Tenson, Mar 23, 2008
  11. jebustheone

jebustheone

Hahaha!! an RA500 a side sounds like a laugh all right, but not for me :)
    The reviews are pretty good, so I better look for a preamp now. How tall in CM is 3U? I don't have one of those types of racks so i can't measure it. Iv'e seen the Ra500 on that website, but Id rather get it new for 180 and get the warranty:
    http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=764

BTW I know what a DAC is!! I used to have a black box, but sold it about two years ago because i needed the $$$. I'd rather have a Hifi DAC then paying a premium for that DAC/ADC linked.

Does the RA500 have an xlr or rca connection, I might have to look into more cables.
    Could you recommended an easier to find preamp?

I was going to upgrade my DVD player, but am very wary in this aspect. I don't want a separate cd/dvd (I can just use a DAC, and it'll be fine), but DVD players are advancing so fast now, with hdmi, upscaling etc that I'm just not sure.
    I was thinking about waiting it out and getting a BDRplayer, but this wouldn't really be suitable for cd/dvd playing aswell: Iv'e always had this thing in my head that says that the more things/features something has the worse it does them, and the less reliable it is, so a BDR is pretty complicated piece of kit. Otherwise, I'd just end up getting a newer Cambridge Audio.... which I like... from RS of course, and use it with a DAC. I like their UI on those aswell as the solid build unlike the cheaper marantz/denon dvds.

SIC

jebustheone, Mar 23, 2008
  12. jebustheone

Tenson Moderator

You can get a better deal on the RA500 here - http://www.dv247.com/invt/17044/

You don't loose any quality from the modded Behringer fro having the ADC as well, think of it has having an ADC and headphone output for free! It can still keep pace with the likes of the Benchmark DAC1, BelCanto DAC2 etc... You can borrow one to try out at the time you decide to get a DAC, if you like. Trust me, its well worth it.

Another pre-amp is hard to suggest for the same money. There is the Cyrus ACA7.5, or Naim NAC72 (both very good). There are a few Linn pre-amps on eBay at the moment (dunno if they are good). Musical Fidelity X-Pre V3. Lots of options, but most are around £250-£350. The Promitheus (sorry I spelled it wrong b4) is only about £120 s/h and should be very good. You could always buy a new one - http://www.promitheusaudio.com/tvc.htm

Tenson, Mar 23, 2008
Ask a Question