Upgradeitus

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rsand, May 15, 2012.

1. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

I recently dipped my toe in the waters of vinyl buying a rega planar 25 the logic being I wouldn't lose too much £ on it if vinyl wasn't for me but also knowing it was likely to cause domestic chaos asthetically and might need changing.

Fast forward a few months and I'm a vinyl junkie :) And although I love the sound of the rega I think something a bit prettier would please the missus :)

I want to spend between £800-1k (including the rega sale). Obvious choices are something like the michelle gyro se which I've seen around the £850 mark however a friend of mine says the rega sounds better and that the michelle was more hifi than music.

Alternatively I could go about improving the rega aesthetics by ditching the surround and sinking it flush in the deep shelf. I also know the rega could sound even better by spending the same or less on a better stylus (currently shure v15 III) and possible upgrages like alu subplatter/ceramic bearing/ac motor upgrade etc.

I don't want to spend money and be disappointed, any thoughts/advice?

rsand, May 15, 2012
  2. rsand

dudywoxer Regaholic

If you sink the P25 into the shelf, the chances are that you will change the sound of the deck.
    I would suggest that you look at the subplatter first, then the cart. The phono stage has as big, or bigger effect, on the overall sound as anything.

Strange thing about looks, you feel a Gyro would be more acceptable than a Rega, when I last changed I thought about NA and Mitchell, I eventually went with a P9, (for the sound). After the change I was told that My wife thought the other decks where a cross between a deck and oil rig.

dudywoxer, May 16, 2012
  3. rsand

johnandchris

How about the CLearaudio Concept. Hearing great things about it.

johnandchris, May 16, 2012
  4. rsand

I was going to do it in a clever way so as not to alter the sound. It wouldn't be fixed 'in' the shelf, but stand as it does now on spiked sorbothane feet. It would be free standing in a recess in the deep shelf with a gap on all 4 sides ie the p25 would still be isolated as it is now. The only difference is the wood surround would go, I can't imagine that add's anything positive to the sound?

rsand, May 16, 2012
  5. rsand

dudywoxer Regaholic

Doing it that way, no, in fact it may tidy the sound up a bit. I have tried the 9, and my old 25 without the surround. I could not decide what real changes it made, but could not stand the look of the deck without the surround.

dudywoxer, May 16, 2012
  6. rsand

Does anyone have any advice/comments on what would be an upgrade to the p25. I want to buy used as you get so much more for your money but an obvious downside is not being able to audition first.

My friend who has a spacedeck has nothing good to say about either the gyro se or Lp12, I've not heard either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
    rsand, May 18, 2012
  7. rsand

Colin2040

I can only add my opinion,I had a Gyro SE and much as I think it was very good it eventually got replaced by a Space Deck and arm.I think the spacedeck is a much better deck but it all depends on what you like to hear. It eventually got replaced with a Luxman and I now have a brand new unused AR Legend.All of which I like but I would put the Spacedeck forward as the best at reproduction if that makes sense.

Colin2040, May 18, 2012
  8. rsand

dudywoxer Regaholic

when I changed from my P25 I tried a few, finished with gyro, spacedeck, scout, and A\S challenger and the P9 on the short(ish) list. Finished up with a play off between the 9 and spacedeck. The 9 took my money.

dudywoxer, May 18, 2012
  9. rsand

My post about deciding on the Ace Space and Rob's post calling for images of said turntable have disappeared. Never mind here are a few images of my Ace Spacedeck, heavy upgrade, Ace Anna tonearm and Lyra Dorian cart.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
    rsand, Jun 26, 2012
  10. rsand

RobHolt Moderator

Very nice indeed.
    I really like Lyra cartridges and the photo of the Dorian is excellent. Nice avatar :)

I had the Lyra Argo when I used a Gyro/SMEIV and it matched that really well. That cartridge family have some high treble lift which makes them sound really open and airy in a sympathetic system.
    Superb trackers and super-clean sound.

RobHolt, Jun 27, 2012
  11. rsand

Thanks Rob. I've never seen any pictures of Nottingham decks that make them look nice or sexy, this was my attempt.

I'm loving the dorian, my amp and speakers are both reviewed to be on the bright side but although i would call it detailed I wouldnt say it was bright or harsh, low frequencies are sublime

rsand, Jun 27, 2012
  12. rsand

Tenson Moderator

Really, I've seen lost of sexy Spacedeck pictures!

Tenson, Jun 28, 2012
  13. rsand

I mustn't have looked hard enough? Of course when I said sexy I actually meant sexy to female not guy, I was trying to find images that 'might' get the wife on side prior to purchase and struggled. Oddly enough she actually likes it!

Only had one client round since the purchase and they were cooing over it however they are both into music him being a drummer and she does a bit of mixing.

rsand, Jun 28, 2012
Ask a Question