upgrading a Ming-Da 34a

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muzzer, Feb 6, 2007.

1. muzzer

muzzer

Hi Guys.
    I have recently been introduced to the world of valves after purchasing Lordsummits Ming-Da and I am totally seduced by the sound on offer(after being a long term Naim olive user)but I think there is more to get out of the Ming-Da.
    I have managed to locate a 2nd hand Border Patrol psu which I am considering buying.As an alternative Colin at Chevin Audio has recommended the Vacuum State supereg mod https://www.worldemail.com/shop/200345/vse_secure_pre.html
    and the Tent Labs DHT supply mod http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/Tubeamp/Tubefilament/index.html
    Does anyone have any expierence of the mods on offer.
    Also what about triode switching? would that be a plus.
    Cheers
    Andy.

muzzer, Feb 6, 2007
  2. muzzer

lordsummit moderate mod

You're messing with my Minger?????

Cool you're a braver man than I, it'll definitely stand some diy'ing. Glad you like it, it always was a bit of a giant killer. Triode switching is an interesting one. I could be way off kilter here, but the EL34 isn't set up for running as a triode, so you'd need to use KT88's. It could get expensive. If the power supply works, go with that. You could probably usefully change some of the caps, and also the volume control to something better than the alps blue that's in there.
    Good luck

lordsummit, Feb 6, 2007
  3. muzzer

muzzer

I can't help myself, I am sure there is more performance to be had out of it, I just need some pointers and someone to do the work.Are there any valve gurus in the Midlands/Northwest?

muzzer, Feb 6, 2007
  4. muzzer

T-bone Sanchez

I woudnt spend too much. At the end of the day the transformers make or break a valve amp, you can do all you like to the rest but the gains will be limited.

Id be tempted to save my money and go for something like the WD88 http://www.world-designs.co.uk/acatalog/AmpKits.html. The Mings are okay but compare them to summat like that and its a different league all together.

IMO of course.

T-bone Sanchez, Feb 7, 2007
  5. muzzer

thrudge

I got a Border Patrol power supply for my amp and I've been very happy with it. In fact, when I first got it I was ecstatic. Long term use has calmed me down a bit, but I'm still chuffed to bits with it. Briefly, the improvements I got were: bass goes lower and is more controlled; voices are much more real (esp. female vocal); imaging is better; everything seems more real and 'there'. I lost none of the virtues of the unmodified amp and gained loads. I can't recommend the BP enough.

thrudge, Feb 7, 2007
  6. muzzer

early

I've got the Icon stereo 40 , which I think was based
    on the Ming Da .

The Icon has a triode option on it , and to me it sounds
    much better in triode .

I also changed the first stage valve from 12ax7 to a
    12at7 , this made the valve much more "musical" , but
    lost a little punch .

early, Feb 7, 2007
  7. muzzer

lordsummit moderate mod

Does yours use 88's or 34's though? I'd try the BP power supply first, as you're most likely to get most of your money back if it doesn't work out.

lordsummit, Feb 7, 2007
  8. muzzer

early

EL34's .

Also KT77's are a drop in replacement for EL34's , I've been
    told they will give more detail than 34's , but I've not tried
    it yet , waiting till I need new valves or get hold of KT77's
    cheap .

Maybe changing the caps would be a cost effective upgrade
    if I'm right there's only four of them .

early, Feb 7, 2007
  9. muzzer

muzzer

This seems an easy option,I am ok with a soldering iron but its knowing which flavour of cap to use.
    The BP seems a good option, It may appear as overkill on a budget amp but it should improve it and I can always hang on to the BP and use it on a better amp when funds permit an upgrade.

muzzer, Feb 7, 2007
  10. muzzer

murray johnson

The Tentlabs DHT supply boards need to be used with Direct Heated Triode valves like the 2A3, 6B4G, 300B etc. They aren't really applicable to the valves in your amp. Tentlabs do make a filament supply for indirectly heated valves but I'm not sure the benefits would justify the outlay here. The BP supply is a good suggestion if you are competent (or know someone who is) to fit it.

murray johnson, Feb 7, 2007
Ask a Question