upgrading a mobile phone.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Sep 15, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi,
    i'm currently on orange and want to 'upgrade' my phone - i say upgrade, what i really want is a cheapy mobile that i won't mind dropping, losing or breaking if i'm out.
    obviously this will only work if i can keep my existing mobile. is this the case or do i have to 'trade in' my 'old' phone if i upgrade.
    also is it possible to clone my sim so that i can use the same number for both phones without having to swap sim's to the phone i want to use - or is that the only way to do it.
    i was looking at the nokia 5140 - a simple ruggedised phone that would suit what i want down to a tee. anyone used one? got opinions of it?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 15, 2004
  2. julian2002

Sgt Rock

Nope, you can't clone SIM's you'll have to swap them.

Sgt Rock, Sep 15, 2004
  3. julian2002

thanks, it's not ideal but better than losing my 'real' phone.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 15, 2004
  4. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

When you "upgrade" you don't have to trade in the old phone. btw, I'm sure it's technically possible to clone SIMs but it's probably not legal ;) . Also, if you did it it would be interesting to see what happened if you tried to use them both at the same time....

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 15, 2004
  5. julian2002

batfink

I don't know if Orange do it, but to do it legally we (O2) have a service called multi-card. This effectively gives you 2 Sim cards with the same number - one is the master Sim (calls always diverted to this one when it is in a device that is switched on) and one that is the 'slave' Sim (calls only diverted to this one if the master Sim is unavailable). It's only really targetted at business users so I'm not sure of the cost.

batfink, Sep 16, 2004
  6. julian2002

merlin

Julian,

forget multisim! Costs a bloody packet in real terms, particularly on Voda where it is limited to selected tariffs.

5140 is not what I would call a simple phone (but then I hate mobiles), but it seems to be ok from reports.

merlin, Sep 16, 2004
  7. julian2002

hmm,
    multisim sounds like what i'd like but tbh if it's going to cost more than a pay as u go sim, plus a nominal charge monthly (less than a quid) then the slight inconvienience of swapping the sim will be acceptable.
    the 5140 is probably about as simple as you can get a phone these days, plus it is splash proof etc. which is what i want for walking / jogging during the winter. i like the look of the 8910i with it's titanium shell but at 400 quid sim free they can f*ck off and it would still die if i got caught in heavy weather and it was in an outside pocket so not really suitable.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 16, 2004
Ask a Question