urghhhh! possibly the ugliest speakers ever?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Sep 9, 2005.

?

Which of these floats your boat, if any?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2005.
  1. 1

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. 2

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. 3

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. 5

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. B1

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. B2

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. B4

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. B5

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 7_V

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Brilliant! LMAO :lol:

technobear, Sep 10, 2005
  2. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Good call - sorry about that. I've lightened them up a bit now.

Yes, the scale is a little out. I'll be using 2"ers. The two drive-unit model will probably be the first to be released but I haven't yet decided for certain.

Thanks for your comments and votes so far. Please keep them coming.
    Here's that link again

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
    7_V, Sep 10, 2005
  3. 7_V

Will The Lucky One

3 gets my vote of the selected designs, though I have to say I'm not a major fan of any of the selected designs. I'd place number 2 in second plane (theres something slightly B&W Nautilus about it too me). I tend to prefer very plain 'normal' looking floorstanding speakers ala the Quad 22L or Castle Conway 3 to some of the more unusually shaped ones out there though....

B4 and B5, traffic lights...

B1 and B2, too fussy..the two tone effect always seems slightly cheap looking to my eyes on a lot of kit so I am slightly wary of it.

4 is also a wine glass crossed with a speaker, whilst 5 is what they used to sink the Tirpitz with its fins clipped a bit isn't it?! In seriousness they do look like typical expensive AV speakers to me, which is probably quite a good thing if you want them to have a high WAF in a modernly furnished room. They do look somewhat unstable though.

1 isn't too bad but the pinstripe isn't very nice.

Will, Sep 10, 2005
  4. 7_V

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I'd go most for 3 or B2...
    However, you can't only be using 2" drivers?
    What about bass?
    Perhaps a Gallo Reference style 12" unit or 2?

leonard smalls, Sep 10, 2005
  5. 7_V

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

number 2 is my fave

lAmBoY, Sep 10, 2005
  6. 7_V

Separate bass speakers to match (as with current range).

link to concept designs

7_V, Sep 10, 2005
  7. 7_V

blakeaudio

i reallly like 5 and b2. 5 does look like a nice pen. some of the others are a bit unimaginative or just ugly....

blakeaudio, Sep 10, 2005
  8. 7_V

T-bone Sanchez

Steve, maybe abit too 'lifestyle' inspired?? Id be abit concerned they might age, but 2 & 3 I think gets my vote.

T-bone Sanchez, Sep 12, 2005
  9. 7_V

Markus S Trade

I'm afraid I'll have to take the "none of the above" option. Many of the designs look like weird variations on baseball bats, and they all look too lifestyle-y/Vivid B1-y for my taste.

Markus S, Sep 12, 2005
  10. 7_V

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

4, B4 and B5 look WAY too much like traffic lights - nasty IMHO!

However, the others are pretty stylish - I like the curvier (e.g., 1 and 2) ones with the subtle bass porting - not bad at all.

They don't look as good in black across the board IMHO btw :)

domfjbrown, Sep 12, 2005
  11. 7_V

The 'Lifestyle' question is an interesting one. Assuming that the final design is reasonably attractive, is there any reason that a 'Lifestyle' speaker should sell any less than a more conventional product?

Like most Zero Gainers, I'm concerned first and foremost with sound quality and my assumption is that audiophiles in general buy their hi-fi on the basis of sound quality, even if it also looks good. :D If this is true, surely bringing out a 'Lifestyle' product will increase the potential market.

My goal is that when I demo the speakers - say at a hi-fi show - people will be predisposed to like the speakers as soon as they see them. The alternative view is that 'real-men-audiophiles' think that it can't sound good if it looks good and so they won't even listen. :rolleyes:

(new page so here's the link again)

7_V, Sep 12, 2005
  12. 7_V

T-bone Sanchez

You might miss the market though. Think 'Lifestyle' and names such as B & O and *gulp* Bose spring to mind, IMO people who buys these products buy for the name as much as anything and thats something you'd struggle with especially as your (I presume) going to be asking a premium over these products. The other problem with 'lifestyle' design relates to copies. Flick through argos or take a walk around the local electrical store and its full of the things. Yours is a premium hi-fi product as as such will be bought by enthusiasts.

Im sure theres plenty of middle ground such as B&W type designs. All IMO of course

13. 7_V

bemcsa

I don't see why a speaker should not both look and sound good. After all its the most prominent part of a system and not everyone wants an audiophile brick staring at them. A lot of people dismiss lifestyle speakers since companies like B&O and Bose appear to put form over function.

How much influence does the exterior shape of the speaker have on its sound? I presume the examples were designed for aesthetic and not acoustic reasons. What materials are you going to use to make the speakers? There appear to be some fairly slender sections on some of the designs.

As for a surprise or two - what about built in air bags for when they topple over - they do look rather top heavy. How about incorporating some transmission lines. It would be nice to have some T.L. speakers that are not pig ugly (and yes I do own some Meadowlarks :) )

In answer to your question 1, 3 and 5 would be welcome in my living room; good luck.

bemcsa, Sep 12, 2005
  14. 7_V

T-bone Sanchez

You normaly pay 1000's for think-tanks like this.

15. 7_V

Off hand, I'd say diffraction and stereo image are two areas that are directly affected by the exterior shape.

I can't say too much about materials yet as my patents consultant might not like it (and might increase his fee from a couple of Flake bars to a complete Cadbury's Dairy Box). However, I can say that the final exterior shape will be altered by considerations of volume, internal shape, etc.

I'll try to make them stable enough to leave out the air-bags. :D

7_V, Sep 12, 2005
  16. 7_V

MO! MOnkey`ead!

2 and 5.

But none of them realllllllllllllllllllly appeal.

MO!, Sep 12, 2005
  17. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

What price range will they be in Steve (Inc sub(s)) ballpark range will do?

analoguekid, Sep 12, 2005
  18. 7_V

They will be less expensive than the current Nonsuch 4, like for like. However, there will be a unique optional feature, not currently found on any other speaker that people will (hopefully) find desirable. My lips are sealed on this (again, instructions from my 'Flake' man). Also, the first model released will be a two unit speaker rather than the four unit Nonsuch 4 so that will reduce the price further.

I'm also looking to sell through a dealer network.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
    7_V, Sep 12, 2005
  19. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

At cheaper prices then I reckon WAF will play a more important roll, (less likely perhaps to be in a dedicated room)they definately look very modern, and should fit into homes decor that the nonsuch can't the designs you have IMHO will appaeal to the lifestyle sector too, curious about the secret bit :D I have no doubt that they will sound good though.

Good luck

analoguekid, Sep 12, 2005
  20. 7_V

rsand I can't feel my toes

I think they all look a bit B&O for my tastes. They are very lifestyle which I think is where you are aiming Steve?

I think these will date quite quickly, this is not an issue for companies like mission that sell k's and k's worldwide but a smaller manufacturers like yours surely need a design to last longer to re-coup production costs?

rsand, Sep 12, 2005
Ask a Question