USB: the lesser of the two evils?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Current attention on USB for audio seems to be focused on the jitter thing and async applications to address this. But what about basic old fashioned electrical noise?

There are efforts to address this as well, but from a straightforward, non-technical pov, which is actually the lesser of these two evils?

Coda II, Jan 24, 2011
  2. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

I think that the current crop of usb interfaces can be seen to improve matters technically - no question. I'm not convinced yet on the argument that this elevates usb above say optical given that the data is usually re-clocked in the dac. Plus there is still little in the way of listening tests to determine just how much jitter is acceptable before it becomes audible.

I like optical for the reasons you give and that's what I usually use.

RobHolt, Jan 24, 2011
  3. Coda II

robert_cyrus

potential spammer reported

robert_cyrus, Jan 24, 2011
  4. Coda II

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Cheers Robert, user has been banned.

Telkman, Jan 24, 2011
  5. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

There is this paper: Detection threshold for distortions due to jitter on digital audio

It places the audibility threshold around 250ns.

Tenson, Jan 24, 2011
  6. Coda II

Labarum

Using my Beresford Caiman DAC I cannot here any difference between inputs USB, S/PDIF on Toslink or S/PDIF on phono plug.

Labarum, Jan 24, 2011
  7. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

I'd have to say electrical noise is probably the more concerning factor to me. I've connected my external soundcard to a few computers and on occasion a system will put high frequency noise on the audio outputs. You can usually hear this change with what you are doing on the computer like accessing the hard disk. It's low, but it is audible if the soundcard is connected directly to a power amp.

On the other hand, random jitter must be at least 250ns to be audible which is much more than most systems produce these days. The worst case of sinusoidal jitter that I've seen, produced side bands about -115dB below the fundamental and only about 300Hz away from it, so masking effects would be huge. Other distortions like HD and IMD will be at least equal in amplitude and further spaced from the fundamental so closer to the threshold of audibility.

Tenson, Jan 24, 2011
  8. Coda II

Silk

My opinion, for what it's worth, is just because something could theoretically be audible, doesn't mean it is.

Silk, Jan 24, 2011
  9. Coda II

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I've had the Hiface, the Hiface Evo and the Young DAC in my set-up at various times.

In each case I've found them to be superior to the Optical out from my Macbook pro, I found the same was true of my previous dac as well. So I wouldn't assume all examples of a certain interface are as well implemented as each other.

I think each DAC responds differently to USB, some suffer with jitter, some suffer with noise on the power line and some are well designed, reclock or use an Async protocol and have carefully implemented grounding arrangement and well filtered power supplies.

The USB input of the Young is transformer decoupled, and doesn't use the 5v line at all so i guess that gives it a head start over some other USb dacs.

sq225917, Jan 24, 2011
  10. Coda II

felix part-time Horta

[size=-2][ot:]
    Julian Dunn put it at about 2-20nS; and the amount of jitter required for less than 1/2bit error to recover 16bit audio actually calculates at 246pS - a thousand times smaller. As you say, whether this is audible is very moot. Random stuff doesnt matter much, because it simply becomes noise. Correlated jitter is far worse, far more common, and more difficult to get a grip on. And there's some quite good evidence that it's the very tightness of that clock 'skirt ' which makes the real difference i.e. [low] frequency jitter <<100Hz - which does not agree with the published listening studies I've seen of random jitter injection[/ot][/size]

'Silk' above is spot-on. And its the whole package that matters, not the singling out of some nerdy figure of merit. No point having brilliant reclocking and a lousy/noisy output stage, or a tendency to hum, or other more gross defects, technical or aesthetic. And there's no arguing modern digital equipment that performs 'well enough' is a lot cheaper than it used to be.

I'd listen to a few dacs that do what I want within the budget and pick the one which pleased me most.

felix, Jan 24, 2011
  11. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

Did he find that from listening tests, or educated speculation?

Tenson, Jan 24, 2011
  12. Coda II

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

sq225917, Jan 25, 2011
  13. Coda II

Tenson Moderator

Thanks for the link.

Some of it looks very interesting, but I don't have time to read all his work now! Can you please link to his listening tests on the audibility of jitter?

Tenson, Jan 25, 2011
  14. Coda II

felix part-time Horta

Simon, I've got it in a book somewhere - will dig out & scan/send you an email this w/end.

All the Nanophon documentation and the technical work done for Audio Precision is well worth a read.

felix, Jan 25, 2011
  15. Coda II

robertz100

I'm also using a Beresford Caiman, opted for TOSLINK because I wanted to avoid electrical interference (PC uses a high wattage PSU which the cable runs right past). It sounded a whole lot better than my USB trial using a printer cable but owing to the obvious quality difference in the two cables it is not really a fair comparison.

robertz100, Jan 31, 2011
  16. Coda II

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

I don't understand what you mean here by the obvious quality difference ?

jcbrum, Feb 1, 2011
  17. Coda II

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I think he means that optical is galvanically decoupled form the power supply of the source and that USb is a great method for injecting switch mode noise into a dac via the 5v line.

Unless of course his USB cable was badly manufactured with bits hanging off it or something. ;-)

sq225917, Feb 1, 2011
  18. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

Bog standard USB is clearly noisy in most applications.
    Look at the test results for both the MF Dacs and Cambridge and you'll see more noise and higher THD when using USB.

The only question is how audible these things are.
    But since we have good alternatives (optical/coax/async usb) you might as well just not use standard USB where the above options are available.

RobHolt, Feb 1, 2011
  19. Coda II

robertz100

The usb cable was one originally chucked in with a printer, whereas the TOSLINK cable was a decent quality one costing £30+ a metre.

What I meant was I didn't compare the two methods like for like, I think a high quality audio usb cable would have given a fairer comparison. I'd assume the sound would be much better from a usb cable which used high quality silver-plated connectors and oxygen-free copper (probably costs 50x as much as the printer cable).

Having not heard the latter solution I can't comment beyond what I've read.

robertz100, Feb 1, 2011
  20. Coda II

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

The 'quality' of a USB cable will make no difference at all. If one cable had the 5v line isolated with a pulse transformer or similar than that would make a difference, but all the fancy construction in the world won't make any difference.

All the online usb cable bullshit stems from the Computer Audiophile site where they would rather waste £1000 on a cable than correctly isolate a £5 one.

There's 101 cable sellers on their in disguise pimping their wares with ZERO proof of any effect. Red what Steve Nugent from Empirical Audio says " use a correctly isolated USb input and the cheapest cable you can find".

Expensive cables are no substitute for good DAC design.

sq225917, Feb 1, 2011
Ask a Question