Using A computer for Audio Playback.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rollo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. rollo

rollo

I'm confused about which is the most affective way of using my computer. Do I use a soundcard or a external DAC? or both?
    What is the state of the art today? Can someone please explain to this senior member how and which way to go. Are the pro soundcards more desireable than say a Squeeze Box? or not. Clueless, please help.

rollo

rollo, Dec 6, 2007
  2. rollo

Mister_Tad coffee bunnee

I'm not going to say that its the best option out there, but I'm very happy with a "pro" sound card (E-Mu 1212M) and an External DAC (Beresford) to Tannoy Reveal Actives.

Can't compare it to a squeezebox, but it compares quite well with a lot of the "real" hifi gear I've heard (including my own) whilst still being cheap enough (I would even question the need for a decent sound card, anything that can do bit-matched output should be fine, but I had the E-Mu before the DAC). Though it is only used for nearfield listening when I'm on the PC, as opposed to in its own room.

Mister_Tad, Dec 6, 2007
  3. rollo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

depends if your p.c. is in spitting distance of your hifi.

My squeezebox is wireless, so location is irrelevant.

I use a DAC with it, but the inbuilt ones pretty good.

bottleneck, Dec 6, 2007
  4. rollo

Zylog

Have a look at ATI ADM9s. An interesting concept, I have just ordered a pair with sub. If anyone is interested I will post my thoughts after I have had time to evaluate the system.

Zylog, Dec 6, 2007
  5. rollo

banpe2006

what is good about a squeezebox....whats the sound quality like compared to cd?

banpe2006, Dec 6, 2007
  6. rollo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Zylog, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the AVI's.
    Look forward to reading your thoughts on them.

MO!, Dec 7, 2007
  7. rollo

Andrew Kinsey

To get high quality playback from a computer you do not need to invest in a fancy soundcard. Anything will do as long as it has a digital ouput such as SPDIF or Optical. Apple Mac's for example have a built in soundcard with Optical I/O.

The main thing that will make the difference is the DA converter you use. The cheaper converters (the ones that you get on most soundcards) obscure the detail and stereo imaging of the music.

If you get a dedicated converter you will be able to use it with your CD players/transports and also your computer. Depending on what converter you use the difference can be huge, some brands use run of the mill DA chips while others are completely custom made from scratch.

If you want a big improvement check out Lavry converters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:MILD:

Andrew Kinsey, Dec 7, 2007
  8. rollo

rollo

Andrew,
    Thanks for the info. I plan on puchasing a Mac for audio only. I'm looking at a Mac Book laptop. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. As far as the DAC is concerned I have a Theta 5A lying around since I purchased the Lector CDP7. The Larvey sounds interesting as well. Will check it out. Thanks

rollo

rollo, Dec 7, 2007
  9. rollo

rollo

Thanks for the response. The p.c.[ Mac Book laptop] will be in the listening room. Wireless eh! SM will love you. He,he,he.
    Kidding aside, did you go wireless for noise or location issues? I remember Reference Recording did a Dick Hyman plays Fats Waller on location and sent the signal to the recording studio by a wireless system. If its good enough for RR I guess its good enough for us.

rollo

rollo, Dec 7, 2007
  10. rollo

nununo

Hi,

I am considering the Mac Mini as a music storage and streming device and then connect it to a Wavelength Audio Brick USB DAC:
    http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/usbdac.html

Actually, from what I have been reading SPDIF is not the best way as it has jitter. USB is now starting to become the standard and the best connection. You can read more about it here:

http://www.lessloss.com/about.html

and here:
    http://www.lessloss.com/computer_audio_usb.html

and in this PDF also:
    http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/compsys.pdf

Nuno

nununo, Dec 7, 2007
  11. rollo

rollo

Nuno,
    Thanks you very very much. Great read and extremley informative. Learned enough now to make my decision.

rollo

rollo, Dec 9, 2007
  12. rollo

Stereo Mic

A warning about USB. It is not compatible with high resolution files. You are better off using a Firewire link with possibly an SPDIF breakout.

Stereo Mic, Dec 9, 2007
  13. rollo

rollo

Thanks SM.

rollo

rollo, Dec 9, 2007
  14. rollo

nununo

Thank them, not me

Rollo,

You're welcome. But the guys who wrote all those nice articles are the ones you really should thank to :)

Stereo Mic,

USB 2.0 is as fast as Firewire. I'm not suggesting what you've said is not true, but I just don't conclude anything from it. What exactly do you mean by high-resolution files? Can you give us some links to shed some light on what you've said?

Cya,
    Nuno

nununo, Dec 9, 2007
  15. rollo

ShinOBIWAN

USB 2.0 is since it has 56Mb/s bandwidth compared to firewire 400's 40Mb/s and firewire 800's 80Mb/s. Thats far more than even SACD can dish out let alone CD and lossless.

PC for audio destroys any analogue setup. Why? Because you never have to shift from your chair to change tracks :D

If your worried about noise, don't be. Completely silent PC's are possible. I just built one myself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ShinOBIWAN, Dec 9, 2007
  16. rollo

Stereo Mic

Hi Nuno,

I mean good old fashioned USB. I was always told it was only compatible with 16 bit files, not 24 bit high rez wavs that might be stored. I was not aware of USB 2.0 so thanks. Are all of the USB dacs on the market now USB 2.0 devices?

Interestingly, there seems to be a problem with the latest release of iTunes and it's sample rate conversion, meaning that a user cannot mix these high resolution files with std 16 bit wavs. Really annoying as I like the iTunes interface.

Stereo Mic, Dec 9, 2007
  17. rollo

penance Arrogant Cock

USB2.0 has been standard for over 18 months now in the IT industry, i would hope that has happened in audio as well.

penance, Dec 9, 2007
  18. rollo

Wickfut

thats my plan after xmas , get rid of my humming box in the corner of the room and make a silent one.

do you mind sharing your details of what you purchased and the price so I have an idea of what to expect?

I dont need the SLI graphics though :)

Wickfut, Dec 9, 2007
  19. rollo

smegger68

That's one of the mCubed 'Heatsink' cases. Google it for more info.

smegger68, Dec 9, 2007
  20. rollo

kmac

Or you can get a mac mini....completely silent and not so expensive.

kmac, Dec 9, 2007
Ask a Question