Using A computer for Audio Playback.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rollo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. rollo

kmac

Alco you still need somewhere to store the music with the SB3...hence the laptop or music server or whatever

kmac, Dec 15, 2007
  2. rollo

BlueMax

I have tried SB1 and the much improved SB2. They both require better PSUs and need to be played through a DAC. Also I prefer the large screen with graphics, internet connectivity to relevent sites, etc of a PC or a notebook.

I also like reading credits, looking at notes, pics, etc. These can be downloaded or scanned in very easily. Plus add more info from the web. That way you can browse through the covers of hundreds of CDs easily on your Notebook or PC, make a selection and play with a click! You can also have links to websites about a particular CD, artist, composer or whatever; an option you don't have with a CDP or SB. I personally also store notes/reveiws of an album as a file in the same folder the ripped CD file.

If you do not need to use wireless or is concerned about an RFI device sitting so close to your hi-fi components, Audigy 2 NX , a USB device, has excellent spec. Includes ability to record using analog or digital inputs from your CDP. It has an external PSU. Comes with a remote control with comprehensive facilities.

24-bit/96kHz Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 surround outputs - analogue and digital
    24-bit/96kHz ADC for various analog inputs for recording from LPs, cassettes or w.h.y.
    Optical in
    SPDIF and Optical out
    Signal to Noise Ratio : 102 dB
    Many other features including Mic-in, headphones, Dolby Digital decoding, HD for 24-bit DVD-A, etc.

http://in.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=9103
    Also worth considering is the all-in-one box, Trends Audio USB DAC UD-10
    Description and review by TNT Audio at
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/trendsaudio_ud10_e.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
    BlueMax, Dec 15, 2007
  3. rollo

Alco

Ah ok, you're right about that kmac!

Alco, Dec 15, 2007
  4. rollo

Zylog

Hello Mo!,

I have not forgotten my promise to do a review of the ADM9s + sub. All installed and working very well, first impressions are very favorable indeed. I will do a proper review as soon as I have had time to fully evaluate the system.

Peter

Zylog, Dec 31, 2007
Ask a Question