using amplifier without speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mutant, Dec 19, 2003.

1. mutant

mutant

I got a 2nd hand amp the other day, and wanted to test it, but have no working speakers for a week or 2. Would i be ok to test using headphones with the speaker outputs turned off, or would this be detrimental to its health (with my guitar amps i cant use them without speakers attached, but thats partly because my tubes will blow if i dont)??

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  2. mutant

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It will be fine to use it without speakers.

As long as you do not have a peice of wire shorting the two terminals! Aslongs as the speaker terminals are not connected to anything it will be fine.

amazingtrade, Dec 19, 2003
  3. mutant

mutant

so if theres nothing plugged in it will be ok? I have both speaker outputs turned off anyway, with nothing connected.

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  4. mutant

Yeah I'm 99% certain it will be safe. If there is nothing connected there is simply no circuit there.

It be fine.

I would wait for other opinions as well but I am sure I'm right.

5. mutant

mutant

well the guy i got it from said it'd be ok - just emailed him now - and it does have speaker bypass controls for listening thru headphones so ill just try it anyway. Wishing myself luck :(

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  6. mutant

Well if the speakers are connect the circuit it is not complete so nothing can go wrong.

7. mutant

mutant

very good, working and sounds great. Noticeable difference between this and my mini system (this is my first foray into separates), and this is through crappy headphones (have some philips SBC HP890's arriving monday though - :D) Just need a decent(ish) TT and a source CD player and im set.

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  8. mutant

The HP890's are very nice headphones but I am very biased:) . But I do really love the sound of them.

9. mutant

mutant

yes, its from your ste that i actually started reading the reviews. got them for £30 brand new ;D

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  10. mutant

£30? wow thats cheap. I paid £50, a lot of the americans seem happy to pay £100 for them! They are often compared to the likes of Grados SR60s etc.

11. mutant

mutant

yeh, they'd been on amazon for a few weeks for £39.99 new from an independant seller, and i dithered and dithered, finally deciding to buy them last night, what with it being pay day. Was on the night before and they were still there, logged on last night - and they'd sold! I was quite disheartened, so searched on ebay on the off chance, having also checked there the night before, and only finding a brand new pair of SBC HP840's new for £25, and thinking i'll buy those if needs be. Low and behold, the guy with the 840's had a pair brand new £30, so i snapped them up. Got sent out with city link today and should be here monday (or tomorrow if they do weekend deliveries, but i doubt that).

Pretty chuffed to say the least.

On another note though, what hifi gave them a 3 of 5 star review, yet every other single review i've seen gives them 5 out of 5 - weird.

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  12. mutant

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Well thats reviews for you, meaningless shite, the lot of them.!!

Glad you like your new hifi amp.

PS what guitar/amp do you play?

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Dec 19, 2003
  13. mutant

mutant

Guitar - Jackson/Charvel 1987 Model 6, soon to be partnered with an ibanez PGM90th anniversary (when i find one again).

Amps - Laney VC50 combo, Laney LH50R head, Marshall 1936 cab (can you see that i like laney? Used to have an LC15R tube practise amp too ;)).

Is the PRS in the picture yours (i am right in thinking its a PRS?)?

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  14. mutant

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Mate

Yeah, its a PRS - a Mcarty I think.

Its not mine unfortunately. I have a black standard 24, and a mesa/bogie combo.

Do you like to play classic heavy metal/classic rock then?

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 19, 2003
  15. mutant

That is because Philips did not pay What HIFI enough *in my opinion of course*

The sound is very full on and bold but its not that bright either, I never get tired of listening to them. The soundstage is very big and the bass is very powerful and bold but on my system at least it never gets out of control.

16. mutant

mutant

yes, a lot of early sabbath, randy era ozzy, maiden, that kind of thing. Also a lot of Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert (hence the VC50 - got an email from him personally recommending it - nice guy - and the PGM90th).

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
  17. mutant

mutant

Yes, maybe before they write their reviews they should consider that some of us aren't lucky enough to own £10,000+ systems, and that we are using the budget headphones with our budget systems. Still, theyre nice looking aint they, especially the blue velvet ear cushions ;)

mutant, Dec 19, 2003
Ask a Question