Using U.S. mains plugs in the U.K.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HenryT, Aug 24, 2003.

1. HenryT

HenryT

I'm due to take delivery any day now of a power cord which is coming from the States. It is terminated with a US style 3 pin plug. I don't wish to re-terminate it with a UK 3 pin plug as in the long term I'm looking to use US style wall receptacles (or power strips/trailing sockets with US style sockets on them).

The main reason for starting this thread was that I wanted to know what the easiest and best way of using the power cord would be for now?

For the short term, I'm looking into getting a US-to-UK travel adaptor. Has anyone had any "audio" experience with these? I know it's ultimately a compromise, but just wondered if anyone has found a "best sounding" one :eek: ? So far, the best solution I've come managed up with is this:

[​IMG]

In the long term, a second question arises... How the hell do I directly replace one of these:

[​IMG]

with one of these:

[​IMG]

Seeing as the dimension are completely different, is there such an "off the shelf" blanking plate which could allow US style wall receptalces to be used in holes previously filled by UK double sockets?

HenryT, Aug 24, 2003
  2. HenryT

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Henry, I have a tenplate for the very Job, how ever make sure then the receptical is 240V first :) and that the US plugs are 240V also BTW the Z-Squared is an easy UK termination (not that I've done it :cool: ) WM

wadia-miester, Aug 24, 2003
  3. HenryT

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am no expert here, but the only concern I have, which my not be a valid concern, but the UK uses 50hz mains I think and the USA is 60hz. This may causes some problems with the cable I am not sure. Also is the cable suited for 230v?

As for the other socket, I have no idea whats so ever, but again there might be a problem with the different mains specifications.

I have done a bit of mains wiring, (I've add a spur in my bedroom and wall light, and installed our burger alarm) but I've never had to anything like install a plug socket like that.

amazingtrade, Aug 24, 2003
  4. HenryT

A/T mains needs to be treated with respect, and carefull attention paid to all wiring jobs, however I can safey state they are one or 2 of us using 'Weedy 3 pin plugs' :) and have been doing so for a while now. WM

5. HenryT

penance Arrogant Cock

so loang as the socket used can handle 240Vrms at the required current capacity, the frequency wont make one iota of difference

penance, Aug 24, 2003
  6. HenryT

merlin

Henry, I'm using the travel adaptor solution:eek: I know it's a compromise but retermination is not an option yet on the Shunyata due to it's size, plus that in itself would compromise the performance. Having said that, the imrovements are so mind bending that I don't worry about the adaptor.

If you use a number of US cords, I would suggest running a single reterminated cable (Taipan or similar smaller guage) to a US distributer. Something like the Cardas mains block, or the Shunyata Hydra or Guardian. That way, you can plug any additional cables into the block directly, and it's easier by far to reterminate say a Eupen with a US plug.

I would have a concern about changing the actual wall socket. They are of course non standard and not CE approved. In the event of a house fire, the insurance companies could quite rightly jump on you. With the mains block, you can hopefully shall we say, dispose of the evidence more easily

;)

merlin, Aug 24, 2003
  7. HenryT

Merlin note, that fitting a CE plug to non CE cable nulls the CE mark anyway :eek: also not ilegal to sell non CE marked stuff, however some insurance companies will accept UL markings.
    It is the fuse issue that is paramount, you can still use a uk mains plug from the wall to the power conitioner, the US on. WM

8. HenryT

adam

I was wondering the same thing too,as i'm waiting for some shunyata sidewinders (for the poorer ones)about the plug ends,I've seen the adaptors on american sities but can't find anything closer to home (euro plug).

Just going off track a mo,do you need to import 2nd hand cables?for customs they could just be any old kettle lead.

adam, Aug 24, 2003
  9. HenryT

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

your entering a very grey area in using us spec kit in the uk,i aint got the bible (iee regs) to hand but they quote a BS number that all plugs and sockets must comply to,also is the cable insulation up to 240v
    As merlin says if your installation dont comply with the iee regs then you may as well not bother with insurance

themadhippy, Aug 25, 2003
  10. HenryT

HenryT

Re: Re: Using U.S. mains plugs in the U.K.

Where did you source your travel adaptors from, just out of interest?

Not familiar with the Cardas, but sounds rather painful from a financial outlay pont of view. :eek:

Point taken. :) Will be getting a qualified sparky to do the consumer unit and wall socket/wiring when the time comes, so he's obviously going to do his work according to IEE regs. Will see what happens, but the US sockets on a "removeable" item is no doubt the way to go... ;)

HenryT, Aug 25, 2003
  11. HenryT

adam

I got mine from www.traveloasis.com in the uk, you can get them from the states but the postage was exspensive,mine are for europe obviously.

adam, Aug 26, 2003
  12. HenryT

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

A big question I have, and frankly you are going to need a rock solid answer, is why do you want to change the UK plug anyway?

I don't really subscribe to this crap any way, but if I did, surely the larger surface area of the UK plug would be better?

Common, admit it, when you get a nerdy HIFI friend round you want to show them that you have 'different plugs'. Derrrefferent perlllugggssss.

Wow I feel a frank zappa tune coming on here.

So common then, good scentific sound reason for spending money, and indeed precious life doing this thing?

garyi, Aug 26, 2003
  13. HenryT

Robbo

Gary,

I think what people are doing is importing US power cables bought cheaply from audiogon. Rather than re-terminate them (difficult to do with some cables) it is easier to use US mains sockets.

Oh, and they sound better apparently (no fuses?):D

Robbo, Aug 26, 2003
  14. HenryT

adam

We have no fuses in our plugs here either.I'm keeping my wall sockets the same,i just thought it would be hassle to change from us plug to euro plug,hence the adaptor.

Yes they are good prices especially that the euro is stronger against the $ than it is the £,so its a good buy for me.

adam, Aug 26, 2003
  15. HenryT

merlin

Henry,

Sadly I cannot help on the travel adaptor, as I got mine with my first Shunyata purchase from a guy in London.

I am not sure of the cost of the Cardas, but the Guardian can be snapped up from about $400, about the same as a UK Russ job. It's supposed to be bloody good too, it's a filter and surge protector to boot;)

There's no way I would put US sockets in the wall, just to risky when it comes to household insurance for me. But the cables can make tremendous differences, I do understand that Shunyata will soon be able to offer their cables with UK termination.

As for Gary's comments, just please listen, then tell us that they make no difference. Some of us have had great results. I received this comment from the guy who bought my old Shunyata Viper from me.

The guy's in the music business and already had a PS audio P600. So it's not just me then;)

merlin, Aug 26, 2003
  16. HenryT

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if that the case and you intend to use it on a standard ring final circuit i hope that cable and all conectors used on it are rated for 30/32 Amps at 230 volts

themadhippy, Aug 26, 2003
  17. HenryT

Robbo

If it was me, I would fit some US sockets to a trichord Isolation transformer block and use the US powercords from there. Then at least you have a fuse in the trichord's power lead.

Robbo, Aug 26, 2003
  18. HenryT

Les, what I do is use a stock (I say stock bad word there) uk Fused plug from the uK wall (proper power cables again) to the power conditioners, which I have converted to use US recepticles, I don't use US versions in the wall.
    Merlin, so MR MR hifi John Carter bought a shunayta off you eh?, blimey must be strange hearing all those things he's been missing :), wait til he really gets into it ;) WM

wadia-miester, Aug 26, 2003
  19. HenryT

merlin

No sir it wasn't John, I doubt he'd approve really;) But I just knew, as you would have, the sense of shock from getting THAT much of a change from six feet of cable would be amusing:D The CD player was an AR CD3 BTW

merlin, Aug 26, 2003
  20. HenryT

voodoo OdD

I'm sayin' nuthin' :D !

voodoo, Aug 26, 2003
Ask a Question