Value of Quad 22 Pre-Amp + 2 Power Amps ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scotty, Feb 10, 2007.

1. scotty

scotty

I have acquired the pre-amp and 2 of the quad 2 power amp. They work fine and all valves light. I was wondering what is the value of these?

Cheers!
    ________
    Kissing Advice Dicussion

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
    scotty, Feb 10, 2007
  2. scotty

la toilette Downright stupid

Depends on general condition and whether they have original GEC/Osram/Marconi KT66's I think. They'll get top dollar if all original or have had recent Quad service. I get the impression that non-quad services almost make them less desirable than completely unserviced - makes little sense to me but there you go. For instance I had a pair of functionally perfect Quad II's that had been serviced and resprayed with new set of Sovtek KT66's that I sold on ebay - went for about £400. I then sold a completely original but untested very tired and flakey looking single Quad II with original but possibly knackered Osram KT66's that I sold on ebay with an entirely honest description for £330!?

IME guide price £450-£900 on ebay, depending on who/how many bidding.

Not sure about the 22 though, good to complete a set but not sure how many people still actually use them?

la toilette, Feb 10, 2007
  3. scotty

scotty

It has been completely serviced by Quad, I still have the receipt. ?450 just for the Power Amps, wow! Well I guess maybe someone might collect the full set with Pre-Amp + Power Amp so one can only hope! One of the Power Amps has a dent in the metal, guess this will reduce price yeah? It doesnt affect sound mind you
    ________
    MOTORCYCLE TIRES

scotty, Feb 10, 2007
  4. scotty

Neil

Try the "quad" group on yahoo for advice and potential buyers. I'd advertise as a 'set' on ebay and make sure photos and description were good. If there's a few bidders you'll likely be lucky - also ship to US and far East to expand your market.

Neil, Feb 10, 2007
  5. scotty

ianb

One reason why non-original sets get less is that it's very difficult to find non-GEC KT66s that are actually made to the correct specification, apparently. Many modern KT66 'copies' draw too much heater current, which kills the mains transformers on the power amps. I was told this by the Quad service dept. a few years ago.

ianb, Feb 10, 2007
  6. scotty

la toilette Downright stupid

Yeah I remember something about that when I looked into and replaced the 6L6GC's that were in my pair, but as far as I recall it was some of the cheapo chinese ones that were not so good, the sovteks were fine (as were my EI 6L6's btw). If I remember rightly the original setup effectively used just one Quad II to power the controller and the other power amp, thus stressing the mains transformer of one power amp over time.

la toilette, Feb 10, 2007
  7. scotty

scotty

scotty, Feb 11, 2007
  8. scotty

Neil

Neil, Feb 11, 2007
  9. scotty

nando nando

scotty!!!! ?

nando, Feb 13, 2007
  10. scotty

scotty

scotty, Feb 15, 2007
  11. scotty

nando nando

Try Watford Valves, He Does All The Valves For Most Bands In The World, I Have Had A Word With Him And Those Valves Are Not A Problem For Him To Get, His Web Is On All Magazines, Regards Nando.

nando, Feb 16, 2007
  12. scotty

Andy 831

Scotty

Are you thinking of selling?

I have a mate in New Zealand who collects old kit (think he had 22 valve amps at last count)

If your interested maybe i could put you both together, Alternatively send me some details of what you have and i will email it on for you.

Regards

Andy

Andy 831, Feb 16, 2007
  13. scotty

scotty

Andy, that would be great. If you could PM me his email address or whatever that would be good :D

Cheers
    ________
    Ship sale

scotty, Feb 16, 2007
  14. scotty

Andy 831

Morning Scotty

I emailed him last night on the off chance you would be interested in selling, to ask him would the Quad 2 `s be of any use to him.

I have not had a response yet, but assuming it is positive I will PM you some details

Regards

Andy

Andy 831, Feb 17, 2007
  15. scotty

scotty

scotty, Feb 17, 2007
Ask a Question