valve amp guinea pigs needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Apr 9, 2010.

1. bottleneck

smegger68

I'm running an Audion Sterling into Horn Shoppe Model 1 speakers, would love to put your amp through it's paces!

smegger68, Apr 18, 2010
  2. bottleneck

jatinder

Re: listening to your amp

Hi Bottleneck,

I can't PM you as it looks as though you've exceeded your private message quota...

Anyway, how about Fri 23rd April?

--Jatinder

jatinder, Apr 20, 2010
  3. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

I'd love to Chris.

I don't have exclusive control of the piggy bank :(. To be honest I like my D700s and anything bigger would be a difficult fit.

Dev, Apr 21, 2010
  4. bottleneck

nando nando

hi steve, just to let you know that link that you have has a very big virus.
    regards,
    nando.

nando, Apr 21, 2010
  5. bottleneck

speedy.steve

What webshots? - My pics have a viral content of very nice (to me) hifi that should be spread and infect all to enlighten them:)

speedy.steve, Apr 21, 2010
  6. bottleneck

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Great evening plugging Chris' amp into my system.

I have always felt my Unison S6 partners well with the Cadence Amayas. Big, open sound, ethereal as Chris put it. Fully extended at both HF and LF, loads of detail, you really get an insight into whatever you play. The front end must help as it isn't sloppy, SME10, SME309 silver wired, Lyra Dorian, 834P Deluxe and MC3, all fettled over the years with feet and so on.

I wasn't planned at all so we had an eclectic mix on my amp first, literally as I thumbed through a few albums. We got though tracks from the following on vinyl:
    The Cranberries - No Need to Argue
    Cassandra Wilson - Glamoured
    Alison Krauss - Forgt About It
    The Rolling Stones -Goat's Head Soup
    Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra - Dukas Sorcerer's Apprentice
    Ben Webster - Soulville
    Gilles Peterson - Impressed 2

We also got though tracks from the following on CD:
    Bex Marshall - Kitchen Table
    Joss Stone - Colour Me Free

Then in went Chris' amp, left to warm up first whilst we played with coffees. Also a Creek passive which may have been a limitation

We wondered where two thirds of the music had gone, the HF and the LF (treble quieter, bass reduced, dynamics reduced). This drew attention to the midrange, perhaps the little beast was being asked unfairly to drive the allegedly efficient (91db) Amayas which probably make quite a demand at certain frequencies. The Amayas have a curved electrostatic panel down to 950hz, "simple Linkwitz crossover" and 11 inch Eton driver covering the lower registers. Great clarity, loud fast and dynamic when asked, very revealing, look like K9 in a box!

Chris explained that his amp could be tuned more towards treble. It didn't matter after adjusting though, what came across to me was how enjoyable that midrange was. Sweet, delicate, informative, subtle nuances, to be honest less tiring than my amp showing the difference between EL84 and EL34 to my mind (an I don't consider my system tiring per se).

I agree with the earlier post about clarinets, also guitar, strings and vocals. I'm going to take different speakers over to Chris at some point and we'll see whether an easier load brings out dynamics better. Certainly, I think it has great potential and I would buy this at £700 and partner it sympathetically in preference to the well known solid state brands or Chinese valve imports.

I also liked the fit and finish of the case too and connections round the back, no sign of it being a home made amp or prototype.

Chris will need to get some decent shots in daylight but these will give you an idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul L, Apr 22, 2010
  7. bottleneck

nando nando

Bottle Necks Valve Amp

chris what happend to this wonderfull amp that i heard so many good things about? i am very mucht interested about it to not only to hear and see it but to help to marking it,.......please inform us,
    regards,
    nando.

nando, May 12, 2010
  8. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

I didn't see any point in a separate thread for your question Joseph, so I've merged it with Chris' original thread.

Dev, May 12, 2010
  9. bottleneck

nando nando

cheers, bring it on,
    me loves valves..
    nando.

nando, May 12, 2010
  10. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Nando

I parked it for now.

Main problem being the supplier of the transformers which were all made for the amp is an ''intermitant supplier'', and would cause stock availability issues I feel.

I may bring it back in the future, but would want to make a few improvements too.

Thanks again
    All the best

bottleneck, May 13, 2010
Ask a Question